Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM

81 posts, read 339,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
I see that this thread has degenerated into political issues, but as one who has lived the greater part of 45+ years in Southern California, from Torrance, to OC to the Antelope Valley, let me say that you could not pay me to live anywhere there again. I escaped just a year ago, and I have never been happier than I am now. I have a daughter in OC, one in Valley Village and another in Calabasas and yes, you better make $200k a year if you want to live a half way decent life. My daughter and her husband bought a 60+ year old completely refurbished home in VV 2 years ago for $780k, and you can go three blocks and see the homeless folks. I got to feeling that I lived in another country. Everything, and I mean, everything is in Spanish. I now live in a small town in Western PA, the town has less than 1700 people. I bought a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, full basement house on more than a half an acre. Winter was fun, not too bad at all, I have not heard Spanish since I got here. Spring is absolutely glorious, I paid $90k. Sure we have some fixing up to do, but I love living here. We are 20-30 minutes from some nice metro areas and 1.5 hours tops to Pittsburgh. Neighbors here are wonderful, just attended my first town meeting, could not have felt more at home. The librarian knows me as I walk in the door, saves books unasked for, just on knowing what I like to read. Only down thing is no mexican food, but it is worth it. I have nothing against hispanics, just not illegals. My grandkids are hispanic as is my youngest daughter. Just respect our laws and come here legally. Learn our language, do not expect us to conform to you, you assimiliate into our culture, if yours was so great, stay where you are.
Thank you. So beautifully said, too. However, it is considered politically incorrect of course. But, I will add this, in the last three years, I have had as many friends move out of Los Angeles. One to Portland Oregon, one to Kansas City Missouri and another to Wilmington North Carolina. They love it and are so glad to be gone from Los Angeles. Los Angeles is just in a state of ruin, there is no question about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
I see that this thread has degenerated into political issues, but as one who has lived the greater part of 45+ years in Southern California, from Torrance, to OC to the Antelope Valley, let me say that you could not pay me to live anywhere there again. I escaped just a year ago, and I have never been happier than I am now. I have a daughter in OC, one in Valley Village and another in Calabasas and yes, you better make $200k a year if you want to live a half way decent life. My daughter and her husband bought a 60+ year old completely refurbished home in VV 2 years ago for $780k, and you can go three blocks and see the homeless folks. I got to feeling that I lived in another country. Everything, and I mean, everything is in Spanish. I now live in a small town in Western PA, the town has less than 1700 people. I bought a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, full basement house on more than a half an acre. Winter was fun, not too bad at all, I have not heard Spanish since I got here. Spring is absolutely glorious, I paid $90k. Sure we have some fixing up to do, but I love living here. We are 20-30 minutes from some nice metro areas and 1.5 hours tops to Pittsburgh. Neighbors here are wonderful, just attended my first town meeting, could not have felt more at home. The librarian knows me as I walk in the door, saves books unasked for, just on knowing what I like to read. Only down thing is no mexican food, but it is worth it. I have nothing against hispanics, just not illegals. My grandkids are hispanic as is my youngest daughter. Just respect our laws and come here legally. Learn our language, do not expect us to conform to you, you assimiliate into our culture, if yours was so great, stay where you are.
Very well said....ditto!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
It's weird hearing about everybody's experience in LA. I think I have a great objective opinion on the subject having lived there (CA) my entire life. I'm American, poor family, white...everyday I was told how rich I was by "others" while I busted my A** working three jobs to put myself through school at a very "diverse" college (one that I was able to get classes and could afford with rent etc...). I finally, at 23 realized I had to leave for a future and was experiencing a lot of threats in the neighborhood I lived in (one that I could afford). I moved to another state...haven't looked back. Own my own place, have a dog (never in LA), a new car and a life. I walk down the street in peace and thank god nobody knows what CSUDH stands for. LA is diverse but that does not mean accepting of all people. Stereotypes are never good nor are they acceptable to anybody. It's wise for people to understand that they can become what they supposedly hate.

Last edited by overagain; 07-25-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 AM

93 posts, read 309,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
No different than New York a hundred years ago, they seem to have done well. Give LA's ethnic citizens a generation or two to assimilate into the greater LA culture if it survives the "reconquista".
There was way more pressure to assimilate though. And if you think about the three largest immigrant groups in NYC at the time Jews were fairly analogous to modern Asians, the Irish were dirt poor and backwards but had no language barrier and Italians - especially from southern Italy - were probably comparable to hispanics in a number of ways but did not overwhelm the city in a comparable fashion. I hope you're right but I'm not as optimistic.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,317,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I have lived my entire life and I have got to say this is a third world country!

Their is no middle class in L.A. either you are super rich or poor!

Traffic here is close to something you would see in Asia.

Housing here is insane and I dont understand why a house in Van Nuys costs 650K when its not even a nice area!

How do people pay their mortgage are they really making 200K a year?!

I do not understand why in just about any other state in the country 650K gets you a nice house in a good school district.

L.A. sucks and I am hoping I can make 200K+ so I can live here othewise I will need to move to another state!
I'd pay 650K for a house in Van Nuys before I pay the same amount for a house here in London were you can't even swing a cat because they are that small. By the way have visited a real 3rd world country?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,151,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
There was way more pressure to assimilate though. And if you think about the three largest immigrant groups in NYC at the time Jews were fairly analogous to modern Asians, the Irish were dirt poor and backwards but had no language barrier and Italians - especially from southern Italy - were probably comparable to hispanics in a number of ways but did not overwhelm the city in a comparable fashion. I hope you're right but I'm not as optimistic.
The New Yorkers of that time felt utterly overwhelmed and disgusted and set up societies to keep out immigrants. That was the real beginning of "white flight". Those Protestant New Yorkers were appalled at all those "Papist" coming in and couldn't get away from them fast enough. You should read some literature from back then. Nothing could get a young women kicked out of the family quicker then bringing home a Jew, an Irishmen or an Italian.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 AM

240 posts, read 889,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
No different than New York a hundred years ago, they seem to have done well. Give LA's ethnic citizens a generation or two to assimilate into the greater LA culture if it survives the "reconquista".
This may be true, but New York was also a mostly dirty, uncomfortable place to live for many years. It's the not the kind of environment most educated people would want to live in.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 AM

93 posts, read 309,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
The New Yorkers of that time felt utterly overwhelmed and disgusted and set up societies to keep out immigrants. That was the real beginning of "white flight". Those Protestant New Yorkers were appalled at all those "Papist" coming in and couldn't get away from them fast enough. You should read some literature from back then. Nothing could get a young women kicked out of the family quicker then bringing home a Jew, an Irishmen or an Italian.
Believe me I am more than acquainted with the history of New York. I don't recall suggesting in any way shape or form that anyone was welcomed with open arms. Especially in the mid to late 1800's when there was no sanitation among other things and cholera, typhus and other diseases were rampant. I was speaking not about how immigrants have historically been treated but about what attributes they had to aid in their assimilation.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM

58 posts, read 159,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krass42 View Post
though I haven't lived there, i love places as diverse as LA. OK, there is crime and all but being from Europe there is nothing more depressing than a suburb without any character....everything looks the same....people are scared and don't know how to live with people from other nations. I have NEVER been to a country that is as segregated as the US.....how is a country multicultural if the individual cultures live in different areas and basically hate each other. LA has problems, sure but try Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires and you'll see that it ain't that bad....and if you end up robbed in South Central, it was probably your own fault.
If you have not lived in LA it will be hard to judge this city... going somewhere on holiday or living there for many years makes a lot of difference.
You cannot compare LA with Europe where nothing is more depressing than a suburb without any character... It's an easy statement to say that people are scared and don't know how to live with other nations.... to say that it "was probably your own fault if you end up being robbed in South Central" is quite a statement.

I think you should live in LA before you tell us "it ain't that bad..."

And believe me: I love LA.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
People that hate LA, are typically Racists.

LA has at least 8 different lifestyles you can choose. Live like a hippie in Mountains of Topanga, live like a Heroin Addict in MacArthur Park, Live like a Korean in Korea Town, or in an all Chinese Suburb in Monterrey Park, or be totally whitewashed and live in Manhattan Beach, grow dreadlocks and live in Venice, or get a mohawk and live in Echo Park, or be a buff worked out gay guy and live in West Hollywood, or a stock broker and live in a highrise in Century City or Santa Monica. Want a Family? Live in South Pasadena, La Canada, Montrose, or the hills of SFV. People who post negative stuff about LA have a point........but they usually miss the BIG point, is that there is NOWHERE on earth with the diversity of CHOICE that you have in Los Angeles.

Being Poor anywhere sucks.
But being Rich in LA, beats being Rich in North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles