Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

Me and my partner are considering buying our first home in Silverlake. We're both from Chicago and excited to finally escape the cold. We've visited LA several times and looked around several areas. We both like the eclectic/artsy area of Silverlake. I know the prices in the area have jumped from gentrification. We really love the hills of it. My questions is, are there any neighborhoods that are up and coming that won't break the bank? We don't mind a little rough and fixer uppers. Silverlake is absolutely a great possibility but can anyone recommend any other area that might offer the same creative-like community. I guess what I'm asking, where are the poor artist moving these days? The ones who can't afford Silverlake...

I work from home and will be transferring my job so commute to work/jobs available in the area, aren't a factor in our scenario.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
What's your budget? Echo Park was the first thing that came to mind, but Eagle Rock and Los Feliz could work for you too.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherrick View Post
Me and my partner are considering buying our first home in Silverlake. We're both from Chicago and excited to finally escape the cold. We've visited LA several times and looked around several areas. We both like the eclectic/artsy area of Silverlake. I know the prices in the area have jumped from gentrification. We really love the hills of it. My questions is, are there any neighborhoods that are up and coming that won't break the bank? We don't mind a little rough and fixer uppers. Silverlake is absolutely a great possibility but can anyone recommend any other area that might offer the same creative-like community. I guess what I'm asking, where are the poor artist moving these days? The ones who can't afford Silverlake...

I work from home and will be transferring my job so commute to work/jobs available in the area, aren't a factor in our scenario.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Your best bet is to rent a room in a furnished house in Silver Lake, Echo Park, or Korearown(which is close). Those areas of LA ain't cheap. Look on craigslist for furnished housing.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
highland park, a hilly older neighborhood located between downtown and pasadena in northeast los angeles, is a gentrifying community that has seen an increase in starving artist types and hipsters in recent years. it's still a bit rough around the edges to some degree, but is much safer than it was even 10 years ago and is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a cheaper, grittier alternative to silver lake/echo park.

HLP has a lot of old-school character, is walkable and fairly dense, and has a solid housing stock of early 20th century craftsman bungalows. there are definitely some fixer-uppers to be had for a relative bargain compared with silver lake, although prices have noticeably increased over the past 5+ years.

one of the biggest assets of HLP is the gold line light rail station, which provides quick and easy transportation to downtown and pasadena. also, the neighborhood is filled with mom-and-pop businesses, including a number of great taquerias and late night taco trucks that reflect its longstanding status as a working-class mexican enclave. there are even a few small businesses that date from the early-to-mid 20th century, when HLP was a primarily white community with many midwestern transplants. at the same time, trendy/hip businesses, eateries, bars, galleries, and artistic/music venues catering to the newer residents have been steadily opening up along the main commercial drag, which means the neighborhood is past the initial "urban pioneer" phase and headed toward full-blown gentrification.

to me, that's a mixed blessing, because i really like the unpretentious, unpolished, ethnic feel of HLP. right now, the neighborhood has a really interesting blend of the old and the new, the blue-collar and the hip, longtime chicano locals and mostly white (with some asian) newcomers, street murals and art galleries, taco trucks and gastropubs. but i fear HLP is on the verge of completely transforming into a more exclusive area that's too expensive for the longtime locals, which would dilute much of its unique flavor. hopefully it can retain some semblance of socioeconomic balance while continuing its downward trend in crime/gang issues.

some more reading:
Highland Park Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Highland Park, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Highland Park Real Estate & Highland Park Los Angeles Homes for Sale | Redfin
Why Highland Park Is the New Echo Park - Los Angeles - Music - West Coast Sound
Galco's Soda Pop Stop - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Tacos El Pelon - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Viva Taco Azteca - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
La Cuevita - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Mount Analog - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA

Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
highland park, a hilly older neighborhood located between downtown and pasadena in northeast los angeles, is a gentrifying community that has seen an increase in starving artist types and hipsters in recent years. it's still a bit rough around the edges to some degree, but is much safer than it was even 10-15 years ago and is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a cheaper, grittier alternative to silver lake/echo park.

HLP has a lot of old-school character, is walkable and fairly dense, and has a solid housing stock of early 20th century craftsman bungalows. there are definitely some fixer-uppers to be had for a relative bargain compared with silver lake, although prices have noticeably increased over the past 5+ years.

one of the biggest assets of HLP is the gold line light rail station, which provides quick and easy transportation to downtown and pasadena. also, the neighborhood is filled with mom-and-pop businesses, including a number of great taquerias and late night taco trucks that reflect its longstanding status as a working-class mexican enclave. there are even a few small businesses that date from the early-to-mid 20th century, when HLP was a primarily white community with many midwestern transplants. at the same time, trendy/hip businesses, eateries, bars, galleries, and artistic/music venues catering to the newer residents have been steadily opening up along the main commercial drag, which means the neighborhood is past the initial "urban pioneer" phase and headed toward full-blown gentrification.

to me, that's a mixed blessing, because i really like the unpretentious, unpolished, ethnic feel of HLP. right now, the neighborhood has a really interesting blend of the old and the new, the blue-collar and the hip, longtime chicano locals and mostly white (with some asian) newcomers, street murals and art galleries, taco trucks and gastropubs. but i fear HLP is on the verge of completely transforming into a more exclusive area that's too expensive for the longtime locals, which would dilute much of its unique flavor. hopefully it can retain some semblance of socioeconomic balance while continuing its downward trend in crime/gang issues.

some more reading:
Highland Park Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Highland Park, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Highland Park Real Estate & Highland Park Los Angeles Homes for Sale | Redfin
Why Highland Park Is the New Echo Park - Los Angeles - Music - West Coast Sound
Galco's Soda Pop Stop - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Tacos El Pelon - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Viva Taco Azteca - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
La Cuevita - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Mount Analog - Highland Park - Los Angeles, CA
Highland Park is a great option for those that do not want to drop the cash to live in Echo Park or Silver Lake. Adjacent Eagle Rock is less "hip" and more family-oriented but also a good option (probably less inexpensive though). If you are really adventurous, I have heard Boyle Heights has seen an increase of artist-types due to the Arts District in DTLA proper getting too pricey.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Highland Park is a great option for those that do not want to drop the cash to live in Echo Park or Silver Lake. Adjacent Eagle Rock is less "hip" and more family-oriented but also a good option (probably less inexpensive though). If you are really adventurous, I have heard Boyle Heights has seen an increase of artist-types due to the Arts District in DTLA proper getting too pricey.
yeah, i've also heard about starving artists moving into boyle heights these days due to cheaper housing and the extension of the gold line train through the area. the neighborhood seems to be in the urban pioneer phase for now; i'm not sure to what extent that'll continue, as BH seems to have a stigma among the native angelenos i've met. regardless, it's an interesting and colorful neighborhood to say the least.

also, east hollywood might be a good option for the OP, especially in its eastern section (from heliotrope drive to hoover street, west to east) near the border with los feliz and silver lake. the three red line subway stops (four if you count beverly/vermont as part of east hollywood) are a huge positive for the area, plus there's easy walking or biking access to silver lake from the neighborhood's eastern edges. and the area behind LACC (melrose/heliotrope) has some neat shops and cafes, while thai town and little armenia have plenty of terrific ethnic food options.

great location, too - close to hollywood proper, los feliz/silver lake/echo park, koreatown, downtown, griffith park, and so forth. between the mass transit and the central location, i'm surprised it hasn't gentrified more. admittedly, there's some run-down housing in the area, but i've also seen some very decent-looking places, too (at least from the outside).

Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
yeah, i've also heard about starving artists moving into boyle heights these days due to cheaper housing and the extension of the gold line train through the area. the neighborhood seems to be in the urban pioneer phase for now; i'm not sure to what extent that'll continue, as BH seems to have a stigma among the native angelenos i've met. regardless, it's an interesting and colorful neighborhood to say the least.

also, east hollywood might be a good option for the OP, especially in its eastern section (from heliotrope drive to hoover street, west to east) near the border with los feliz and silver lake. the three red line subway stops (four if you count beverly/vermont as part of east hollywood) are a huge positive for the area, plus there's easy walking or biking access to silver lake from the neighborhood's eastern edges. and the area behind LACC (melrose/heliotrope) has some neat shops and cafes, while thai town and little armenia have plenty of terrific ethnic food options.

great location, too - close to hollywood proper, los feliz/silver lake/echo park, koreatown, downtown, griffith park, and so forth. between the mass transit and the central location, i'm surprised it hasn't gentrified more. admittedly, there's some run-down housing in the area, but i've also seen some very decent-looking places, too (at least from the outside).
East Hollywood is a good choice too. It's at the top of my neighborhoods list as I am contemplating a move soon.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
The general real estate advice is rent for a while before you buy. Make sure the move "takes" and you're not stuck with a house you'd lose money on because of the fees. Rent in one of the neighborhoods people have mentioned.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times
Which LA neighborhood feels the most bohemian?

Non-hipster but still artsy, sort of a traditional, absinthe-fueled, Old-Parisian artsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles