Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM

32 posts, read 102,332 times

Advertisements

I'll be staying right at Hollywood Blvd, near metro stops. The only places I plan on visiting are maybe Rodeo Drive, downtown LA, and WB studios in Burbank. It seems like I'm able to get to all places via the Metro, and I imagine i'll be back in the hotel by 8 at the latest.

Any need for a rental car? Is public transportation unreliable/not safe/super slow?

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,925,116 times
Metro's trip planner can help - Metro Trip Planner

You can take the subway (Red Line) to Downtown LA or to Universal Studios (a short walk from the station). You'll need a bus for the other destinations.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,901,205 times
Downtown won't be a problem at all.

Rodeo Drive is a little trickier (you have to transfer buses): Hollywood & Highland Center to Luxe Hotel Rodeo Drive - Google Maps

WB Studios is pretty easy but the bus (222) runs pretty infrequently for some reason: Hollywood & Highland Center to Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. - Google Maps

Long Beach, Koreatown, Universal Studios, Pasadena, Exposition Park/USC, Culver City are all also easily accessible via the rail lines, just some additional options.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM

231 posts, read 815,295 times
If your on a budget and/or have lots of time to burn then yes you can do public transportation

I strongly recommend you get a rental car, you will thank me later

Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,240,552 times
In hollywood you can access the hop on/hop off buses that will take you all over the city. Starline Tours - Tour #1H1 & 2HM: Hop-on, Hop-off Double Decker City Tour

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM

32 posts, read 102,332 times
Thanks for the great info. Thanks Brinsm, now I got a 3rd option to consider :P maybe i'll do a mix of all three, who knows...

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,187,051 times
I'd suggest staying outside of Hollywood, given how many things related to the entertainment industry, even the film industry, are not in the geogrpahic area of Hollywood, and how some other areas (e.g., Santa Monica, near the beach) could be more pleasant, but I guess that is decided already. As noted, you can get to many places by "Metro" (few will call it that, unlike in, say Washington, DC; they'll say public transportation, bus, subway, light rail, etc.). Even in places like Universal Studios (more theme park than studio tour, I believe), that are near a station of the limited subway system, you need to add on a long walk or shuttle bus ride. We stayed at the Hilton Universal when my wife attended a conference, and I took a bus to NBC (to see a show taping), not far from Warner Bros., and to Burbank Airport, to pick up a rental car. Both involved bus rides, and waiting for bus connections.

Warner Bros. is perhaps the best studio tour, but the tours at Paramount Studios, in Hollywood, and Sony (formerly MGM) in Culver City, could be easier to get to. Rodeo Drive has high-end stores. You're going to see it or shop? You could get to more interesting places, such as the Getty Center (near Westwood) and Santa Monica, by bus.

I did not feel unsafe on subway, bus or light rail. Just inconvenienced. Slow? The agorementioned trip planner gives estimted times. Buses are obviously subject to traffic delays. The idea of taking a tour at some point is a good idea. They will transport you. Doesn't have to be a Hollywood tour. There are lots, with a big variety of focuses, including seeing locations where famous movies were filmed (you can also find books for self-guided walking tours), architecture, history, etc. I thought "Esotouric Tours" sounded interesting from what I read, but I have not taken one of their tours yet.

What do you plan to see in the downtown L.A. area? It does have some attractions (e.g., Union Station, Olvera Street, Angels Flight, Bradbury Building, Grammy Museum, L.A. Live, Millennium Biltmore Hotel-- where the Oscars used to be handed out), but usually isn't on the agenda for most tourists. We stayed at the Biltmore twice and quite enjoyed it. I found Hollywood Blvd. a bit too touristy for my taste, but it's your trip, of course.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM

95 posts, read 275,593 times
You can easily visit the places that interest you by public transportation. The only location that will be a bit off the beaten path is Rodeo Drive--it's not on the train line, so will involve a bus trip. But the beauty of riding the bus is that, unlike when driving, you don't have to watch the road. You can look out the window instead, and enjoy the scenery. You also don't need to know where you're going, and you don't have to find parking when you get there. So, I'd say that you'll have a much more enjoyable time taking buses and trains. They are quite safe and easy to navigate if you use the Metro Trip Finder here: LA Metro Home

I disagree with TexasGuy. With the exception of Rodeo Drive, you'll get to your desired locations quicker by Metro. No traffic, no parking, no getting lost. Rodeo Drive will take longer by bus, but that's just one day. And once you fight for a parking spot, you may have used much of the time you saved by driving.

Have fun!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM

573 posts, read 1,363,832 times
well if you end uop renting a car i recommend taking wilshire boulevard from the ocean all the way to Downtown Los Angeles or the other way around, you can really see many things like.

Downtown Los Angeles
Macarthur Park
Koreatown
Miricale Mile
LACMA
La Brea Tar Pitts
George Page Museum
Petersen Automotive Museum
Rodeo Drive
Century City
Westwood
UCLA
Santa Monica
3rd Street Promenade
Pacific ocean
Santa Monica Pier
south of Santa Monica is Venice Beach

Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM

95 posts, read 275,593 times
It's true--that's a great route along Wilshire. But, one can do it without a car as well. Bus #720 runs the length of Wilshire, and I'd say its an even better way to see the sites. Instead of watching the road, you can admire the buildings out the window--there's some great architecture along that route. And you can hop off to see things without worrying about parking the car.

Another way to see Wilshire is to walk it. My husband and I have walked the entire length of Wilshire, from were it begins downtown to where it ends in Santa Monica. It was an incredible day. But, we're walking fools--it's not for everyone. For people in relatively good shape and who enjoy a good walk, we highly recommend it--even if you break it up into several days. The Los Angeles Conservancy has a map of the route with lots of information about its history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles