Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM

32 posts, read 100,514 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to SoCal. I work in sales and would likely have to travel all over the LA area / Orange County / and beyond on most days. I'm just wondering if there are any sales people out there that drive a lot durring 'non-rush' hour times - afternoon - evenings, etc, and can give me some good opinions on what I can expect.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,021,055 times
Default Non-Rush Hour

I'm not in sales, but I do field work in my job, so I spend quite a bit of the day in my car. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a non-rush hour. Traffic on the freeways is terrible, no matter what time of day - even weekends are bad. Probably the best time to drive is between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM

so does that mean that no one is ever moving at 65mph on any LA or Orange county freeways unless at those times?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,208,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cali View Post
so does that mean that no one is ever moving at 65mph on any LA or Orange county freeways unless at those times?
Pretty much. My sales territory was L.A., San Jaquin Valley up through the Central Coast and there is no way I would do that again now. Rush hour used to be about 4 o'clock about 30 years ago. It now starts at 6 a.m. and again as early as 2 p.m. going home through about 7:30 ish. I live in Ventura County/L.A. border....it usually would take about 15 minutes to get to Woodland Hills in the Valley...at 6 p.m. it takes an hour. Hope your gas is covered and you don't have a stick shift!

Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM

puffle... are you still in sales in california?
do you think it would be better up in the Bay area?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,549 times
It's true that traffic is bad unless you are driving from 9pm - 4am but keep in mind that during THOSE hours they do the construction and cut many freeways down to only 1 lane which backs a lot of freeways up even in the middle of the night. It's usually only for a few miles in that instance but it's still something to think about. Traffic in LA is bad and if you were to be driving all over LA and Orange County you would tire of that REALLY REALLY fast. Gas prices are high, drivers are crazy -I got rear ended yesterday by a Mexican guy and had to let him go because traffic was so bad and we were on an onramp so there was no place to pull over and exchange information. I know it's presumptuous but I figured he didn't have insurance anyway and the accident was minor. Just keep in mind that cost of living is higher here too because of all the accidents, crime, gas prices and weather. A lot of people complain about commuting in the Bay Area too if you go on their boards but it's not as bad as down here. Parking is AWFUL in San Francisco though if you're going to be driving your own car. If I were doing sales I would rather be in the Bay Area doing them personally but I love the Bay Area and I know you weren't impressed with it.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:41 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,208,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cali View Post
puffle... are you still in sales in california?
do you think it would be better up in the Bay area?
In answer to your question,no I am not in outside sales anymore and can't imagine it now. By Bay area, if you mean San Fransisco or Oakland, no way it is better. Equals out in traffic and driving, where there are tolls and expensive parking along with the hills in the Bay area. Do you have a choice in this?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 PM

38,921 posts, read 22,927,880 times
I could remember about 20 years ago (yikes! ), driving back home from visiting a friend of mine who was going to school at UCLA and he lived on campus. It was about 2:30-3:00 a.m. when I was on the 405 going south. Even back then (mid 80s) at that hour, the freeway was a PARKING LOT! The traffic was crawling and didn't loosen up until right before LAX. I didn't get home until after 4:00 a.m. Thankfully, this was a very early Saturday morning and I didn't have to be at work, so I just stayed in bed until around noon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles