Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 PM

463 posts, read 1,293,419 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to So Cal. Has anyone rode the Metro Rail? Is it really conveinant? Is it safe? Looks like would have to catch it in Norwalk and get off in Hawthorne.
Any thought s or advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,919,432 times
The Gold Line is getting an extension to SB county.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,183,978 times
Look at www.metro.net You can use the trip planner with your exact locations. "Metro rail" could be light rail or subway. You might see how close the Green Line (Norwalk to Redondo Beach) goes to your points of departure and arrival, but you may have to take a bus.

Last edited by Samoi137; 06-01-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,386,129 times
I'm not a regular rider, but over the years I've taken the red line dozens times from Union Station to Hollywood - and it's great! Nicer and quicker than a bus for sure! And I've taken it late at night, with no problems. In any big city you have to be aware off your surroundings, but it never seemed unsafe to me.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,088,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I am moving back to So Cal. Has anyone rode the Metro Rail? Is it really conveinant? Is it safe? Looks like would have to catch it in Norwalk and get off in Hawthorne.
Any thought s or advise?
That would be the Green Line. It's pretty speedy but honestly the people who ride it can be pretty ghetto, you get used to it though. People don't really bother you. It being convenient really depends on how close the place you need to get is to the train station, it runs through pretty sprawly areas.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 AM

237 posts, read 669,409 times
Metro is still removing seats on trains to accommodate the growing number of cyclists who use their bike for the "last mile" to work and home. Since you are commuting to suburb to suburb (suburbs have the most HORRID public transit), if you can't walk to your place of work or connecting bus is not a good idea (or your employer does not provide a shuttle), then your ought to consider a bike for the "last mile" of your commute.

Be prepared for a crowded train home, so if you have a bike, it may be a challenge to find room. The train may already be saturated (assuming you ride at the normal commute times) by time it reaches Hawthorne. I would recommend riding the Green Line during your commute times in both directions (mon-fri) as a test to see how it goes and how saturated it may be from Hawthorne at about 5PM.

Yes, Green Line gets a mix, and while it is not as bad as the Blue Line, especially at night, if you just mind your own business, keep to yourself and you should have no problems, but it really isn't so bad on the Green Line that you would feel unsafe.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,631,903 times
I don't want to ask the same question on two different threads but Orange Line Laurel Canyon to Red Line NoHo, how safe is it? I will be taking a night course on Wilshire and will be riding the train back to the Orange on Laurel Canyon and biking it back 10 mins on the same street to my home. Does this sound like a safe route? Sometimes I wouldn't mind walking.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,088,509 times
Taking bikes on the Green Line at rush hour SUCKS. The trains get crowded and the main problem is the riders are stupid and cluster around the doors and don't get out of your way to let you get to the bike section or into the right side doorway so you can stay out of everyone's way as they get on and off. Maybe look into getting a folding bike if you're considering bringing a bike on board. The blue line is way easier because the trains are bigger and longer and generally less crowded, though sometimes it can be bad like when you get into a good spot out of everyone's way and then 5 other guys with bikes get on and block you and everyone in instead of finding their own nooks.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM

463 posts, read 1,293,419 times
I would be working 6am to 2:30pm. Looks like work will be 1.4 miles from the Crenshaw station. Would it be safe to walk?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,881,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I would be working 6am to 2:30pm. Looks like work will be 1.4 miles from the Crenshaw station. Would it be safe to walk?
I would think so, but I'm not super familiar with the neighborhood. Maybe you can catch a bus the rest of the way.

PS - I'm from Orcutt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles