Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 27,103 times

Advertisements

What is the morning commute time from Torrance (Hawthorne and Torrance blvd) to downtown (broadway and W 1st) ?

What about from Torrance to Santa Monica (4th st and 10) ?

I'm starting a new job, relocating from Ohio, and will be commuting from Torrance for a few weeks until I find an apartment closer to my job in Santa Monica - I will occasionaly need to go downtown too.

How early do I need to leave to get to work at 8:30?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Mapquest says 30 minutes.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbucks View Post
What is the morning commute time from Torrance (Hawthorne and Torrance blvd) to downtown (broadway and W 1st) ?

What about from Torrance to Santa Monica (4th st and 10) ?

I'm starting a new job, relocating from Ohio, and will be commuting from Torrance for a few weeks until I find an apartment closer to my job in Santa Monica - I will occasionaly need to go downtown too.

How early do I need to leave to get to work at 8:30?

Five years ago I drove from Manhattan Beach to the downtown area daily. It would take me about 45 minutes on average. It varies depending on traffic, weather, etc. Santa Monica probably 30 minutes. Since it's a new job, I would allow more time.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 AM

136 posts, read 491,627 times
I have a similar question, except I'm traveling from South Torrance (PCH & Hawthorne Blvd.) to Burbank. I've Google Mapped it and it says it will take up to 1 hour 20 minutes in traffic (approx. 35 miles one way). My question is: is this commute worth it if I'm saving rent by living at home? Or is it worth it in the end to shell out 800-1000 in rent for a studio in the North LA/SFV area?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:41 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
[quote=tjbucks;1727484]What is the morning commute time from Torrance (Hawthorne and Torrance blvd) to downtown (broadway and W 1st) ?

I quit driving from Torr. Blvd and Crenshaw to 8th and Fig. last year. That would be a shorter commute than you are planning since I got to stop at the southern edge of downtown. I worked a flex schedule to avoid the worst of traffic and had to be in 7 AM. It took about 40 minutes. Can't tell you for sure at 8:30 but it will be certainly be longer. Also parking will be further out (or "up") assuming you will be in structure somewhere. I can tell you when I occasionally got off at 5 PM it would take me about an hour and 45 min. to get home. It wasn't worth it, I decided to just stay until things quieted down a bit.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Jay View Post
I have a similar question, except I'm traveling from South Torrance (PCH & Hawthorne Blvd.) to Burbank. I've Google Mapped it and it says it will take up to 1 hour 20 minutes in traffic (approx. 35 miles one way). My question is: is this commute worth it if I'm saving rent by living at home? Or is it worth it in the end to shell out 800-1000 in rent for a studio in the North LA/SFV area?

Thanks in advance.
There is no way I can see being able to make that drive at rush hour in and hour and 20 min. The 110N and 5 N interchange backs up even at the best of times. Once the 110 reaches downtown it pretty much chokes. The Pasadena section is old and narrow so things don't get better. Most people I knew up that way would cut out the freeway and use surface streets, but I still think your commute is going to be horrible.
As for whether or not it is worth it only you can put a value on your time and sanity, not to mention gas, insurance and wear and tear on your car.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 PM

so it sounds like everyone agrees that an 8 am commute from torrance to downtown takes about 45 minutes and a 8am commute from torrance to santa monica takes about 30 minutes. That's much shorter than I thought.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbucks View Post
so it sounds like everyone agrees that an 8 am commute from torrance to downtown takes about 45 minutes and a 8am commute from torrance to santa monica takes about 30 minutes. That's much shorter than I thought.
I would count this as minimal time without traffic congestion. On a bad day it could take much longer.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM

136 posts, read 491,627 times
tjbucks, sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread. If you need another opinion I'd say it depends on how you drive. I drive with my hair on fire, if you know what I mean () so I've done Torrance--->Santa Monica in 35 minutes, and downtown in 40 minutes. But that's if you have traffic that's constantly moving at a decent speed (55-75 mph). If you're in gridlock or just shuffling along like the opening scene in Office Space then good luck - it will take you an hour or more. Guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles