Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 AM

46 posts, read 61,093 times

Advertisements

Many of the world's great cities are located next to large bodies of waters, like Los Angeles. However, most of them are severely obstructed by harbors, great rivers and bays. Los Angeles is not, perhaps giving it an advantage in this post-modern world of ours. Great harbors did wonders for cities in the industrial revolution, but nowadays they make for some expensive bridges and tunnels. They force to fragment cities. They force to densify cities. To me, those harbours and great rivers can have some burdens on those cities. Greater Los Angeles has plenty of room, which makes me believe that it is the largest (by land area) metropolitan area in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Well, in the Greater Los Angeles area San Pedro and Long Beach are both affected by their harbors. It's just that Los Angeles proper is an inland city and is largely unaffected by any water features

Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM

422 posts, read 1,819,373 times
Let me look that up for you. Cities ranked by size.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Well, in the Greater Los Angeles area San Pedro and Long Beach are both affected by their harbors. It's just that Los Angeles proper is an inland city and is largely unaffected by any water features
Actually San Pedro is part of Los Angeles proper. LA annexed San Pedro through a narrow corridor of annexed land very early on.

People confused DTLA/central LA with LA proper. LA proper has a very odd geography, different from other American cities, that a many are not aware of. (Pacific Palisades is part of LA proper, but Santa Monica is not, Westwood is, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are not, East LA is not, but the entire SF Valley through West Hills and Chatsworth are, and the aforementioned San Pedro/Wilmington are).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L...ighlighted.svg

Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM

56 posts, read 138,616 times
Tokyo

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmps View Post
Tokyo
...was just about to say that.

And in the US I can't help but think Houston dwarfs LA in sq miles.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,512 times
GLA, in my opinion is the largest metro area in N America from my experiences, over 140 miles from redlands/yucaipa to ventura, and also 100 miles from san clemente to santa clarita, all connected by developed land. Also 120 miles from temecula to santa clarita.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
GLA, in my opinion is the largest metro area in N America from my experiences, over 140 miles from redlands/yucaipa to ventura, and also 100 miles from san clemente to santa clarita, all connected by developed land. Also 120 miles from temecula to santa clarita.
I guess it all depends on how you define all developed.

Santa Clarita is surrounded by wild canyon parkland. And Temecula still does have agriculture around, avocado groves and vineyards, although there is definitely a lot of development too.

West of LA, Ventura County has been quite determined to keep as much open space as possible unlike OC and the IE. Thousand Oaks basically has a greenbelt of grassland, oak savanna, chaparral/scrub all around it, and the SM mountains to the south. In the Oxnard plain, there has also been effort to control development there too, and there are still lots of strawberry and other crop fields.

LA to San Clemente, and LA to Redlands however I can agree with. Just sticking to the 405, I think there's really only the Seal Beach naval station and the Laguna coast wilderness/Irvine ranch open space, and those areas are small.

Out to Redlands, theres some open space in the Chino Hills off the 60, and some dairy farms near Chino, but yeah, its basically all built up to Redlands on the 10 or 60.

But yes, if you consider that protected areas don't count as country, I could agree with your assessment.

Personally I think both Greater LA and the Bay Area are very unique in having millions of people, yet still so much access to nature. Thank the topography for that.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 05-27-2013 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles