Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Considering Proposal To Ban Feeding Homeless People In Public | ThinkProgress

What are the thoughts of people here on regulations feeding homeless?

I can see both sides of the debate. Some people are just jerks and look down on those less fortunate. On the other hand, too many services concentrated for homeless is going to attract people from all over there to take advantage of the services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,993,670 times
The lack of bitter Winter weather attracts them as much as the possibility of people with disposable $$$.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,200,300 times
I foresee more services like this.

A home for the holiday - latimes.com

Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,229,998 times
I don't think these people will be signing up for Obama care in the future either..too bad more emphasis isn't placed on helping
the homeless HUMAN BEINGS never mind feeding them...Stray or unwanted animals have better options than this
population of people..it's saddening.
I'm sure LA owns some unused real-estate that could be used as a shelter - food bank..nah, that's to easy. Besides shelters
don't get any return $$..
I understand what the homeowner is saying, but there has to be a better solution than just banning feeding the homeless
in public. Are we at that point now, starving the less fortunate. And this country is rich enough to do more for these people.
I'm grateful to have a home to come back to everyday..as i see the homeless all the time and by my job have to ask them
to leave some malls we have..Most of the ones i deal with have other issues, and that's a whole nother story..

Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 PM

156 posts, read 270,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I don't think these people will be signing up for Obama care in the future either..too bad more emphasis isn't placed on helping
the homeless HUMAN BEINGS never mind feeding them...Stray or unwanted animals have better options than this
population of people..it's saddening.
I'm sure LA owns some unused real-estate that could be used as a shelter - food bank..nah, that's to easy. Besides shelters
don't get any return $$..
I understand what the homeowner is saying, but there has to be a better solution than just banning feeding the homeless
in public. Are we at that point now, starving the less fortunate. And this country is rich enough to do more for these people.
I'm grateful to have a home to come back to everyday..as i see the homeless all the time and by my job have to ask them
to leave some malls we have..Most of the ones i deal with have other issues, and that's a whole nother story..
I believe half of those people are homeless by choice. They could leave CA and go to somewhere where there's plenty of work, like North Dakota, but they don't. They'd rather lie in the sun and do nothing. Those people are worsen the situation for actual homeless who have been screwed over by life and the government.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post
I believe half of those people are homeless by choice. They could leave CA and go to somewhere where there's plenty of work, like North Dakota, but they don't. They'd rather lie in the sun and do nothing. Those people are worsen the situation for actual homeless who have been screwed over by life and the government.
Well said. Some are unfortunate and could really use a hand, some have been decimated by various addictions, and some are just lazy and worthless excuses for humans.

This is one of those topics that people usually try to force you into deciding between two false choices. They want you to believe all homeless are useless people who choose to be that way or that they are all just good people down on their luck and in need of a chance. Truth is a mixture of both. I don't know if it's half as you say, but I doubt it's a small percentage. The ole adage applies...you get less of what you tax and more of what you subsidize.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times
Most of the issues are mental health or drug abuse , more than economical.

For the homeless or 'homeless' that are able bodied it's hard to feel too bad for them.

There is a young blonde girl in Brentwood by the freeway I saw last night , I wouldn't be surprised if she makes more than most people per day. Especially after taxes,etc are taken out.

Everytime I pass one I pretty much almost always see someone giving money to them,and that's only a few minutes out of the day.

I don't see how we can afford to support more homeless when the city has cut back on basic services for taxpayers.

Anytime you call the city for something it's "we are short staffed, don't have the money,etc"

Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,641,655 times
There's an incorrect assumption in this thread that there is a shortage of shelter(temporary and long term). At least as far as LA County goes, there's enough shelter. However you can't force people to seek out shelter nor programs that will help rehabilitate them.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM

40,964 posts, read 49,278,180 times
Isn't Hawaii flying their large homeless population back to the states ? CA would be the 1st stop

Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM

195 posts, read 348,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Los Angeles Considering Proposal To Ban Feeding Homeless People In Public | ThinkProgress

What are the thoughts of people here on regulations feeding homeless?

I can see both sides of the debate. Some people are just jerks and look down on those less fortunate. On the other hand, too many services concentrated for homeless is going to attract people from all over there to take advantage of the services.
Happens all over skid row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles