Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times

Advertisements

With some exception of south Central(hardly been there), I been to other areas and it really doesnt feel that way.

I been other parts of the country like the midwest and other parts of california. Clean, cookie cutter housing within the outskirts of a small city such as temecula, those feel subruban. Whenever they are walled or gated off, they feel suburban.

However, walking around my neighborhood, I see a corner store, warehouses lining up the side of one of the streets, apartments mixed with houses. Doesnt feel clean, doesnt feel 100% safe. Houses all look different and there is a train passing by every day. I look out from my house and see buildings in the distance and our front yards are concrete. There are several buisinesses around the block such as a restraunt, a store, and a little market.

Several Pics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times
Some do. All of Ventura County, Porter Ranch, Northridge, and Chatsworth have a suburban feel.

The pics you posted are not typical suburbia.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
i live in the valley, but still in the city of LA. i'm not far from ventura blvd, but my neighborhood feels pretty suburban. only a few things within walking distance, but those include a park, post office, gas stations, 7-11, and trader joe's. when i lived in MDR and santa monica, i wasn't in the city of LA, but those areas are considerably more urban than where i live now. when it comes to LA, there are a lot of gray areas regarding urban vs suburban, it's obviously not a typical city by any means.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
I wouldn't really consider Atwater Village to be suburban. It's more of a streetcar suburb or one of the inner ring suburbs that most older cities have.

Places like Lakewood and Northridge feel more suburban to me. Still, being California suburban areas, they are still at a high density (higher than most American cities) and not like suburbs in the south or east.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM

725 posts, read 3,015,268 times
Growing up in the South Bay never felt like suburbia to me, especially when certain areas felt as gritty as L.A. proper. I always thought you had to drive out as far as Riverside before it felt like true track-home suburbs lol.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
YOu're posting pictures of the city of LA, not suburbia. Nothing in the city of La is a suburb. Santa monica, culver city, beverly hills, west hollywood are own small cities and not suburb since they are more urban dense than most parts of city of LA.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
With some exception of south Central(hardly been there), I been to other areas and it really doesnt feel that way.

I been other parts of the country like the midwest and other parts of california. Clean, cookie cutter housing within the outskirts of a small city such as temecula, those feel subruban. Whenever they are walled or gated off, they feel suburban.

However, walking around my neighborhood, I see a corner store, warehouses lining up the side of one of the streets, apartments mixed with houses. Doesnt feel clean, doesnt feel 100% safe. Houses all look different and there is a train passing by every day. I look out from my house and see buildings in the distance and our front yards are concrete. There are several buisinesses around the block such as a restraunt, a store, and a little market.

Several Pics:

Atwater Village is not a "suburb" in any real sense of the word. Yes, it's mostly residential, but it's only about 5 miles from downtown, and most of it was built out in the 1920s and 1930s. Having lived there for many years, I am pretty sure that there are many other places in L.A. that would look like the traditional "suburb" you are imagining (Porter Ranch, La Canada, most anywhere in OC)...

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,911 times
South Gate, Huntington Park, Maywood, feel suburban and urban at the same time, btw Atwater village looks like south central so don't know why you singled south central out.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,853,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Growing up in the South Bay never felt like suburbia to me, especially when certain areas felt as gritty as L.A. proper. I always thought you had to drive out as far as Riverside before it felt like true track-home suburbs lol.
Most newer developments have a true suburban feel to them--like Santa Clarita, Chino Hills, and Rancho Cucamonga--maze-like subdivisions, huge lots, cul-de-sacs, cookie-cutters, etc.

Most of the ~100 year old towns and cities in the LA metro area have some urban features like small lots, modest houses, walkable town centers, and grid street plans. Many of them had street cars running through them, effectively connecting them to areas like DTLA, Pasadena, etc.

Last edited by genjy; 09-04-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Inner core? No. Lakewood? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles