Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM

4,543 posts, read 10,695,546 times

Advertisements

I wonder if people drive on Lakewood Bl and don't realize when they've exited Long Beach and then again when they've entered Bellflower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM

171 posts, read 533,238 times
They would need a high tolerance for poor people? Anybody who has no tolerance for poor people (whatever that even means) probably needs to stay out of Los Angeles County entirely. I've lived in Downtown Long Beach for 35 years and have always been what most people would call poor. Wow, didn't know I'd been offending certain people all these years. Well, to heck with snobs like that I'm going to continue to go out and about and let my impoverished freak flag fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Belmont Shores is definitely really nice, lots of cute old Mediterranean-style houses mixed in with some McMansions and a fair number of apartment buildings. 2nd Street there has a ton of very lively bars and restaurants, but it is very hard to park there so try to get an apartment with a parking space.

The area near CSULB is definitely nice, like the area just west of the campus. Also the LB airport is pretty close to western Orange County, so you could live somewhere like Seal Beach. Bixby Knolls in NW Long Beach is also definitely nice as someone said.

Lakewood I don't know much about but what I've seen was a bit run down looking and not as nice looking as the nice parts of Long Beach. I'm sure it has some nicer parts that I didn't see.

Another option would be the condos in and near downtown Long Beach, there are quite a few, and there is a lot of stuff going on. The condos are often really new and look nice but honestly downtown LB attracts a lot of homeless people and poor people, so you have to have a high tolerance for stuff like that. I don't mind it but if you are used to sheltered suburban living you might be uncomfortable.

The towns on Palos Verdes are definitely pretty and the shoreline is scenic but it's very expensive and pretty remote.

Somewhere like Torrance would be another option, but the commute would be fairly rough, and it's not that different from closer areas in western Orange County.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,136,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
They would need a high tolerance for poor people? Anybody who has no tolerance for poor people (whatever that even means) probably needs to stay out of Los Angeles County entirely. I've lived in Downtown Long Beach for 35 years and have always been what most people would call poor. Wow, didn't know I'd been offending certain people all these years. Well, to heck with snobs like that I'm going to continue to go out and about and let my impoverished freak flag fly.
Well it's why you and I live in LA County and they live in boring beige Orange County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles