Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 6,263 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, i am from germany and am thinking about moving to LA in few years.
I don't know how the education-system in USA/LA works.
If you have no Bachelor/Master degree in germany, you never will get an acceptable salary. Is it the same in LA ?

I've heard from few (older) people that Los Angeles is THE CITY of the entertainment industry. Is it still that way?
I like acting and even more producing/directing (short) films. Since LA should have the biggest amount of actors and people from entertainment sector, i would be in the right place.

Now the connection between entertainment industry and education.
If have only 10years of school or Abitur (GED), do i have the same possibilities and chances to achieve something in the entertainment industry as a guy with Bachelor/Master degree?

I mean, 3-5 Years of studying is such a long and boring time. These questions don't give a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM

^

Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,054,172 times
If you check the bios of many successful people in the industry, many are high school or college dropouts. But in school, connections can be made than can maybe help you later. Either path is acceptable.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM

so if i drop out .. i'll get successful? - nah just kidding.

Yeah, but they dropped out because they've broke into entertainment industry (got a role,deal, and got successful with it) => so they don't need a degree to make money.

But few hundred thousands of actors/directors beginner in LA are not successful (yet) - so they will need a degree till they'll be successful.

So, is there a big difference in the salary between a (GED) High School degree and Bachelor/Master degree?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,207,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abulezyuk View Post
So, is there a big difference in the salary between a (GED) High School degree and Bachelor/Master degree?
with the exception of a few niche roles, yes, the differences can be striking. if you only have a GED, I'd recommend that you learn to code software. if you are a solid programmer, your diplomas/degrees are mostly irrelevant and you can easily make $100k/year if you are good and find a company that values your skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles