Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,637,706 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel this way. We don't have a balcony and our landlord won't let us put a satellite on the roof so we are stuck with TW. All the other services are not available in our zip code (Verizon, Fios, At&t). My question is do you other people have the same experiences with your cable and internet with Time Warner? Experiences in that they just plain suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,625,345 times
Define "suck"?

Recently moved to Orange County, where we have ATT U-Verse, but had TW in Santa Monica for 5+ years. Internet speeds were very good for the money. 15mbps+, relatively consistent. No data caps, like U-Verse has. TV quality was always good, rarely had outages for TV or Internet. Price was on the high side, IMO. TW had no contracts, u-verse has a 12 month contract for the best rate, will go up by $40/month after. TW TV has good content with the packages we had. Cable box interface/UI seemed to be from 10 years ago, but worked and easy to use. Cable boxes themselves needed to be updated. Could only record 2 shows at once. DVR hard drives were small, especially when recording HD. Removes broke frequently. Exchanging equipment in TW store was a PITA. TW over the phone customer service is god awful, worst in the business.

So again - define suck? Some things about TW defiantly suck, some things are not bad compared to others you mentioned. I've had fios, have u-verse now. All have pluses and minuses.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,018,993 times
I've had TWC for 8 years and my only complaint is the old DVR software. The internet speeds are nothing to complain about and they have lots of speed tiers to choose from. I would love to try FIOS but TWC isn't bad and you can always buy a cablecard capable Tivo if their DVR's bother you. Other than standing in line for 10-15 minutes at my local office I didn't find swapping equipment to be difficult at all. Outside of the first year promotions I think pricing is very close for all of the services. My parents live in the midwest and have DirecTV and I don't think it's any better than TWC.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,637,706 times
don't get no where near 15mpbs and I'm always getting glitches in connection (gamer here). I hate their dvr, it's so glitchy it's sad. When I have a problem I hop on twitter and check the area and there's always simultaneous complaints from my area so maybe it's location based? Idk...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,013,062 times
I hate TW.
That's why I cancelled them and put a roof antenna up.
I now get 120 stations, some of which I really enjoy far better than when I had cable, and I don't get that pesky monthly bill any more.
Bob.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,625,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
don't get no where near 15mpbs and I'm always getting glitches in connection (gamer here). I hate their dvr, it's so glitchy it's sad. When I have a problem I hop on twitter and check the area and there's always simultaneous complaints from my area so maybe it's location based? Idk...
Agreed, other than not getting 15mbps. Could be location based or peak usage times? Cable based internet is definitely finicky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I hate TW.
That's why I cancelled them and put a roof antenna up.
I now get 120 stations, some of which I really enjoy far better than when I had cable, and I don't get that pesky monthly bill any more.
Bob.
Now THATS an interesting discussion - i've thought about canceling cable and going OTA and netflix/roku/etc only. Not sure if it would work for us, but sometimes like that idea.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,993,670 times
It's the only game in town for me. No DSL choices available. I'd rate my satisfaction at B- for internet and TV. The digital boxes are old, slow and clunky and the remotes wear out after a couple of years without much daily use. However, they have a service center in a small shopping center nearby, and I've never had to wait for service. In and out quickly for all three times I've been there.

They recently added ME-TV, which I appreciate.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,173,209 times
I've had TW for over 10 years now--they just gave me 6 months of free showtime for my "loyalty". It hasn't always been the best, but I use the internet a LOT (gaming, video streaming, working, posting on forums). It's probably down or spotty about 5% of the time throughout the entire year, but those are always the times when I feel like I need it the most. The TV is the same way. I throw fits every time it happens too, internally at least.

I had issues with my last DVR, but I just called and they had technicians come and replace it with one that's about a generation old (as opposed to my 6 generation old one). If yours is giving you issues, they'll usually replace it without a problem.

I have no access to fios or u-verse and I'd consider fios, but not u-verse. For gaming, I need something faster than DSL, so I stick with TW. The price hikes are irritating though. I'm thinking of cutting the TV service and just keeping the internet. I use streaming services more than I watch TV anyway.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,065,069 times
I have TW TV. I could get VIOS, but TW will send a human to your house the same day or the next. I ca't even get a Verizon rep on the phone.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,783,289 times
I had good service with TW. Switched to FIOS for value, but otherwise TW was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles