Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM

33 posts, read 74,907 times

Advertisements

OK I'm reasonably sure I'm getting this job in LA now and that I'll be making about $50k a year (salary stuff is still in negotiations but I'm not taking less than 45k).

Where I'm working is on S.Sepulveda blvd, just south of westwood park and like across the street or whatever from that big hospital.

Given that I'm making that much (or that little since it is LA after all), where do you think I should get an apartment?

I prefer a studio. I'm moving from New York and bringing my furniture and stuff would be too expensive; should I try to find a furnished apartment? There are hardly any on padmapper or westsiderentals. If I just got a studio, could I also afford a newer car (I'm used to 20-year-old POS cars that always break down. I would just <3 a car that was newer and under warranty that I wouldn't have to have a heart attack at every red light because of stall outs).

I've been looking up some apartments, as I mentioned. If I posted the general zones here without the specific addresses (I'm wary of stalkers and such), could you guys tell me if that's a decent area seeing as I don't know LA as good as residents do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,021,490 times
On $50k $1200-1300 a month is pretty do-able in my experience. Studios are plentiful in that price range around where you'll be working. You might be able to find a 1BR on that budget in Palms or Culver City. Furnished apartments aren't worth the premium IMO. I'd buy furniture from CL or Ikea. Go ahead an post the major cross streets and people here can tell you about the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Ok the first one is a studio for $950 near Corinth Avenue, a bit north of where it intersects with Santa Monica blvd.

Then theres a studio for $1350 that's on veteran avenue, close to wilkins avenue but really it's like right behind westwood park.

There's also one for $1370 that's on S.Sepulveda blvd itself, between rose ave and palms blvd intersections.

The other one I'm considering is $950 and it's on S.Sepulveda blvd, near richland ave.

Are the prices fair for studios in these areas? Are the areas themselves bad? Would it be safe to walk/bus to and from work (further up on S.Sepulveda blvd) until I got a car?

Thanks, guys!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,182,854 times
You don't want to be ON Sepulveda ... it's too busy/noisy.
The Corinth and Veterans locations are perfectly fine.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,323,681 times
Why are there such variations in studio prices ? I'm guessing the 1300 ones have better amenities .

If you like Corinth and SMB, that's a good deal and location and quieter

Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Why are there such variations in studio prices ? I'm guessing the 1300 ones have better amenities .

If you like Corinth and SMB, that's a good deal and location and quieter
Yeah, they're part of these like big, nice complexes. I might consider the one on veteran because it's literally like a 5 min walk from where I'd be working.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Then do veteran. Also walkable to the many restaurants, bars, markets, etc in Westwood Village (north of Wilshire)

Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Here are a couple more cross streets:

$1500 studio in Westwood at Stratmore and Veteran ave

$1450 1 BR in West Hollywood at N. Wetherly and Cynthia ave

$1350 studio in Cheviot Hills at Castle Heights and National blvd.

$1265 studio in Palms at National blvd and Rose ave

Thanks, guys.

Another question. I'm finding all these off padmapper (none of these are listed on craigslist because you guys said to ignore it, they're all from like rent.com and stuff). Should I bother paying for WestSideRentals then if I'm finding such listings?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
westsiderentals is worth its weight in gold. They vet each listing and even provide background checks incl. with the fee. I found an extraordinary place in Santa Monica through them for under market rent. You can sell your membership on CL once you find your place to recoup costs.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Dont' do the 1500 studio at strathmore and veteran. thats way overpriced and the reason why is because proximity to UCLA. your neighbors will be hard partying ucla frat boys.

1450 in weho. well, weho is a good 15 minute drive (could be double that in traffic) from work, just letting you know. no great reason to live in weho unless gay

1350 castle heights - dull area

palms/national...ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles