Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM

329 posts, read 1,033,225 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I live in SF but will potentially be taking a job in Santa Monica. Even though I grew up in San Diego, I'm really not that familiar with the LA area, specifically with regards to commute/travel times. I know traffic is generally horrendous, though.

Here's the deal - I'm 25 and like to a live a very active social life. Ideally, I'd like to live in West Hollywood because I go out a lot, enjoy fashion, trendy places, and of course, the gay community. More importantly, I value walkability of a neighborhood and a place that has a lot of character.

However, I'm concerned about the 9-6 commute to Santa Monica. Just how bad it is it Monday-Friday from WeHo? Is taking public transit viable (even bus?)? If bus/car takes the same time, I don't mind the bus as I can read and kill time more productively, not to mention save on gas. I'll admit though I don't want to live my entire life in the car...

I have no real desire to live in SM because I'm not into to beach culture...I like urban life.

If WeHo doesn't seem realistic, what other neighborhoods/districts could be a good alternative as an in-between? I.e., Koreatown? Or how's Culver City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

672 posts, read 2,186,174 times
Look. Just don't do it. The most important rule of living in greater Los Angeles is to live near your job. If you have the option to live near your job, you will be happier. I know that you'll ignore this advice (newbies always do) but, I can't stress it enough.

For what it is worth, The 704 express bus goes from the gay part of West Hollywood to near Santa Monica, and it takes about 50 minutes to get from Santa Monica and San Vicente in WeHo to 2nd and Santa Monica in Santa Monica.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Look. Just don't do it. The most important rule of living in greater Los Angeles is to live near your job. If you have the option to live near your job, you will be happier. I know that you'll ignore this advice (newbies always do) but, I can't stress it enough.

For what it is worth, The 704 express bus goes from the gay part of West Hollywood to near Santa Monica, and it takes about 50 minutes to get from Santa Monica and San Vicente in WeHo to 2nd and Santa Monica in Santa Monica.
For now the 704 is your only option for PT. The problem with the commute from Weho to SM is there are no freeways, it's all surface streets through a surprisingly long distance.

Here's a schedule:
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/704.pdf

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,304,360 times
i know people who commuted from weho to century city and it would take upwards of 45 minutes by car. SM is double the distance at a minimum. SM blvd is a tough street to commute on and wilshire is worse. you could go down to olympic or pico, but those can be slow as well. there's no easy way around it, getting to SM is extremely difficult from every direction so the other places you mentioned won't be any any better. as for urban life, SM is on par with west hollywood, it just doesn't have the 'gay' factor you find in weho. there are certainly gay people who live in SM though. and you'd be surprised about beach culture in LA. People do go to the beaches in the summer, but it doesn't define the lifestyle as much as some outsiders tend to believe, even in the coastal communities.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,149,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
The most important rule of living in greater Los Angeles is to live near your job. If you have the option to live near your job, you will be happier.
Maybe, but not necessarily. My best friend commutes 600 miles a week around LA County. He listens to recorded books (the 24-CD unabridged kind---he has really become an expert on some topics!) and does his heavy thinking. It's his "alone time." He no linger stresses on the idiot drivers. He's been doing this for 14 years now.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,843,824 times
I feel you OP.

I live in West Hollywood (Santa Monica & La Cienega) and work in Beverly Hills (Wilshire & La Cienega) and I have to agree with others. Live where you work. When I first moved here I had to commute from Valley Village to Century City; a 45 minute commute isn't the worst. But driving with agressive LA drivers in stop and go traffic can be really stressful when all you want do is get home after a long day's work.

The lack of a freeway to Santa Monica from West Hollywood isn't necessarily a concern. I drive in LA avoiding freeways as much as possible. I've always found surface streets to be much more desirable during rush hour. But that said, even the surface streets from Weho to SaMo will be difficult. The westside is one of the most congested parts of LA. Santa Monica, Wilshire, Sunset during rush hour? Forget about it. Why don't you try googling gay bars or gay life in Santa Monica. A good number of gay people are concentrated in WeHo but they really do live everywhere. And Santa Monica is a nice area to live in as well if you can afford the rents.

Live where you work and make sure your place has parking.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,862,749 times
Most people go to work more often than they go out. So I'd lean toward staying in Santa Monica and playing in West Hollywood. The buses on Santa Monica Boulevard run all night.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,668,998 times
Living where you work is great if you like the area. Personally, I have zero desire to live near my office in West LA as I just don't like the area. Sure, I could be home a lot faster but that just means more time in an area I don't care for. So I prefer to commute. Is it a pain? Yes. Is it worse than living in an area you don't like? Not to me. My commute ends a few miles east of SM and I generally take Olympic, Pico or Venice depending on traffic. My hours are somewhat flexible but I still like to get there at a decent hour in the morning. Santa Monica Blvd is out - it is always a nightmare. Depending on where in WeHo you are, you can go south and pickup another E/W street like Olympic or Pico. It takes me about an hour in the morning and a bit more in the evening on average. To me, it's well worth the drive.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,967,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i know people who commuted from weho to century city and it would take upwards of 45 minutes by car.
45 minutes from Weho to Century City?? What were they doing, pushing their cars??

When I lived in Koreatown, which is double the distance to Century City from Weho, it took me about 15-20 minutes... Weho to Century City shouldn't take much more than that if you're in your own car.

Quote:
SM is double the distance at a minimum. SM blvd is a tough street to commute on and wilshire is worse. you could go down to olympic or pico, but those can be slow as well. there's no easy way around it, getting to SM is extremely difficult from every direction so the other places you mentioned won't be any any better.
Olympic is generally the best east/west road to get to Santa Monica/Venice, IMHO; no freeway entrances, so a lot of people avoid it.

Quote:
as for urban life, SM is on par with west hollywood, it just doesn't have the 'gay' factor you find in weho. there are certainly gay people who live in SM though. and you'd be surprised about beach culture in LA. People do go to the beaches in the summer, but it doesn't define the lifestyle as much as some outsiders tend to believe, even in the coastal communities.
Yeah, Santa Monica is much more yoga and pilates than surfing and beach bonfires... not too many surfer duuuuuudes have $1.2m to plunk down on a 3-bedroom bungalow or $2,500/mo for a 1-bedroom apartment on the sand

There's still certainly a gay community in Santa Monica as well - it's not as entrenched as it is in Weho, but it's certainly there.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,843,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I lived in Koreatown, which is double the distance to Century City from Weho, it took me about 15-20 minutes... Weho to Century City shouldn't take much more than that if you're in your own car.
15 minutes from Koreatown to Century City? Even Google disagrees with that. Either you're doing 100+ on the 10 or you're in a helicopter.

And if you're talking just about the distance from Ktown to Weho, might I add the surface streets are significantly more congested once you get into West Hollywood. Weho to Century is not the same as Ktown to Weho. Eastbound, once I pass LaBrea on 3rd, 6th, Beverly, or Wilshire, traffic is clear. The reverse is simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles