Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM

603 posts, read 847,813 times

Advertisements

I'm confused on what to get.

Where I'm originally from, you can buy a bus pass that you pay for monthly. You just show it to the driver and they let you on.

Is there anything like that in LA? Is that what the EZ transit pass is? I may have a job where I have to take 3 buses in order to get there and don't want to carry a whole bunch of change on me every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
That's what the TAP card is. The LA Metro system does not have paper passes, you will have to get the TAP card. It is plastic like a credit card. Go to any of the Metro vending machines and you can choose from weekly, monthly, etc.

The EZ transit pass is largely the same, except it is a monthly pass for most of the other transit agencies. I don't think you can get that at the machine, though.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,319,336 times
Are you taking LA metro or something like big blue or culver city? Unfortunately LA metro doesn't allow free or even reduced transfers within itself. That's where the unlimited TAP card (currently $75 a month) comes in handy. You just tap it when you walk in and that's it. Then transfers to big blue or culver city will only be 35 cents.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:19 PM

Sorry, I thought they were all the same.

I know the first bus I'd have to take is the Santa Monica 1. The next is the Commuter Express then the Metro Local Line.

So if I got a TAP card, can I get on those last 2 buses?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 PM

195 posts, read 348,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Sorry, I thought they were all the same.

I know the first bus I'd have to take is the Santa Monica 1. The next is the Commuter Express then the Metro Local Line.

So if I got a TAP card, can I get on those last 2 buses?
I think the EZ pass lets you go on most or maybe all buses in all cities and areas of the county

Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM

It says the EZ travel pass is $84. I guess that's the one I should get if I land the job in Reseda, right?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,393,367 times
Find out if that Commuter Express bus requires a zone pass. You can see the price and route on the LADOT Commuter Express webpage. Commuter Express buses are limited because they only go during rush hour in the direction of the commute. Meaning bringing Valley people to the Westside in the morning and reverse in afternoon. Not really good for those starting in the westside to and working in the valley.

The alternative is the 761 Metro Rapid bus that takes you from Wilshire/Westwood to Ventura Blvd.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM

195 posts, read 348,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
It says the EZ travel pass is $84. I guess that's the one I should get if I land the job in Reseda, right?
Yes if you're taking different buses in different cities.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Find out if that Commuter Express bus requires a zone pass. You can see the price and route on the LADOT Commuter Express webpage. Commuter Express buses are limited because they only go during rush hour in the direction of the commute. Meaning bringing Valley people to the Westside in the morning and reverse in afternoon. Not really good for those starting in the westside to and working in the valley.

The alternative is the 761 Metro Rapid bus that takes you from Wilshire/Westwood to Ventura Blvd.
I just go by what LA Metro tells me online. I just put it an early start time and it showed the Commuter Express line, but said there were no routes.

So basically the best one for me is the Santa Monica 1, then 761 Metro Rapid, then the 240 Metro Line. Not gonna be fun. But would the ez transit pass let me get on all 3 of those buses?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,319,336 times
From what I can tell, correct me anybody if I'm wrong, the TAP card unlimited does not pay for Commuter Express. It may lower the price, but it's not the same.

The 3 buses you have to take to this job surely aren't worth it unless the job pays a ton. You're gonna be riding public transit all day and night. Is there not something closer?

The Big Blue is $1, plus 50 cents for a transfer to the Metro, but the third Metro will be full pric again, unless you have the TAP card unlimited, in which case the big blue will just be an extra $1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles