Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times

Advertisements

This link will explain what is going on regarding the new Wiseburn High School to be built over on Douglas Street off El Segundo Blvd. https://www.sites.google.com/site/unifywiseburn/

Wiseburn School District is one of the best school districts. Within the City of Hawthorne, CA there are areas that are not part of Hawthorne. These areas are part of the Los Angeles County unincorporated area.

If you visit the website of Wiseburn Watch it will show you a map of the borders. I'm actually on a mission to educate people about Wiseburn because many never knew it existed. It was a huge learning experience for myself when we moved here in 2010 and joined our neighborhood watch group. My husband was already pretty educated about the area since he grew up here.

Hawthorne, CA is a very large city - Often when outsiders hear anything about Hawthorne they quickly jump on the bandwagon and say derogatory things about the area. What they fail to mention is there are pockets of NICE areas especially west of Inglewood Avenue - south of El Segundo Blvd - east of Aviation and north of Rosecrans. (I sure hope I said that correctly). We have HollyGlen, Del Aire and Wiseburn which are good areas.

I encourage people who visit city-data forums who might live in these areas to join their respected "Neighborhood Watch Groups" Wiseburn Watch has two wonderful "watch captains" and you would be surprised at what they do for our community and to keep all of us safe. NEVER underestimate watch groups! We look out for our neighbors and we keep our communities safe. Neighbors in Wiseburn have stopped break ins from happening just by picking up the phone and calling the Sheriffs. If you see something out of the ordinary - you call LE. Get to know your neighbors. You don't have to go, and have tea with them every day - just get to know them by sight and from saying "Hello" at least.

These watch groups often have an email distribution list you can get on. If someone is missing a dog/cat or whatever - send a picture to the neighborhood watch captains and TRUST me - your animal will be found pretty quickly. My neighbors puppy got out and one day I opened my email from one of the captains and it was a picture of this cute little dog that one of the neighbors found. Well, it turned out to be MY neighbors dog. I was able to tell them their dog had been located. They were not on the distribution list so had no way of knowing. There is NOTHING to fear when you get on a list. It's a GOOD thing and will only help and alert you to certain happenings that are going on in the neighborhood.

I ENCOURAGE all people to join their neighborhood watch and if you do not have one - start one! Call your local LE and they will help you. You need to care about where you live. If you have children, you want them to attend the best schools so get involved. The gals who started the petition for the Wiseburn High School cared enough and look - it will hopefully be a reality now. They got the ball rolling - We do have voices and we need to use them.

I grew up in Torrance, CA and attended some of the best schools in that district years ago. I was able to walk to school without fear of being kidnapped etc. We played until late at night... Before I die, I would LOVE to see that happen again where kids are safe - where they can attend good schools and get a good education. I would love to see people care about their homes. Keep your yards up...keep the junk out. It only makes your house go up in value when you keep your homes in decent shape. People need to start caring! ALL PEOPLE - ALL NEIGHBORHOODS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Within the City of Hawthorne, CA there are areas that are not part of Hawthorne. These areas are part of the Los Angeles County unincorporated area.
This doesn't make sense. They can't be both part of unincoprated LA and part of the City of Hawthorne.

But I know what you are writing about. I am familiar with that area having worked in El Segundo and ridden my bike to swim at lunch at Hawthorne Pool. I know that area.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Charles, it is simple - Although I have a zip code for Hawthorne - I cannot vote in Hawthorne's elections. I live in a strip called the Los Angeles Unincorporated area which is STILL in Hawthorne. We are off on our own so to speak. It's like living on a small island surrounded by a big island ?

You need to Google - the links I provided. Visit Wiseburn Neighborhood Watch Wiseburn Watch | www.wiseburnwatch.com

If we have concerns this is the man we have to go to who actually helps us...Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas

Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Ok, technically I have a Hawthorne zip code I have to use....BUT I live in Wiseburn. It's quite simple. Look at the borders. We do not call Hawthorne Police - we call the sheriffs if we have an emergency.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Wiseburn Hidden Gem...

Welcome to Localism

I should add, I am not Tiffany. Tiffany is a local here in Wiseburn. She is also a realtor. In fact, we have many realtors living in Wiseburn now.

Last edited by CaliforniaGal; 04-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Needed to add to my post. Thank You!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Wiseburn High School is going to become a reality and that is good news.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
I'm glad Wiseburn is getting a high school. I was considering sending my son to Wiseburn SD since I work in the area, but I left him in his current SD which is also very good.

I'm Hawthorne adjacent, but what you say rings true for all areas.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

UPDATE: PRE-DEMOLITION/CONSTRUCTION OPEN HOUSE on Saturday, December 7, 2013 - 11am -2pm 210 N. Douglas Street, El Segundo This will be the site of the Wiseburn High School.

Continuous Guided Tours of all four floors
Refreshments
Opportunity to meet with Board Members, Administration, and staff
Opportunity to ask questions.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Default Del Aire is part of unincorporated LA County and Hawthorne

small, tiny, mighty <3 my hometown!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This doesn't make sense. They can't be both part of unincoprated LA and part of the City of Hawthorne.

But I know what you are writing about. I am familiar with that area having worked in El Segundo and ridden my bike to swim at lunch at Hawthorne Pool. I know that area.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:49 PM

46 posts, read 65,130 times
I recently moved to Hawthorne, can I give my neighborhood a cool name and pretend it's "better" than the rest of the city too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles