Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 AM

8,682 posts, read 11,136,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can't put homeless people in internment camps, and you can't make them live in the desert. Have you ever bothered reading the constitution?

Actually if you want to enforce 'anti-camping' laws and arrest them for sleeping on the streets you need ample shelter space because the courts have held that you can't criminalize camping in public unless there is shelter space available with no more than a one hour wait.

There aren't any easy answers to homelessness, it's gotten real bad here in Sacramento too but talking about 'solutions' that violate state and federal law aren't really very helpful.
I think you need to show me WHERE in the constitution it states people can't be put into internment camps.
You can't because it is not in the constitution.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,619,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think you need to show me WHERE in the constitution it states people can't be put into internment camps.
You can't because it is not in the constitution.

Bob.
We have enough existing laws that could just be enforced and we'd see a lot less issues with the homeless..but unfortunately we have politicians in this city that refuse to enforce those laws.
Just like they refuse to work with the government on immigration to get people that aren't supposed to be here out of the country.

It's the whole "we are all human" bs

Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,235,246 times
End maddening altruism.

If people cannot help themselves and are endangering themselves and/or society, they need to be placed in a mental institution.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,259,978 times
QUESTION: why doesn't Australia have a homeless problem this bad? (I think I know the answer but I want to hear it from others)

Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 PM

600 posts, read 573,435 times
Deport all of them. I sick of seeing them begging for money. Unlike the undocumented workers who actually WANT to work. Funny how I see the illegals selling roses, oranges, or standing in front of Home Depot willing to WORK, and on the same street, I see homeless people with a sign BEGGING for freebies. WTH.

Deport all of them. Europe or Canada is a nice place for them.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 AM

643 posts, read 510,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lots of mobile "homeless shelters" in Venice beach and a growing number of areas in the valley

So Venice Beach is where most of the homeless people stay? I wonder if that's why my associate is always saying they are going to Venice Beach.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 AM

9,009 posts, read 11,899,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
QUESTION: why doesn't Australia have a homeless problem this bad? (I think I know the answer but I want to hear it from others)
Just throwing out some wild guesses here.

They have a much smaller population.

They have very strict immigration policy. If you are not there legally, you are sent home.

They don't have thieves and idiots running the government.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,646,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Just throwing out some wild guesses here.
They have a much smaller population.
They have very strict immigration policy. If you are there legally, you are sent home.
They don't thieves and idiots running the government.
Australia has a homeless problem, it's interesting that people just assume that the poster who stated that they don't is correct. Australian Homelessness Problem Far Bigger Than Expected

As far as their 'strict immigration policy', in the US you almost never see an undocumented immigrant among the visible homeless, those that are homeless will generally sleep in a car or in a friend's garage or in a well hidden spot. They do not want to subject themselves to the scrutiny of local police.

What you did say that's probably correct is that they probably don't have thieves, idiots running the government- or an orange con man as president

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM

9,009 posts, read 11,899,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

What you did say that's probably correct is that they probably don't have thieves, idiots running the government- or an orange con man as president
We are talking LA's homeless problem, a local problem. I was actually referring to the local government. I should have made that clear and not give you the opportunity to inject your nonsense here.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,619,890 times
Garcetti to share personal homelessness story at LA Theatre Center - MyNewsLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles