Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,215 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to LA as a place to possibly relocate to sometime early next year. I wanted to know what the IT industry is like there. Is it a pretty hot market for Oracle DBA's? I have asked a few of my friends who have been there what it was like, and I've been reading this board to get a better feel. One of my friends mentioned the high unemployment and high cost of living, blah blah blah.

I'm not really concerned about cost of living as I'm sure I could pull down a salary that could accomodate me...in addition to being single with no children and very little debt would also help. I've never been there but plan on visiting sometime in the next couple months to check it out. I've lived in the southeast most of my life with the exception of a few years in Dallas and I'm ready to try something new and exciting....AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM

23,600 posts, read 24,139,882 times
It's decent and there are jobs supporting various enterprise businesses, such as : entertainment, insurance and aerospace/defense, among other industries.

The salaries should be commensurate with experience and educational qualifications.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,173,566 times
I have a friend who's in IT, a salesforce guy. He applied at places throughout LA and OC. Interviewed at two or three places in both counties, and would up in Irvine. They're definitely hiring in IT, but like everything else, it's fiercely competitive. Keep an eye out on indeed.com and see if there's anything of interest to you.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,784 times
You should be able to find one with some effort, it's not a big market like Bay area or NY/NJ area.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,066,922 times
Here's a sample in neighboring Ventura County. These are County jobs, NOT private sector.Untitled Document

Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM

207 posts, read 509,122 times
The IT market has a bright future in SoCal. Google and Friends(tm) from NorCal are buying up land and property all over SoCal.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM

14 posts, read 47,092 times
after SF BAY area, tel aviv, LA is 3rd city in the world with startup cies

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,904,310 times
Yeah LA is great for startups. I'm in IT myself, but a software dev as opposed to a DBA. Moving (back) to LA soon and the wages are comparable and in some cases even in excess of those here in NYC.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,485,660 times
I don't usually see a lot of Oracle DBA openings but there is also small pool of qualified candidates too. You might still have to compete but if you have ample skills/experience then you should be fine.
The well-paying, permanent staff type jobs are not a lot though because due to the market, no one in the right mind leaves such a job. Most companies are still taking advantage of the awful job market by either paying low or hiring contract/contract-to-perm (which is often BS).

Again, it boils down to how well you know your stuff and how well you perform in the interview.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Emperor View Post
I have been looking to LA as a place to possibly relocate to sometime early next year. I wanted to know what the IT industry is like there. Is it a pretty hot market for Oracle DBA's? I have asked a few of my friends who have been there what it was like, and I've been reading this board to get a better feel. One of my friends mentioned the high unemployment and high cost of living, blah blah blah.

I'm not really concerned about cost of living as I'm sure I could pull down a salary that could accomodate me...in addition to being single with no children and very little debt would also help. I've never been there but plan on visiting sometime in the next couple months to check it out. I've lived in the southeast most of my life with the exception of a few years in Dallas and I'm ready to try something new and exciting....AGAIN!
It isn't going to be Silicon Valley and for every job opening, expect maybe 100 applicants, but the jobs are there and the pay is good. Of course, remember the COL is high as well. That being said, with little debt and no family you might as well try something new...Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles