Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,159 times

Advertisements

Why is it SO hard to get assistance from the city. More than aware we are the 10th most overpopulated city in the world, yet we allow building 200 unit apartments in single family dwelling neighborhoods. We demolish historical houses and structures, to build condo's. There seems to be nothing that protects property owners from tenants who destroy units, then call the LAHD to report the issues they've created, thus holding the landlord responsible. My neighbor can throw his wife across the room and police say there's nothing they can do, yet my other neighbor will get fined for his dog barking.
The city wont issue a Certificate Of Occupancy for a small pool house that is 4 inches to close to the building next door, but says nothing when several units have smoke alarms dangling from the ceiling. Is something not wrong here? Where do you go to get help? Where do you go when all you want to do is the right thing, and comply, but cant get any help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
If I dig through all of the noise, the issue is that you want a Certificate of Occupancy for a structure that is "4 inches to(o) close to the building next door. Is that correct? Well, it's too close to the building next door. So, it sounds like that particular department of the City is doing their job, despite the other city departments. Assuming you want to comply and do the right thing, build 4 more inches off the property line.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Instaed of going from one city department to another, contact your city coucil representative directly.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Get Garcia. That's channel 4's ombudsman reporter. It seems the only way to get action is to publicize the problem on the local news. That almost always works. That is just the way it is, and pretty much always has been. You have lived on this earth a while, or are you very young because this is the way of the world, and I can't imagine someone who has lived long enough to expect things to be any other way.

I knew a few building managers/owners, and there are ways of getting rid of people from the apartments. The owners just have to be smarter and know the law better. Usually, tenants "sqaut" because of the incompetency of the owners. The corporations that own some apartment buildings have more than one counter-measure to all the tenant tricks. If you're a smart owner, this is no squatting in your building.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,159 times
Unfortunately, being smart and obeying the law don't always go together. Its not as easy as changing the locks anymore or calling the local sherriff. Every CA Civil Code I've read states there's nothing you can do, except for filing an unlawful detainer. If I am missing something, or you have other ideas, I'm wide open.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
I don't understand what OP is asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles