Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 24,836 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be relocating from the Northeast to Downey, CA. We have three kids ages 11, 5 and 1. My husband will be working in the Hollywood area and ee are thinking that he'll do most of the commuting. We are looking for a neighborhood with a decent commute (30-45min for him would be acceptable), safe and with good public schools. We are open to a neighborhood that is a little of a commute for both of us. We would be looking to rent and can spen around $3000 on rent monthly. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmojames View Post
a little of a commute for both of us.
Where will you be working?

If he is the only one working and it is in Hollywood, consider Burbank or Sherman Oaks.

If he can flex his hours to like 6-3 then consider West Hills, Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, or Oak Park.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Ill be working in Downey, he'll be working in Hollywood. I'm the one with more difficult hours so it'd be easier for him to commute but I'm willing to do the commuting if it means a better neighborhood for my kids.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Ill be working in Downey, he'll be working in Hollywood. I'm the one with more difficult hours so it'd be easier for him to commute but I'm willing to do the commuting if it means a better neighborhood for my kids.

What type of hours to you two think you will be working? This is key. The more flexibility, like 6-3 or something opens things up for commuting. If both of you work 8-5 then this is a major challenge.

South Pasadena might have the higher performing schools but neither of you will have an easy commute.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM

I'll be working 7:30-5:30 and my husband will be working 8-2.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Take a look at Cerritos also.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'll be working 7:30-5:30 and my husband will be working 8-2.
There is no solution with reasonable traffic and decent government schools.

Consider private school, or perhaps your husband leaving at 6AM, getting to Hollywood around 630-645 and hitting a gym/Starbucks, then going to work 8-2. Leaving at 2 won't be bad (except for the 5), but arriving by 8 will be tough commuting from 630-8.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Private school is likely not an option financially. I was also looking at cerritos, lakewood, long beach, and whittier areas. Schools are very impotant as we plan on making this a permanent move and we don't want to move to a completely different town in a few years chasing better school systems. We drove from downey yesterday to studio city around 4pm and it took 50min which wasn't bad so if that's a fairly typical commute that would work for us. Im trying to find out about the public school systems and what schools are known for quality education. If it'd be better, we could live closer to Hollywood and I'd commute. Not ideal but we'd try to make it work.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Private school is likely not an option financially. I was also looking at cerritos, lakewood, long beach, and whittier areas. Schools are very impotant as we plan on making this a permanent move and we don't want to move to a completely different town in a few years chasing better school systems. We drove from downey yesterday to studio city around 4pm and it took 50min which wasn't bad so if that's a fairly typical commute that would work for us. Im trying to find out about the public school systems and what schools are known for quality education. If it'd be better, we could live closer to Hollywood and I'd commute. Not ideal but we'd try to make it work.

Work this and you'll see what I have been writing about:

California School Performance Maps

Also check out Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map real time during expected commute times to see where the bad spots are.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
I agree with Charles, within a 30-45 minute commute for either of you there aren't any great options.

Cerritos and South Pasadena are good suggestions, but as mentioned the commutes could be tough for either your husband (cerritos) or both (south pas).

Fullerton could also possibly work. It's a tougher commute for your husband, but it's a safe area with good schools. The train could be an option into Hollywood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles