Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM

10,672 posts, read 6,160,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OK, but who's going to the clubs here? Shopping at Whole Foods? Standing in line when the latest device that cost several hundred dollars is released? People under 30.

As an example I mentioned the club "The Abbey" in West Hollywood. I had gone there years ago when it was just a coffee house, now people pay $12 just to park their car, $15 for a drink, maybe a cover charge..getting the picture? I get tired of hearing people cry "poormouth" when they're stupid enough to p**s away all that they earn, or worse use credit cards to run up bar tabs.

There was a rash of cell phone thefts there, people(again young people) that their $600 phone was stolen.

Even if I was younger I would go to places that have street parking(for free) and realistic drink prices.

Not that long ago I met a friend at a trendy DTLA restaurant for lunch, couldn't help but notice the patrons were late 20s maybe early 30s, I had burger for $14( it was tiny and fries were extra), had a margarita($10 tiny rocks glass), the bill for the two of us with one drink each and burgers and fries was over $70..never again...LOL, and had to pay to park....so again if younger people who are making good money but thinking this is how to spend it.....oh well.
I think your judging a whole generation based on observing some rich kids in weHo..
And who knows. Judt cuz thryre there doesnt mean theyre spendig all their money. Theyre probly there maybe once in a while. Or maybe theyre broke and dont manage their money well. Could be alot of factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:21 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The era when telephone answering machines were only for the well to do ended in about 1974-5.
Sorry, nobody we knew, on a starting salary in the late 1970s, had an answering machine, at least not where we lived. Maybe you lived the high life.

Quote:
No rent control in the mid seventies in California
I don't know where you lived then, but rent control was in Santa Monica in 1979. Reading comprehension is your friend (post #219).

Santa Monica Rent Control was adopted by the voters in April 1979 in response to a shortage of housing units, low vacancy rates and rapidly rising rents. https://www.smgov.net/Overview.aspx

Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
1 in 6 millennials has $100,000 or more saved now .

I was kind of surprised when I read.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ay/1053803001/
I'd take that survey with a grain of salt. Poor sample size, for one. And the validity of self reporting survey data is questionable.

Here's What You Should Know About That Survey Saying 1 in 6 Millennials Has $100K in Savings:
Unpacking the Stats: 1 in 6 Millennials Has Saved $100K | Fortune

Old 02-17-2018, 11:10 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
The era when telephone answering machines were only for the well to do ended in about 1974-5. No rent control in the mid seventies in California. NYC and several other eastern cities, yes.

Santa Monica got rent control after L.A. did.
Heh. Now you got me thinkin back a ways. My dad was a dirt poor farmer who moved to the cities where I was raised. Blue collar home, but we got by well due to my parents' tightwad budgeting and hard work.

But Dad took a shine to one 'o those early answer machines in 1964 ... said it was the future of communications (putting callers off so as the callee could decide whether he was of a mind to be responsive or not). He bought one ... it had a little tape recorder in it and a mechanical arm that sat under the handset to physically lift it into the air off the cradle buttons when it got a ring tone. Then the recoding would speak out loud so the whole room could hear if anyone was there: “Hello! This is George's machine! He's not home but lucky you! I am!” Etc. Oh he had fun making tapes.

Anyway, when I left for the military a year later Dad was still delighted to be using his contraption.

Key topical words here: dirt poor, farmer, blue collar, 1964, bought one (answer machine)

Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Dad took a shine to one 'o those early answer machines in 1964 ... said it was the future of communications
Your dad must have been a man before his time. I actually miss the answering machines that let you hear the person leaving the message (although listening to the outgoing message each time got old).

Interesting article from the NY Times, in 1991:

Today, almost two out of five households have answering machines, more than double the number only four years ago, according to the Electronic Industries Association, a trade group for consumer-electronics companies.

Typical retail prices for a company's whole line of answering machines have come down to less than $50 to $250 today, from the $250-$450 range in 1980.

All About/Answering Machines - For Yuppies, Now Plain Folks, Too - NYTimes.com

Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think your judging a whole generation based on observing some rich kids in weHo..
And who knows. Judt cuz thryre there doesnt mean theyre spendig all their money. Theyre probly there maybe once in a while. Or maybe theyre broke and dont manage their money well. Could be alot of factors.
Rich kids from WeHo? Nice try, they come from all over to go to these clubs and pay outrageous prices to be trendy.

You're missing the point, even if they're not spending all their money, they're p**sing away a lot of it that could be saved or invested. If say you're making $80K in LA as a single person, you can still live well and put a nice chunk of change aside each month. But not if think nothing of spending $20 to have a burger and fries, or a night out just for yourself will cost you a $100 for a few drinks and parking the car.

As I mentioned earlier the DTLA restaurant WAY OVERPRICED for what you got and the quality of the food was average, sorry there are plenty of burger joints and many other places(I think we all know this) where you can get a great meal for less than half of what I paid. In addition to have to park....no thanks. Friend wanted to go there so I said OK, I told them never again. If I am going to spend that kind of money to eat out, I want a high quality meal, not get ripped off.

As PT Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute", and I think many of the younger people today fit that category(not all of course), but they must have what they want and they must have it now, it used to be you saved up for something, and if you couldn't afford it, you did without it.

The reason we had the housing crisis in this country back in 2009, was due to the fact people(again first time home buyers) buy houses with no money down....beyond stupid. Used to be you had to have at least 10% down or even 20% to show you could afford it.

We have an entitlement society now.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Rich kids from WeHo? Nice try, they come from all over to go to these clubs and pay outrageous prices to be trendy.

You're missing the point, even if they're not spending all their money, they're p**sing away a lot of it that could be saved or invested. If say you're making $80K in LA as a single person, you can still live well and put a nice chunk of change aside each month. But not if think nothing of spending $20 to have a burger and fries, or a night out just for yourself will cost you a $100 for a few drinks and parking the car.

As I mentioned earlier the DTLA restaurant WAY OVERPRICED for what you got and the quality of the food was average, sorry there are plenty of burger joints and many other places(I think we all know this) where you can get a great meal for less than half of what I paid. In addition to have to park....no thanks. Friend wanted to go there so I said OK, I told them never again. If I am going to spend that kind of money to eat out, I want a high quality meal, not get ripped off.

As PT Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute", and I think many of the younger people today fit that category(not all of course), but they must have what they want and they must have it now, it used to be you saved up for something, and if you couldn't afford it, you did without it.

The reason we had the housing crisis in this country back in 2009, was due to the fact people(again first time home buyers) buy houses with no money down....beyond stupid. Used to be you had to have at least 10% down or even 20% to show you could afford it.

We have an entitlement society now.
Nit pick, sorry ... but having 10% or 20% down doesn't prove you can afford the balance, for one thing. And for another it doesn't prove you'll still have a paycheck to make your payments next month. It just proves you had some access to cash at the time you signed the deal.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,971,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
True, and as CA4now said. We’re not getting passes to Disneyland, and getting luxuries. Many people that I know within my age group are living with roomates and working multiple jobs.

None of us honestly have much hope that we’ll own a home. Just hope that we have a roof over our heads. At this point we just hope to do more than just simply survive. We just want to have the careers we worked hard for and a decent place to live.

I think thats the big difference. Previous generations dreamt of extravance. We just wanna not be homeless lol.
Question for you, Chicano3000X. I suspect you've considered moving to a lower COL location. What's holding you back? Why not relocate to a place where you can, in your words, have more than just a roof over your head? Why not relocate to a place where you can do more than just simply survive? Where you can have a career and a decent place to live?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:52 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,971,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So, where do they live? Mostly in $200 a week seedy motels most of which are being torn down to make room for more expensive housing. What's next for them? Living in their cars I guess...
Or, I suppose, they could go to college and become electrical engineers or on to law school and become patent lawyers, thereby improving their income earning potential.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Or, I suppose, they could go to college and become electrical engineers or on to law school and become patent lawyers, thereby improving their income earning potential.
I have to guess you have your tongue firmly in cheek here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles