Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,324,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Dating is LA is fine. I've had 2 girlfriends in 13 months, dates with 4 other women and a few casual hookups here and there. Most women here are not just gold diggers looking for a mark and it's not overrun with gay men. I feel like most of the men who complain about these sorts of exaggerated and imaginary problems are the Elliot Rodger types. Women are supposed to flock to them and appreciate all their hidden greatness, guys that do have hot girlfriends don't deserve them and are inferior, the women who date guys who aren't them are sluts and skanks, etc.
You should have made a disclaimer that you're in the top 1% with no dependents. You also claim you're physically fit, which is much easier to do when you don't have to work and can afford personal trainers and or nice gyms. If you were making $10-20 an hour you'd have an entirely different perspective. Barely scraping by, no money for dates, having a gut because no time for working out, etc. That's 90%+ of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,835,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You should have made a disclaimer that you're in the top 1% with no dependents. You also claim you're physically fit, which is much easier to do when you don't have to work and can afford personal trainers and or nice gyms. If you were making $10-20 an hour you'd have an entirely different perspective. Barely scraping by, no money for dates, having a gut because no time for working out, etc. That's 90%+ of men.
Your hatred for Mordinsolus is purely comical at this point.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM

590 posts, read 716,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
If I were a woman I would only date guys who know the difference between your/you're and their/they're
I would have never dated a woman any longer once she called me out on my grammar. Im not a writer, nor do i care about my grammar that much. It doesn't make or break my life....besides grammar nazis are about as bad as the nosey neighbor who is always up your ass wanting to know all of your business....

Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 PM

642 posts, read 2,558,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
L.A. is the best city in the world for LGBTs especially gay men, and that's a good thing. That's something to be proud of. However, for hetero men, it's a different story. The parallel is more with what San Francisco is like for gay and bisexual men. The heavy concentration of gay and bisexual men in SF works in the favor of hetero men. .
Interesting point! I had never though of that

Old 03-25-2015, 06:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,324,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Your hatred for Mordinsolus is purely comical at this point.
No, I'm just putting his response in context. He is coming from a very rare perspective. When you have enough money to never work (thus endless time to care about personal appearance, plus dates at high end restaurants) and can afford personal trainers, fancy gyms, and good nutrition, yeah, you're gonna maximize your chances. Dating in LA as a rich, physically fit guy with lots of leisure time is a totally different story.

And I'm not speaking out of jealousy because my lifestyle is closer to Mordinsolus than most.

But if you're the average Angeleno who can barely afford rent, has little time to work out, and relies on fast and or cheap food, it gets much much harder. And that's the vast majority of people.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,194,258 times
Quote:
No, I'm just putting his response in context.
You're not equipped to put anything I write in context. You know next to nothing about me or how I live my life. I work seven days a week starting a business and I don't live an exorbitant lifestyle.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
No, I'm just putting his response in context. He is coming from a very rare perspective. When you have enough money to never work (thus endless time to care about personal appearance, plus dates at high end restaurants) and can afford personal trainers, fancy gyms, and good nutrition, yeah, you're gonna maximize your chances. Dating in LA as a rich, physically fit guy with lots of leisure time is a totally different story.

And I'm not speaking out of jealousy because my lifestyle is closer to Mordinsolus than most.

But if you're the average Angeleno who can barely afford rent, has little time to work out, and relies on fast and or cheap food, it gets much much harder. And that's the vast majority of people.

OK, see this baffles me. Why would someone who is barely scraping by still choose to stay in the same situation? Ive never understood this. Like myself for example, I used to be a lowly auto technician who barely made enough to support my hobby-motocross. I got so sick of wanting things I could not afford, so I made a change. I took up welding, learned it through and through, and now make close to $40 an hour as a union welder with benefits, pension, vacation fund, you name it and life is good. I have plenty of money to support my family and still buy cool things. The only reason i could ever agree with for someone to continuously live in poverty in a massive city such as LA is if they are actively pursuing a career in acting, or modeling, or something of the like and are on the brink of success. Big cities like LA, san fran, diego, Seattle, Chicago, NY etc aren't friendly for those who barely get by. Places like that are the homes of famous designer clothes brands and big corporate business headquarters where you'll find peeps driving a ferrari or bently to work. You'd never catch me with my family of 5 trying to set up shop in place like that, thats just stupid. Case in point, new Microsoft building in Bellevue WA- you can find cars in the front parking lot that will run no less then $85k..... and, for the most part, the people who occupy the suburbs here near seattle also make a very handsome living. Some own businesses that you can find in local strip malls, lots of teriyaki joints, cleaning places etc....

Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,835,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
OK, see this baffles me. Why would someone who is barely scraping by still choose to stay in the same situation? Ive never understood this. Like myself for example, I used to be a lowly auto technician who barely made enough to support my hobby-motocross. I got so sick of wanting things I could not afford, so I made a change. I took up welding, learned it through and through, and now make close to $40 an hour as a union welder with benefits, pension, vacation fund, you name it and life is good. I have plenty of money to support my family and still buy cool things. The only reason i could ever agree with for someone to continuously live in poverty in a massive city such as LA is if they are actively pursuing a career in acting, or modeling, or something of the like and are on the brink of success. Big cities like LA, san fran, diego, Seattle, Chicago, NY etc aren't friendly for those who barely get by. Places like that are the homes of famous designer clothes brands and big corporate business headquarters where you'll find peeps driving a ferrari or bently to work. You'd never catch me with my family of 5 trying to set up shop in place like that, thats just stupid. Case in point, new Microsoft building in Bellevue WA- you can find cars in the front parking lot that will run no less then $85k..... and, for the most part, the people who occupy the suburbs here near seattle also make a very handsome living. Some own businesses that you can find in local strip malls, lots of teriyaki joints, cleaning places etc....
God, you are so simple. Most people in poverty don't have the education, skill, tools, opportunity, time, or luck it takes to just work their way out of poverty. There are a multitude of socio-economic restrictions at play here and I doubt it would be worth my time to explain them. Hopefully your kids have better education opportunities than the ones afforded to you.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,496,650 times
Quote:
God, you are so simple. Most people in poverty don't have the education, skill, tools, opportunity, time, or luck it takes to just work their way out of poverty. There are a multitude of socio-economic restrictions at play here and I doubt it would be worth my time to explain them. Hopefully your kids have better education opportunities than the ones afforded to you.
Yes, that ^^^^^^^^^.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Im so simple? Hopefully my kids have better education opportunities then the ones afforded to me? Whats with the pretentious, condescending mindsets and attitudes I see so much of from many people in socal? Is it really that important to "1-up" everyone and prove just how much more superior your interpretation of reality is? Do judgements towards others in the LA area really happen based on one little detail of a person? Jesus Christ no wonder so many people are fleeing this place in record numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles