Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,636,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
All superficial crap. I wonder how the suicide rate in the rich and famous crowd compares to the general population?
GL2
It might be quite high next to rich people, but lower compared to the general working class.

If you calculate their relative size as a demographic it might be unusually high in comparison to everyone else.

The stress with rising fame, and then maintaining it when one has arisen and then losing it is hard to cope with.

Not to mention coming to the realization that in the end they're just highly paid entertainers with no real tangible influence in the world, no matter how relevant their films may be.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,289,881 times
No. I never felt that way while in LA...then again I have a big ego.

Walking around celebrities was cool, I didn't think they were better than me and of course they look totally different in real life.

I was shoulder to shoulder with a few in Los Feliz and if anything, that made them seem more real and down to earth. They were going to Coffee Bean, or going shopping at Albertsons. Doing the mundane. Usually they were in regular clothes and not in expensive duds.

Plus about the car thing: I don't see them so much as status symbols as I do, just works of art. Sure there might be a douchebag 20-something driving it who is using it for status but that's none of my concern.

My wife could care less about most of that stuff too so I'm not worried about her leaving me for money. She's one of those who'll still work even if she won the lottery.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,135,194 times
I wish LA and NY can switch mentalities for a while. I want SMART rich people, not celebrities who do stupid **** like paris hilton.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,344,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I think the "small" feeling you're getting is the fact that LA rich are creatively styled, flamboyant and flashy.

You gotta hand it to them because the rich in NYC, Boston, DC and even Dallas are usually stuffy, ugly, and hopelessly traditional.

The only time I really felt small was walking around 5th ave. in NYC and seeing the Pharaoh like wealth people had there. Other than that, LA at least makes you feel like you can have a shot at the good life no matter how hard that may be.
BarcelonaFan, here is comment you made a few days ago. I still consider it the best explanation of what I was getting at, although you sort of seem to have a different viewpoint as of late.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,965,990 times
Quote:

Not to mention coming to the realization that in the end they're just highly paid entertainers with no real tangible influence in the world, no matter how relevant their films may be.
Who said that being a tangible influence in the world is their goal to begin with? Some people honestly do not care to make a difference.... As long as they make money and have a good life maybe that is enough to make them happy.

It's never been a goal of me to make a difference in the world and I bet that most normal and average people could care less either. I also think some celebs could care less. Not everyone wants to be a U.N ambassador like Angelina and save the world.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Well then it shows what matters to you most; looks, glam, unmerited prestige.

Because that is what a lot of LA glam is all about. From Kim Kardashian on down, the look is new money, gawdy and flashy. Almost Jersey-like,

The people in NYC have money, real social prestige, pedigrees, family lineage, intellect.

I am not one to fawn over the wealthy at all, but they have a little more wiggleroom to flaunt their credentials but choose not to. Wheras the new money LA types do in the most flamboyant ways and have less to their name.

Just what is it that you're trying to say? That glam trumps real created wealth just because celebs are on TV?

If anything I would feel more like an ant in Silicon Valley or San Francisco where it's really East meets West in terms of social status; creative and pedigreed. In LA it's just be as boisterous as you want because you're rich kind of mentality. Not too snobby cus it might effect your "karma" , but humbly arrogant enough to enjoy your excess.

That's LA money.
Honestly, the L.A glam lifestyle is more appealing to me. I am not intellectual at all and not impressed by intellectuals. I also am not a tech geek and could care less about Silicon Valley millionaires; I do not liky geeky stuff nor intellectual stuff; it simply does not appeal to me. I would not feel like an ant in those environments because I don't care to be a tech nerd, an intellectual or politics. I actually have no interest in politics. I don't care to invent something to change mankind or to save the world... Silicon Valley lifestyle is actually a major turn off; I don't like anything "nerdy" even though they are 100x smarter than me.

What is different about L.A IS the glam, glitz, papparazzi, the "being known and recognized" factor. New Money flash it may be but it appeals to me more. I am not afraid to admit that I am shallow and superficial and thus I am drawn to L.A more. It's the glitz that draws me; I don't care about making a difference in the world, inventing new technology or anything to do with politics. Really just don't give a damn.

And you are right; looks, glam and unmerited prestige does matter to me a lot...

Last edited by jackie100; 08-22-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,344,867 times
There is a certain aura surrounding the LA glamour lifestyle. Something very boring about the old east coast money...it may have "prestige" surrounding it. So they went to the right prep school and can prove that for generations...they play lacrosse and have fancy yachts..that's about it. Those who like this LA glamour are often dismissed as being 'anti-intellectual'. It's possible to like the LA glamour and still be a real person, and intellectual. It's simply easy to dismiss those types as dumb though.

Think of all the people in the world who decorate their homes with James Dean/Marilyn Monroe type art. You just don't see it with politicians.

There is a certain level of fame and admiration (whether it be good or bad) that only comes out of Hollywood.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 08-22-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,156,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
There is a certain aura surrounding the LA glamour lifestyle. Something very boring about the old east coast money...it may have "prestige" surrounding it. So they went to the right prep school and can prove that for generations...they play lacrosse and have fancy yachts..that's about it. Those who like this LA glamour are often dismissed as being 'anti-intellectual'. It's possible to like the LA glamour and still be a real person, and intellectual. It's simply easy to dismiss those types as dumb though.

Think of all the people in the world who decorate their homes with James Dean/Marilyn Monroe type art. You just don't see it with politicians.

There is a certain level of fame and admiration (whether it be good or bad) that only comes out of Hollywood.
No, it happens quite often in the cities I grew up with (and I'm born and raised in LA!). People still proudly wear pins endorsing their favored politicians or political views. People put bumper stickers and signs on their lawn saying vote for him or her. There are entire clubs, blogs, merchandise, everything dedicated to politicians the same way. With that being said, it wouldn't be surprising to see that many paintings and movies were also based on this country's government, sometimes even portraying or emphasizing them.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Many people do not care about making a tangible influence in the world. I would rather have fleeting fame and the glitz and glamor than to make an impact on the world. I think for most people, making a difference isn't a priority but rather enjoying their own day to day lives.

I think you are mistaken by assuming that people even care about making a difference... I think many are fine as long as they have money and are living the high life. For some people that is enough.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM

62 posts, read 130,113 times
A thread like this always bring out the 'perfectly content philosopher' in everyone.

Not that everyone is lying, but there is a not so secretive contempt for the wealthy that causes many people to feel the need to pontificate about how much more enlightened and happier they are than wealthy people when provoked.

To me, it's mostly bs, but I don't ever expect anyone to ADMIT to such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles