Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,738 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am moving from the UK to LA pretty soon and am looking for a bit of help! I am likely to be working in some pretty spread out places within LA. Given that the traffic sounds like it is pretty nasty, I need to pick where I live very carefully. I will be working in downtown LA (prob about 25%), Orange County (Irvine) (prob 60%) and Torrance. If I lived in Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan beach area - would that be a nightmare to each place? Any ideas on how long the different journeys would take? Or any other suggestions on better places?

All of these places seem so close, but obviously the traffic means that they aren't really.

Appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,027,341 times
If you will be working 60 percent of the time in Orange County then you might want to live there. Another option to consider is Long Beach.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:51 PM

916 posts, read 3,702,248 times
Long Beach is central for your commuting with every type of neighborhood you could want.

Belmont Shore / Naples / Peninsula = beachy and expensive

Downtown is urban - condos / lofts (and has a train to downtown LA)

Park Estates, Virigina Country Club, Bixby Knolls = large expensive estate homes

East Long Beach = middle class suburbs

Stay away from North and Central LB

Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,738 times
Thanks for your comments. I will look into Long beach.

Anyone that can give me any idea on commuting times from manahattan beach etc I would appreciate - just so I have understand what I am dealing with.

Thanks. really excited about moving to LA!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,027,341 times
According to Mapquest, it takes 30 minutes to get from Manhattan Beach to downtown. However, during peak traffic hours, you need to add another 15-30 minutes.

Use Mapquest as a guide to see driving distances and routes and tack on another 15-30 minutes to give yourself a more realistic commuting time when factoring traffic.

Driving Directions from Manhattan Beach, CA to Los Angeles, CA

Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 PM

274 posts, read 320,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
If you will be working 60 percent of the time in Orange County then you might want to live there. Another option to consider is Long Beach.
Ewwww. Orange County.

I think you will be fine Manhattan Beach.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,363,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Ewwww. Orange County.
. ya unless you have a family, don't live in the OC.

i think LB is your best choice. it's five minutes' drive to torrance, you can take the metro public transportation train to downtown LA, and the commute to Irvine will take maybe 45 minutes during rush hour. hermosa and manhattan beach are way too far if you will mostly be going to the OC

Old 09-30-2007, 03:51 PM

167 posts, read 558,030 times
Also, Manhattan Beach and area is located pretty far from the fwy, which only adds to the commute time. I'd recommend Long Beach as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles