Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,248 times

Advertisements

I have a potential roommate who wants to live in this Hollywood area because of its proximity to UCB. It looks alright on Google Maps (I have yet to go in person). We are about to look at a few buildings, including "Tamarind Terrace".

However, when I asked around my office full of entertainment industry people, there was almost a panic in telling me NOT to live there-- that it was not a good area, and that there were numerous problems including crime, specifically theft from cars and grand theft auto, filth, traffic, absurd amounts of noise, everything is expensive (luxury grocery stores like Gelson's apparently are nearest to the area), construction, and closeness to a packed entrance to the 101 (this one could be a positive at certain times of the day, I suppose).

Besides UCB and the single block that it's on, where there are some little cafes that look fine, what else is there to do around Franklin Village? It is a nice place to live? What's a fair rent for a 2BR apartment?

Because it's such a small area, I figured I had to ask here before I made any decision. I had been looking at places closer to my work in Burbank (off the 134 at Pass Ave), like Toluca Lake, Glendale, and Burbank itself-- so if anyone cares to compare, I'd appreciate it.

If it matters-- and I know often it does-- we are both in our early 20s, American, white, film/tv writing/research employees. College graduates, certainly not hipsters...

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
I live nearby on Yucca Street west of 101.

I go to UCB often and am fairly familiar with the area. I would move there in an instant if the right price was there. Sounds like w the people you asked, Hollywood's reputation preceded it.... The area has some property crime but nothing crazy. It is sort of a 'hipster'enclave. Ralphs isn't too far away for groceries.Franklin has terrible traffic but the area is highly walkable.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm535 View Post
I have a potential roommate who wants to live in this Hollywood area because of its proximity to UCB. It looks alright on Google Maps (I have yet to go in person). We are about to look at a few buildings, including "Tamarind Terrace".

However, when I asked around my office full of entertainment industry people, there was almost a panic in telling me NOT to live there-- that it was not a good area, and that there were numerous problems including crime, specifically theft from cars and grand theft auto, filth, traffic, absurd amounts of noise, everything is expensive (luxury grocery stores like Gelson's apparently are nearest to the area), construction, and closeness to a packed entrance to the 101 (this one could be a positive at certain times of the day, I suppose).

Besides UCB and the single block that it's on, where there are some little cafes that look fine, what else is there to do around Franklin Village? It is a nice place to live? What's a fair rent for a 2BR apartment?

Because it's such a small area, I figured I had to ask here before I made any decision. I had been looking at places closer to my work in Burbank (off the 134 at Pass Ave), like Toluca Lake, Glendale, and Burbank itself-- so if anyone cares to compare, I'd appreciate it.

If it matters-- and I know often it does-- we are both in our early 20s, American, white, film/tv writing/research employees. College graduates, certainly not hipsters...

Any advice?
Even when Hollywood was really bad Franklin Village was always a good area. It seemed - and seems - more like Los Feliz than it does like Hollywood or East Hollywood. While it is near some bad neighborhoods I'd consider it a great place to live. I'd move there in a heartbeat. There are some great restaurants and used bookstores over there.

While auto break-ins are a problem, there is virtually no part of Los Angeles which does not have a problem with auto break-ins (and not that many places in the country which don't).

I'd go for it.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Even when Hollywood was really bad Franklin Village was always a good area. It seemed - and seems - more like Los Feliz than it does like Hollywood or East Hollywood. While it is near some bad neighborhoods I'd consider it a great place to live. I'd move there in a heartbeat. There are some great restaurants and used bookstores over there.

While auto break-ins are a problem, there is virtually no part of Los Angeles which does not have a problem with auto break-ins (and not that many places in the country which don't).

I'd go for it.
This ^^^ Is what I was trying to say (I was on my phone so it came out a little garbled).

But like Majoun says, it's a great area, convenient to PT and to the freeway, it does seem more like Los Feliz than the rest of Hollywood.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 23,248 times
Alright, thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Looking at an apartment tomorrow... hope it'll be as you described...

Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 AM

98 posts, read 847,545 times
I love it there, I have a good friend who lives on Franklin and Beachwood and the vibe is awesome...artsy, trendy but down to earth. Always crowds at the restaurants/bars, a great used record/book store, and a nice (albeit pricey) Gelson's supermarket. Only problem is: PARKING!! Make sure you rent a place that includes a spot, and expect your guests to have issues when coming to visit you.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 AM

98 posts, read 847,545 times
I just saw you are also considering Burbank, my bf lives there on Victory and Buena Vista. I love Burbank as far as safety goes, the Burbank PD do a great job of keeping crime to a minimum. There just definitely isn't anything close to the nightlife that Hollywood has. But keep in mind that traffic will make even the short commute from the valley to Hollywood a nightmare. You could take the Franklin/Cahuenga/Barham surface street route, though...sometimes that's better.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,326 times
Sorry, you are a hipster and there's no better place to be. Good job. Go for it!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,707 times
What is UCB?

That is a great area long Franklin at Beachwood, I agree with the other posters on that score.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
What is UCB?
i'm guessing it refers to the upright citizens brigade theatre?

i had to reread the first sentence of the original post several times before i figured that one out, as the only UCB i know of is uc berkeley up in the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles