Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM

118 posts, read 219,162 times

Advertisements

I should also add that by assuming I was implying the immigrant population when I suggested there were unsafe areas is to make a racist assumption on your part. My lovely next door neighbors are Mexican and Puerto Rican; the house that gets SWAT called in is a white skinhead, and it's the nice black family across the street that started up the Neighborhood Watch - while it's another black family up the street that has the drug den. It's not about race at all. For the record, my husband and I were on the poverty line until 2012, so it's also not about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM

26,973 posts, read 27,269,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
I should also add that by assuming I was implying the immigrant population when I suggested there were unsafe areas is to make a racist assumption on your part.
Never better said.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM

118 posts, read 219,162 times
In the interest of service to the OP, my babysitter just found a studio near PCC for $750. I think the cheaper places are near there rather than near Old Town or the Rose Bowl. So, yes there are some cheaper places out there, too! And OP: $65K is great for a single person. We live on less than that with a family of 4, but we don't live well.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 19,100 times
Quote:
I'm not talking poor people, and I'm not a nervous nellie, though you can choose to believe I am if it makes you happy. I love living in Pasadena and I like the diversity, both ethnic/racial and socio-economic. But to pretend every street is Mayberry is doing a disservice to the OP. It's a lovely community. There are also crimes, mainly drug-related, but the motivation seems unimportant when there is a SWAT team down the block. I was simply expressing my experiences to the OP because so many of the people posting here seemed to have lived here previously, or know someone that lives here, or did a search on craigslist rather than actually live here themselves. And yes, there are places available for cheaper than ours - we have a yard, for instance, which ups the rental cost. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone is lying or exaggerating to the OP, I just wanted to weigh in with one actual experience instead of a bunch of supposition. It's one experience. It's not hard data. Take it or leave it.
Question - What is an "OP"?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have never been out the the west coast before. So I am kind of excited about the possibility of relocating to the other side of the country.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Michelle

Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,517,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2233 View Post
Question - What is an "OP"?
Original poster. You.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Original poster. You.
Ok. Thank you!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
In the interest of service to the OP, my babysitter just found a studio near PCC for $750. I think the cheaper places are near there rather than near Old Town or the Rose Bowl. So, yes there are some cheaper places out there, too! And OP: $65K is great for a single person. We live on less than that with a family of 4, but we don't live well.
Thanks for the info.! That gives me hope that if I do get the job that I can make it. The only reference that I had is what I would hear on the news about the high cost of living there. So you and the other posters have really given me some good feedback.

Michelle

Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,033,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2233 View Post
Thanks for the info.! That gives me hope that if I do get the job that I can make it.
My suggestion would be to browse Craigslist to get an idea of what your budget will get you in the Pasadena area. Just because apartments exist for $750/mo. does not mean you will want to live in them. Anything under $1000/mo. will be some combination of tiny/crappy and/or in a bad neighborhood. On $65k a year you should aim to stay under ~$1500/mo. for rent.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM

274 posts, read 1,225,845 times
My friend rents out a beautiful 900 square foot apartment for just under 1700 a month, walking distance to all the nice shops.....so you can probably find less than this, less well located. I reckon as a single you can manage fine on that....maybe no bi annual trip to Hawaii.
I like Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles