Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I would hope that human civilizatio has progressed more over the last hundred years.
What do you mean "progressed"?

Over 100 years ago, one of the meanings of the word "race" was "nationality." It was part of the definition. It wasn't an insult, so there's nothing to progress from.

President Theodore Roosevelt even coined the term "American race." He believed that America had created a new race, the American race, unlike the English, German, French, and other European races from which it had originated. Roosevelt was proud to belong to his self-defined "American race."

People are way too hypersensitive whenever the word "race" comes up, always ready to be offended over some imagined slight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
What about the gender ratios? My own candid empirical observational experience suggests that far, far more white women will date outside their ethnicity (i.e. hook up with a Hispanic man) than the other way around.

Not saying it doesn't happen-I know it does (myself being one-my SO is second generation Mex), but at least in CA, it would appear that many, many white men are simply getting left out. Maybe consciously or subconsciously-these women realize that "brown" is the future and are mating accordingly. Plus, it doesn't seem that all that many Hispanic women are attracted to whites to begin with. Again, not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying that the "mixes" are definitely not balanced; ergo white women/other man couples seem to outnumber the white man/other woman couples by 5:1.

Hispanic man/white woman, Hispanic woman/Black Man, Black man/white woman: Fairly common

White man/Asian woman: also, somewhat common.

Asian man/white woman, Black woman/Asian Man, and Black woman/white man: almost unheard of.

Am I just imaging this or is there possibly something to it?

Last edited by Des-Lab; 07-17-2017 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
What about the gender ratios? My own candid empirical observational experience suggests that far, far more white women will date outside their ethnicity (i.e. hook up with a Hispanic man) than the other way around.

Not saying it doesn't happen-I know it does (myself being one-my SO is second generation Mex), but at least in CA, it would appear that many, many white men are simply getting left out. Maybe consciously or subconsciously-these women realize that "brown" is the future and are mating accordingly. Plus, it doesn't seem that all that many Hispanic women are attracted to whites to begin with. Again, not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying that the "mixes" are definitely not balanced; ergo white women/other man couples seem to outnumber the white man/other woman couples by 5:1.

Hispanic man/white woman, Hispanic woman/Black Man, Black man/white woman: Fairly common

Asian man/white woman, Black woman/Asian Man, and Black woman/white man: almost unheard of.

You're imagining it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Add me to the list of celebrities please.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:

Your empirical observations are just that: they are personal and do not equate to the broader universe of inter-ethnic dating.

The founder of OK Cupid was a math major at Harvard and a few years back used their data to shed light on dating preferences based on race/ethnicity. The findings are the OPPOSITE of what you are claiming. That is, white women are the least likely to date outside their ethnicity/race. White men and Asian women get the most interest from those outside their ethnicity/race.

Odds Favor White Men, Asian Women On Dating App : Code Switch : NPR

Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

Almost all of my white friends have been with a Latina and almost all of my Latino friends have been with a white girl.

And as far as marriage between Latinos and whites goes, there is no gender imbalance.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Add me to the list of celebrities please.
Please give me your autograph, so that I can say that I "knew" you, back in the day.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Please give me your autograph, so that I can say that I "knew" you, back in the day.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Your empirical observations are just that: they are personal and do not equate to the broader universe of inter-ethnic dating.

The founder of OK Cupid was a math major at Harvard and a few years back used their data to shed light on dating preferences based on race/ethnicity. The findings are the OPPOSITE of what you are claiming. That is, white women are the least likely to date outside their ethnicity/race. White men and Asian women get the most interest from those outside their ethnicity/race.

Odds Favor White Men, Asian Women On Dating App : Code Switch : NPR
You cannot fully extrapolate marriages and unions based on dating preferences online. Moreover, this was only one dating site.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You cannot fully extrapolate marriages and unions based on dating preferences online. Moreover, this was only one dating site.
I didn't suggest the Ok Cupid study should be used to extrapolate to marriages. I was responding to a poster who was commenting about "dating" people from other ethnicities/races. The Ok Cupid "study" is not a peer reviewed study of any sort. But it is a treasure trove of data indicating people's dating preferences.

"For example, black females only get responses to a third of their outgoing messages compared with nearly 50 percent for non-black women."

The Secret Science of Online Dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles