Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
And some people will still claim in this thread that a large number of our homeless haven't been relocating here over the past decade...
Maybe because they're right.

"Is the county’s homeless population really just people coming from out of state?

Well, no, actually. The Homeless Authority’s report notes that the majority of the homeless people here have lived in Los Angeles County for 10 years or longer. About 75% of the homeless adults and children in adult families said they had lived somewhere in Southern California before becoming homeless."

Westside saw the biggest jump in its homeless population, and other trends from the homeless count results:
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...604-story.html

Quote:
Regards,

Somebody Who Actually Lives Here and Knows What He's Talking About
Interesting that you never said a word to that poster from Chicago who claims to know all about L.A.'s homeless. Gee, what a puzzler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

"Is the county’s homeless population really just people coming from out of state?

Well, no, actually. The Homeless Authority’s report notes that the majority of the homeless people here have lived in Los Angeles County for 10 years or longer. About 75% of the homeless adults and children in adult families said they had lived somewhere in Southern California before becoming homeless."

Westside saw the biggest jump in its homeless population, and other trends from the homeless count results:

Interesting that you never said a word to that poster from Chicago who claims to know all about L.A.'s homeless. Gee, what a puzzler.
Oh good grief man, do you really think that 12% are people who all lost their homes within a year here in L.A.?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM

21,905 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Oh good grief man, do you really think that 12% are people who all lost their homes within a year here in L.A.?
Yes.

But let’s say, just for the hell of it that the 12% aren’t from LA. So, where in the country did they come from?

Where did that many people reduce numbers elsewhere?

Where is homelessness suddenly lower to account for these “new Angelinos”?

Thousands of homeless ... suddenly off the counts in other cities / states.

Where oh where is homelessness missing 6,000 miserable souls?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 PM

464 posts, read 291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Good points, nailed that down, thanks for your participation here, I have enjoyed hearing from people who care enough to actually look and find out without the bellyacher "agenda" some others seem to have approached the topic with.

I wondered about people from "outside LA" who had moved from some other So. Cal location...

You hear about the "homeless downtown," I bet many just assume that that's where they are supposed to be.

Others will branch out, not going too far from "home," maybe down to San Diego and other parts like OC, looking for greener pastures, but still in So. Cal.

Myself, I would work my way up towards Goleta Ca.

And of course I did ultimately leave So. Cal, I knew better than to try LA...

I tell ya' how reluctant I was to leave though, I took a Greyhound up to Seattle, we got here on a Friday night, Pioneer Square was going crazy, I ALMOST got back on the bus to come back to So. Cal!

But, reason got the better of me and I decided I'd come up here, might as well give it a try, coming from LA, how bad could Seattle actually be?

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-04-2019 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes.

But let’s say, just for the hell of it that the 12% aren’t from LA. So, where in the country did they come from?

Where did that many people reduce numbers elsewhere?

Where is homelessness suddenly lower to account for these “new Angelinos”?

Thousands of homeless ... suddenly off the counts in other cities / states.

Where oh where is homelessness missing 6,000 miserable souls?
So, you want me to find the data, countrywide, that shows a deficit of homeless to account for the increase in L.A.? And if I don't, what I've stated isn't valid?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
So, you want me to find the data, countrywide, that shows a deficit of homeless to account for the increase in L.A.? And if I don't, what I've stated isn't valid?
Well, let’s see now. I, and several others, have repeatedly posted data showing that 65% of LA’s homeless lived in LA for 20 years or more before becoming homeless ... and 75% lived locally for 10 or more years before becoming homeless ... and another almost 15% lived in LA for 2 or more years before homelessness got them. We have posted links to research from numerous other cities that show similar numbers elsewhere. We have linked studies that show how the homeless lose their housing under certain urban economic growth conditions that LA is experiencing, from rising costs of rents to destruction of SRO’s and other low rent options.

You have shown us what?

Exasperated mumbling and blustering and opinionations ... but not a lick of verifiable rebuttal.

So yeah, your validity is still ... um, MIA.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, let’s see now. I, and several others, have repeatedly posted data showing that 65% of LA’s homeless lived in LA for 20 years or more before becoming homeless ... and 75% lived locally for 10 or more years before becoming homeless ... and another almost 15% lived in LA for 2 or more years before homelessness got them. We have posted links to research from numerous other cities that show similar numbers elsewhere. We have linked studies that show how the homeless lose their housing under certain urban economic growth conditions that LA is experiencing, from rising costs of rents to destruction of SRO’s and other low rent options.

You have shown us what?

Exasperated mumbling and blustering and opinionations ... but not a lick of verifiable rebuttal.

So yeah, your validity is still ... um, MIA.
How was that data verified? Was a background check run on all participants in those studies?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,434,723 times
Quote:
How was that data verified? Was a background check run on all participants in those studies?
LOL. Look who asks for data verification when presented with facts that run counter to his narrative. And we are supposed to just trust your "observations" because you live here!

As I've said before, I live much closer to the eye of the storm than you (Downtown)...so by your logic I know more about this problem than you.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
LOL. Look who asks for data verification when presented with facts that run counter to his narrative. And we are supposed to just trust your "observations" because you live here!

As I've said before, I live much closer to the eye of the storm than you (Downtown)...so by your logic I know more about this problem than you.
Tulemutt, has done that to me too many times to count. BTW, welcome to the thread.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Lol. Why would it need background checking? People living in filth on the streets are up to exactly what scam they need to lie about where they lived previously? Aside from that, yes, many are backgrounded when they apply for assistance. And the services that do this provide information to social scientists who study homelessness.

Any way you slice it, you haven’t provided a lick of verification for any of your accusations and assumptions. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles