Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 AM

3 posts, read 12,324 times

Advertisements

Dear all:
I will move to Long Beach soon, and try to find an apartment there. But I still have some question below, could anyone help me to figure out? Tks for your kindness in advance.

1)My wife not driving, so is the public transportation good in LB? And she is planning to study in City College, LB, is it ok for her go to school everyday just by bus?
2)Someone told me some districts in LB is not that good, so which area in LB is safe enough to live?
3).Is it possible to find good 1 bedroom by $1000/mo in LB?

Tks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 PM

119 posts, read 881,147 times
Long Beach is very good affordable beach town( O.K. City) It is o.k. to take the bus to school although try to leave 30 minutes early to be there on time. Long Beach City has two campus Main Campus on Carson Street at Clark Ave and smaller Pacific Coast Campus on Pacific Coast Hwy (CA-1)at Orange Ave you need to find out which campus she will be attending. Check out Long Beach Transit for more: Long Beach Transit | Home Page.

There are 2 very rough areas of Long Beach Central Long Beach/ East Long Beach and
North Long Beach. Central Long Beach and East Long Beach is above Downtown it is a mixed community South East Asian, Latino, and African American mix. The boundary is from 10th St on the South, LA River on the West, Willow Street to the North and Atlantic Ave to the East. East Long Beach overlaps Central Long Beach is bordered by Long Beach Blvd on the west, Anaheim Street on the south, Redondo Ave to the east and Signal Hill city limits to the north. North Long Beach bounded by Del Amo Blvd on the South, Long Beach City Limits on the West by by unincorporated Rancho Dominguez and the city of Carson; to the North the cities of Compton and Paramount and the cities of Lakewood and Bellflower on the east. There is gang involvement in these areas.

Yes can find 1 bedroom apartments in Long Beach in mostly smaller,older buildings(pre-1980's) around the city: Look at Downtown, Alamitos Heights, Belmont Heights, Los Altos, Plaza District , City College main campus area(a.k.a Lakewood Village).

I hope this helps.

Last edited by hgclyde; 09-25-2007 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM

It is helpful. Thanks.
Is the public tansportation in LB is the best in LA area?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:38 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
You can get anywhere in LB by bus.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
Long Beach is very good affordable beach town( O.K. City) It is o.k. to take the bus to school although try to leave 30 minutes early to be there on time. Long Beach City has two campus Main Campus on Carson Street at Clark Ave and smaller Pacific Coast Campus on Pacific Coast Hwy (CA-1)at Orange Ave you need to find out which campus she will be attending. Check out Long Beach Transit for more: Long Beach Transit | Home Page.

There are 2 very rough areas of Long Beach Central Long Beach/ East Long Beach and
North Long Beach. Central Long Beach and East Long Beach is above Downtown it is a mixed community South East Asian, Latino, and African American mix. The boundary is from 10th St on the South, LA River on the West, Willow Street to the North and Atlantic Ave to the East. East Long Beach overlaps Central Long Beach is bordered by Long Beach Blvd on the west, Anaheim Street on the south, Redondo Ave to the east and Signal Hill city limits to the north. North Long Beach bounded by Del Amo Blvd on the South, Long Beach City Limits on the West by by unincorporated Rancho Dominguez and the city of Carson; to the North the cities of Compton and Paramount and the cities of Lakewood and Bellflower on the east. There is gang involvement in these areas.

Yes can find 1 bedroom apartments in Long Beach in mostly smaller,older buildings(pre-1980's) around the city: Look at Downtown, Alamitos Heights, Belmont Heights, Los Altos, Plaza District , City College main campus area(a.k.a Lakewood Village).

I hope this helps.
You're correct, but the term "East Side" can be a bit confusing. The East Side is actually 90815 (Los Altos, CSULB area) and 90808.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks you all for your kindness. The information is helpful for me to decide location.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 31,521 times
also look at rose park which is an adorable vintage neighborhood that is quite safe and had 1 bedrooms in your price range.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songj76 View Post
Dear all:
I will move to Long Beach soon, and try to find an apartment there. But I still have some question below, could anyone help me to figure out? Tks for your kindness in advance.

1)My wife not driving, so is the public transportation good in LB? And she is planning to study in City College, LB, is it ok for her go to school everyday just by bus?
2)Someone told me some districts in LB is not that good, so which area in LB is safe enough to live?
3).Is it possible to find good 1 bedroom by $1000/mo in LB?

Tks again
Long Beach is known for its accessibility to public transportation. You have the MTA Rail (Blue Line), MTA transit and Long Beach Transit, which includes the Pine Avenue Link and the Passport. The fares are reasonable and some of the routes are free. Taking the Passport, There is a free route from Pine Ave. downtown, to the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific and Shoreline Village. There is even a shuttle that will take you to San Pedro and Ports O' Call Village at the end of the MTA Blue Line. There is also a Greyhound Bus Station in Long Beach.

Your wife will not need a car as long as she lives in Long Beach!

www.mta.net
www.socaltransport.org
www.longbeachtransit.org
www.greyhound.org

Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM

34 posts, read 104,987 times
Texasturkey,

Do you know if the Metrolink stops near Long Beach?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
metrolink does not, but they connect at union station in LA and im sure there are bus connections. i would check with long beach transit and orange county transit authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles