Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,656 times

Advertisements

Has anyone (or does anyone) make this commute? I just took a job in Newport Beach and I live in Silver Lake, so right now I commute 100 miles a day, usually an hour each way. My girlfriend works in DTLA so it's hard to pack up and just move around. Here are some options I'm laying out, and I'm hoping you can enlighten me on more ideas:

1) Move: We could always move to LBC, a good distance halfway point from DTLA and Newport. But as I was doing a bit of research, it really looks like going from LBC to DTLA would be an unimaginable commute for my girlfriend and I'd feel horrible getting her to move just to add 45 min to her commute and make mine 15-25 min less than it is now. Anyone prove that LBC to DTLA is not horrible?

2) Public transportation: The trains that go from Union to OC are just stupid and don't make any sense. I've found more value looking for a carpool to be honest. Metrolink trains drop in Tustin, and you can take a bus/bike to Newport after that. But trying to get home on the same route? Nope, you have to go on Amtrak at the Irvine station. Proving once again that trains are hard to use But if we were in LBC, is Blue Line worth it?

3) Find a carpool: Easier said than done, but there must be a "good" resource for finding this kind of information. Carpool websites seem to be a deadend, but then again I do have a weird route.

4) Get another job: again, easier said than done, but what if the job took you the same hour+ to get to, just a way shorter distance?

5) Stop complaining and do it: In other words, is an hour+ commute child play in the sense of what other commuters are experiencing? Maybe I should just embrace my new life on the road?

Thanks for reading. I'd love more input on this and any ideas you might have! Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,854,171 times
The Blue Line from end-to-end takes about a hour. Not the funnest ride in Metro's system.

The 110fwy has Fastrak ExpressLanes, so your GF could solo the carpool lane for a few bucks a day, but I don't know how well it actually works in practice.

I use the 10fwy's ExpressLanes quite often, and it works REALLY well on THAT freeway.

https://www.metroexpresslanes.net/en/about/map.shtml

The system is sort-of experimental at the moment... Metro could take it all down (or not) next year, FYI.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
One of you is going to have a miserable commute no matter what. I don't see a good middle area in this scenario. Stick with it and maybe one of you try to find a new job long term.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,513 times
Why not move to Orange County. She can commute via Metrolink/Amtrak because they have frequent into DTLA like the ten thousand other people who do the same. Assuming she has typical 9-5 job. You can just drive to Newport. You just have to live near one of the stations and great if both train services stop there because a monthly pass allows you to ride both, and Metro and Orange county rail and/or buses free.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,785 times
Hey,

Did you ever figure this out. I am working in Irvine and moving to DTLA or Silver Lake. I think I will just leave my car at the Irvine station and commute on the Amtrak. Anyone done something like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles