Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,983,039 times

Advertisements

I don't go to LA county beaches often. I guess since the last time I went, last summer to Zuma beach...there must have been a huge jump of ball and frisbee usage. That's the only possibly explanation I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,572,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
A pastime practiced by dorky guys trying to hit on hot chicks at the beach.
True. Throwing a football on the beach is about the most dorky thing I've ever witnessed. Play volleyball, surf, swim, even bat a beach-ball, whatever. Maybe even a Nerf. But watching farmer-tanned post-adolescents sticking their chests out and throwing lame ducks on the sand while pretending to look athletic is just an obscenity.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,863,330 times
Ban people who ban stuff.

Short of that, how about a ban on public displays of banana-hammocks on old men?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's so strange to me to read about these people who claim they're consistently being smacked on the head. I could maybe believe someone got hit ONCE. But multiple times? Unless they were taunting people to throw balls at them. Otherwise, the beaches just don't get that crowded, and most people have a decent enough sense of aim to be able to throw a ball to each other. This claim doesn't make sense to me.
The weird thing is... I KNOW! I was talking (well, having a minor argument because she's also against the fine) to a friend about this and they said the same thing to me. I had just assumed this happened to everyone all the time. She was all "What's up with you getting slammed by footballs/frisbees/soccer balls. That's seriously weird."

APPARENTLY IT ONLY HAPPENS TO ME!

I go to the beach, like, 3 times a year... and at least 1 or 2 of those times, there's an "incident."

I've just discovered that I have really bad beach karma.

I've chosen to believe that I'm just so crazy hot that these guys are trying to get my attention, hee hee.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,392,726 times
This story has been overblown. I was angry from initial reports like everyone else, but saw the news and read online for explanations. It's strict during the summer months, and lifeguards who see it as a possible safety concern can warn and then fine you. I agree with the new rules, eventhough they are actually older rules that are going to be enforced. Like beach volleyball is designated away from the water, so should be frisbee, football, badminton, big holes in the ground. Separate the people who want to relax and sun tan and those who want to play a game. I would be pissed off if I was relaxing on a spot near the water and someone started playing around me, kicking up sand, and having close calls.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,863,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post

I've chosen to believe that I'm just so crazy hot that these guys are trying to get my attention, hee hee.
Well of course, that's how you shape the argument to your advantage: "So, how many frisbees did you get hit with today?"

A happy positive blossoms from the ashes of the negative. Ain't the beach a nice place?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well of course, that's how you shape the argument to your advantage: "So, how many frisbees did you get hit with today?"

A happy positive blossoms from the ashes of the negative. Ain't the beach a nice place?
Cut to 5 years from now.

"How come no one hits me with a Frisbee anymore?!?!? "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles