Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,915 times

Advertisements

Question, my apartment was purchased last year, new landlord raised rent for $500 a month to $800 a month. I was under the impression as a new owner he could raise the rent to whatever. I know I have the option to go or stay. I just discovered the property is in a "rent control area," los angeles. I was informed I could either talk to him about the overcharge or just file with the housing authority. However, it has been a year. Should I file for overpayment or what. Ambivalent about the procedure.????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:10 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,646,593 times
rent control does not apply to all properties in LA. is the building old enough to come under LARSO jurisdiction? if it was placed on the rental market after 1978, rent control doesn't apply, and the owner can raise the rent to "whatever" as long as you are given legally sufficient notice. search the forum for rent control threads and you will find many posts that detail the requirements for LARSO protection. for some reason, i'm blanking on the others right now.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:36 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,566,231 times
Actually, rent control applies only to the City of Los Angeles.

City of Los Angeles Map - Detailed View

Within the city, only multi-family dwellings built before 1978 are under rent control. It doesn't matter when the owner bought it. Condos are exempt from rent control.

If your building is actually exempt from rent control, then yes, the landlord can raise the rent - but California law states that they have to give you 60 days notice if it's going up more than 10% (which in your case would be more than $50; your rent is increasing 37.5%!). Here is a good website that talks about rent control in general, and has some good links to L.A. rent control in particular.

California Tenant Law - Non-profit legal advice for California renters' rights

Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 36,989 times
My goodness... by all means first contact your landlord about the rent increase. You should also verify that your apartment is in a rent control area and meets the qualifications to be under rent control. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I would certainly contact the Rent Statbilzation Board or Fair Housing Department of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: