Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,015,041 times

Advertisements

K-Town to Become The Next Luxury Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM

509 posts, read 797,457 times
this is a bit of a misnomer. ALL of K-Town will never be luxury. But SOME of it will. K-town is a city within a city. So it will have a tier of luxury, but with it's density, metro access, etc, there will always be many middle-income earners living there; (nothing wrong with that).

Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,372 times
I definitely agree with this article though it is somewhat hyped (from the perspective of a developer). There is increasing middle to upper income density and great amenities along the wilshire corridor in K-town. It's a unique area for LA to have a subway and residents along with jobs, shopping, and food. I hope someday to live without a car and this would be my first choice area for that.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM

224 posts, read 324,219 times
k-town has a long way to go before it becomes a "luxury market".

lets be honest for a moment, the area is chock-full of low-skilled immigrants in rent controlled shacks and whatnot, it's actually a fairly marginal place. sure, the location is convenient, can't really picture a ton of affluent people moving there en masse unless there are dramatic changes.

that's one of the only areas i actually miss in los angeles, nothing beats pho 2000 on western: http://www.pho2000.com/

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,015,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post

lets be honest for a moment, the area is chock-full of low-skilled immigrants in rent controlled shacks and whatnot, it's actually a fairly marginal place. sure, the location is convenient, can't really picture a ton of affluent people moving there en masse unless there are dramatic changes.

that's one of the only areas i actually miss in los angeles, nothing beats pho 2000 on western: http://www.pho2000.com/

Don't agree because DTLA was in worse shape and is gaining people faster than any part of Los Angeles. It is obvious that more and more people want to live car free or car light. Koreatown can provided that kind of lifestyle. K-town has already been gentrifying the last 5 years which is evidenced by the opening of two hotels, numerous apt. complexes along Wilshire Blvd., and higher scale restaurants.

This article in particular notes that, "We are seeing strong interest from couples attracted to the 24-hour, urban environment. Some are just starting young families. Professions include business owners, engineers, doctors and import/export-related trades."

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM

68 posts, read 169,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post

Couldn't agree more. This article was clearly written for a developer as a press release. Koreatown still leaves a lot to be desired. There's a small nice stretch along Wilshire, but the rest has A LOT of work left and I don't see the community stepping it up to clean up the hood or maintain anywhere where new development has taken place.

I don't know if it's the culture of the area, but it just screams dirt and please clean me. Graffiti is rampant and beyond what I can report to 311 everyday. A lot of people, not saying everyone, have no consideration. I see people just throw McDonalds all over the street even with a trashcan nearby. It's that "oh someone else will pick it up" mentality.

The area definitely has the potential, but there has to be a cultural paradigm shift that I don't suspect will happen anytime soon before it starts to gentrify at the levels this press release is pretending it is.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 PM

367 posts, read 678,597 times
I don't understand what people mean when they say Koreatown has 'potential'? Just because it doesn't have ****ing cupcake shops and a whole foods it's not a 'nice' neighborhood? When I see Koreatown I see a cool Korean and Hispanic neighborhood with great food and architecture, a 24 hour nightlife scene, vibrant street life, and plentiful transit options.

It sucks that when white yuppies move in to 'up and coming' neighborhoods they feel entitled to bring about 'improvement', which is just replacing businesses servicing a lower income or non-white community with sterile chains or effete twee hipster trash. These people have no respect or interest in integration...

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 AM

17,439 posts, read 28,779,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Don't agree because DTLA was in worse shape and is gaining people faster than any part of Los Angeles. It is obvious that more and more people want to live car free or car light. Koreatown can provided that kind of lifestyle. K-town has already been gentrifying the last 5 years which is evidenced by the opening of two hotels, numerous apt. complexes along Wilshire Blvd., and higher scale restaurants.

This article in particular notes that, "We are seeing strong interest from couples attracted to the 24-hour, urban environment. Some are just starting young families. Professions include business owners, engineers, doctors and import/export-related trades."
Which happened in Hollywood as well as downtown.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,202,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
I don't understand what people mean when they say Koreatown has 'potential'? Just because it doesn't have ****ing cupcake shops and a whole foods it's not a 'nice' neighborhood? When I see Koreatown I see a cool Korean and Hispanic neighborhood with great food and architecture, a 24 hour nightlife scene, vibrant street life, and plentiful transit options.

It sucks that when white yuppies move in to 'up and coming' neighborhoods they feel entitled to bring about 'improvement', which is just replacing businesses servicing a lower income or non-white community with sterile chains or effete twee hipster trash. These people have no respect or interest in integration...
I'm non white and I shop at Whole Foods and other chain stores. What makes you think non whites don't like name brand stores (including grocery stores). Crappy grocery stores in run down areas are often more expensive than the major brands, and historically have had less food choice. And non whites aren't necessarily poor, some people do have money and good careers.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,966,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post

I'll second this to some degree. Ktown has some areas that are pretty rough and could use improvements, but much of it is pretty great, if not grimy.

That being said I think it is still years away from being a 'luxury' neighborhood outside of the immediate Wilshire corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles