Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 13,739 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, but I freelance and I know I'll make a lot. I make 4000 a month, so I know I'll be fine. But what is there to know about LA before I move there?
- Are there cockroaches everywhere? I mean, you go to a big city and you get cockroaches. LA had 3.585 million in 2012. So I figured it's gonna have a lot of cockroaches. If they get all over, what do you do to keep them away? In nyc, the people in houses swear they don't get them in there. Is this true for LA too?
- Do tarantulas get inside your house or apartment? How many times has one gotten into your house or apartment?
- Can they squeeze in small holes?
- What spiders get in the house most? Daddy Long Legs? Those don't bother me very much. Give me names and I'll Google them.
- Are there any bugs you have in LA that are especially annoying or creepy? I know that varies person to person, but I'm still asking.
-What grocery stores and restaraunts are there in LA? I know there are a lot, I'm sure. But what are your favorites? Fast Food vs Go In And Sit Down Places.
- What phone service do you use? Don't judge me for that question! I need a phone for work. I need to be able to called at every moment of the day, so this is actually very important. So don't tell me I'm pathetic for asking! If it helps, I will be getting an iPhone. I've heard you have to have 4GLTE or the service sucks. This true?
- Do you see tarantulas a lot?
- If you were scared of tarantulas, did you get used to them?
- Are there a lot of black widows? Do they get inside a lot? I never open windows or doors. I only use air conditioning or central air.
- Do you get palmettos everywhere? I don't even know what they are, but they're all over miami! Why I didn't move there!
-Where do you see tarantulas most?

I know I've asked a lot of questions! I know they probably don't seem like they'd matter, but I've grown up in Illinois, so we don't really see cockroaches. Never see tarantulas here except in the petstore. I can't go in there anymore! And we see some garden spiders that look creepy. Needless to say, by the time night is here, I'm inside to avoid these outside!
I also know I probably sound stupid and paranoid, but I know nothing about the real world! After all, I'm 17.
I know it's long. So sorry! I just. I'm picky and worry about everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
What happened to these requirements?

"I'm looking for a smallish town with a city park (basket ball hoop, swings, slides), low crime, and a convenience store/gas station (I prefer Casey's)... Oh! For population, I'm looking for a place that has 100-4000 maybe a little bigger."

Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,446 times
oi.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 13,739 times
Default what happened? I'm not planning life for a family now. that was for a family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What happened to these requirements?

"I'm looking for a smallish town with a city park (basket ball hoop, swings, slides), low crime, and a convenience store/gas station (I prefer Casey's)... Oh! For population, I'm looking for a place that has 100-4000 maybe a little bigger."
Now I'm planning life for me. And nobody else!
Now that I'm planning life for ME, I'm not worrying about town size.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
If this is even a real post(which I doubt), how do you plan on renting at age 17.

And freelance doing what exactly?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM

546 posts, read 817,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If this is even a real post(which I doubt), how do you plan on renting at age 17.

No it's not real. But at $4,000 a month for a 17 year old. I would say the oldest profession....is the sort of freelancing the OP is engaged in.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM

596 posts, read 982,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisynrayne96 View Post
I'm 17, but I freelance and I know I'll make a lot. I make 4000 a month, so I know I'll be fine. But what is there to know about LA before I move there?
- Are there cockroaches everywhere? I mean, you go to a big city and you get cockroaches. LA had 3.585 million in 2012. So I figured it's gonna have a lot of cockroaches. If they get all over, what do you do to keep them away? In nyc, the people in houses swear they don't get them in there. Is this true for LA too?
- Do tarantulas get inside your house or apartment? How many times has one gotten into your house or apartment?
- Can they squeeze in small holes?
- What spiders get in the house most? Daddy Long Legs? Those don't bother me very much. Give me names and I'll Google them.
- Are there any bugs you have in LA that are especially annoying or creepy? I know that varies person to person, but I'm still asking.
-What grocery stores and restaraunts are there in LA? I know there are a lot, I'm sure. But what are your favorites? Fast Food vs Go In And Sit Down Places.
- What phone service do you use? Don't judge me for that question! I need a phone for work. I need to be able to called at every moment of the day, so this is actually very important. So don't tell me I'm pathetic for asking! If it helps, I will be getting an iPhone. I've heard you have to have 4GLTE or the service sucks. This true?
- Do you see tarantulas a lot?
- If you were scared of tarantulas, did you get used to them?
- Are there a lot of black widows? Do they get inside a lot? I never open windows or doors. I only use air conditioning or central air.
- Do you get palmettos everywhere? I don't even know what they are, but they're all over miami! Why I didn't move there!
-Where do you see tarantulas most?

I know I've asked a lot of questions! I know they probably don't seem like they'd matter, but I've grown up in Illinois, so we don't really see cockroaches. Never see tarantulas here except in the petstore. I can't go in there anymore! And we see some garden spiders that look creepy. Needless to say, by the time night is here, I'm inside to avoid these outside!
I also know I probably sound stupid and paranoid, but I know nothing about the real world! After all, I'm 17.
I know it's long. So sorry! I just. I'm picky and worry about everything!

The tarantulas that are native to the Los Angeles area are usually harmless, and they live mostly in the hills. However tarantulas from other areas (the locals call them "transplants") can be more dangerous. They can be mean, lazy, and even attack in groups (known as gangs). They have been known to steal mice, lizards, and crickets from the native tarantulas. These "transplants" are more common in places like shopping malls, because they hitch rides in cargo containers of designer label goods made in sweat shops in third world countries. They tend to hide out in dark places (like changing rooms), but they usually won't attack humans unless they are surprised. Fortunately, their bites aren't always fatal. In fact, it has been a week or so since I heard of anyone in the Los Angeles area dying from one of their bites.

On a different note, apparently they are pretty delicious:

Eating a Live Tarantula - YouTube

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Why don't you invest some money into psych treatment for Entomophobia (also known as insectophobia) first?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

But he didn't say he made 600k/year as a sturgeon.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisynrayne96 View Post

Really? You know you'll make a lot? Since you asked what you'll need to know I'll tell you.
When I was in PA I was subcontracting making decent money. I moved here to be with my wife. The things I did in PA and got paid well for, I cannot get hired here for. Why? There are illegals willing to do it for a lot less. So kid, before you move here to L.A. Make sure you're a professional something. Otherwise you'll be undercut by illegals. You'll need to learn some spanish too.
Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because you made good money doing whatever it is you do there, that you'll make good money here in L.A. It is a whole different planet than anywhere else. Chances are someone here is already established and doing it here too.

Good luck kid.
I'd be interested to see how the OP is doing after a year here in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles