Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,035 times

Advertisements

I currently am living in England, finishing off my studies before hopefully moving over to USA. I've been browsing through this forum quite a bit before deciding to register an account and have seen Studio City come up as a safe and nice community to live in.

Now, me and a roommate (or two) are looking to come over to Studio City if possible, and were wondering what sort of money we would need to be earning per month to get by, and what the chances are of us actually being able to afford it between us.

I understand that it is likely to be expensive, and that it really depends on what jobs we get once over there, but just looking on average for now.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,141,212 times
In Studio City, you are looking at 1,000 for a one bedroom; 1500-1800 for a two bedroom; around 2100-2500 for a three bedroom. Studio City tends to be a decent area but try to get as close to Ventura blvd as you can. Studio City butts up against North Hollywood and you don't want to be there.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM

493 posts, read 667,772 times
Not being a Socal resident I find it somewhat interesting that North Hollywood has such a bad rap. What kind of ppl live here that makes it crappy?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,027,611 times
North Hollywood is not at all bad. I think a lot of people equate NoHo with Mexicans so they think its a "bad area" to be in. There are some really nice and hip areas of North Hollywood. The NoHo arts district is a pretty cool area. The homes in 91601 North Hollywood costs more than my house in Woodland Hills. I wanted to live there but couldnt afford the houses, so I had to "settle" for Woodland Hills. North Hollywood is HUGE so there are some pretty bad areas to be in - Vineland near victory/Vanowen; Lankershim/Vanowen; Coldwater Canyon/Sherman Way.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM

485 posts, read 1,707,021 times
I live in Van Nuys (not a bad part, but it sure isn't Sherman Oaks) and I pay almost $1400 or a one-bedroom - there is no way that you can get a one-bedroom in Studio City for $1000. It is possible if you live in a guest house or something, I guess, but a decent one-bedroom there will be at least $1500 a month.

Believe me, we have been trying to get out of Van Nuys but I have been doing SO MUCH research and refuse to pay that much for a one-bed. Sherman Oaks is just as expensive as Studio City. You may be able to get a studio apt. for about $1100 in those areas.

You should try looking at Valley Village, which is adjacent to Studio City and much cheaper. The buildings seem a little older and rundown in Valley Village but I believe it is a pretty safe area.

As for North Hollywood, I know it has some decent, recently-renovated areas, but much of it is quite simply, ugly. I have driven through it many times and it is filled with graffiti, rundown buildings and there are more signs in Spanish than there are in English.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM

10,041 posts, read 9,548,305 times
Go to one of the apartment search websites, such as rent.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dan Man View Post
I currently am living in England, finishing off my studies before hopefully moving over to USA. I've been browsing through this forum quite a bit before deciding to register an account and have seen Studio City come up as a safe and nice community to live in.

Now, me and a roommate (or two) are looking to come over to Studio City if possible, and were wondering what sort of money we would need to be earning per month to get by, and what the chances are of us actually being able to afford it between us.

I understand that it is likely to be expensive, and that it really depends on what jobs we get once over there, but just looking on average for now.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me out.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM

48 posts, read 211,995 times
those rent prices are outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank god i bought my 2 br 2 bath+ den condo brand new in studio city back in 2001

my mortgage is only 1400/month

property value has doubled since then

oh, and YES........im a block next to ventura

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM

493 posts, read 667,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by los$candalous View Post

property value has doubled since then
So have foreclosures

Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM

48 posts, read 211,995 times
ahhhh yes

but that has absolutely nothing to do with me

im happy in SC........have everything i need.........

but when the family grows and we need to move out..........next 5 years or so........then i will worry about the banks/lenders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles