Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread

37 posts, read 109,555 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to California from Arizona in the next month or so. My husband will be working at Bob Hope Airport. We don't have children, so don't care about the schools. Safety is top priority. We don't need to live in an exciting neighborhood. Boring and safe is fine. Looking for a 2 bedroom detached house, not an apartment or condo...so tired of apartments. We do have pets.

We need your expertise:

Is there a city/town we can live in that is safe, close to the airport, and where my husband can avoid most of the crazy L.A. commuter traffic?

What is a reasonable range for renting a 2 bedroom house?

We definitely welcome any other helpful info you would like to share that might apply to our situation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Studio City. If you can't afford that, Glendale, Burbank itself or North Hollywood (in the better hoods of these three).

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post
We will be moving to California from Arizona in the next month or so. My husband will be working at Bob Hope Airport. We don't have children, so don't care about the schools. Safety is top priority. We don't need to live in an exciting neighborhood. Boring and safe is fine. Looking for a 2 bedroom detached house, not an apartment or condo...so tired of apartments. We do have pets.

We need your expertise:

Is there a city/town we can live in that is safe, close to the airport, and where my husband can avoid most of the crazy L.A. commuter traffic?

What is a reasonable range for renting a 2 bedroom house?

We definitely welcome any other helpful info you would like to share that might apply to our situation.

Thanks!
$1800-3000 depending on location. There won't be any crazy commuter traffic to Bob Hope airport and you're drive won't be any more than 30 minutes if you stay west of the 405 and south of Victory(and you won't want to be north of Victory anyway).

You can be just fine in any of these locations: Glendale, Burbank, Toluca Lake, Studio City, Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, North Hollywood.

You're money will go furthest in Van Nuys and North Hollywood. Those also happen to be the least safe neighborhoods of those listed above. Both cities have safe neighborhoods, but you would need to see them first hand and decide if they are right for you. The safest areas in Van Nuys and North Hollywood are south of Oxnard and moreso south of Burbank Bl. Also the area of Van Nuys between Sepulveda and the 405 is pretty decent and your rental money may go far there, but its the furthest drive of places I've mentioned.

You will also see that Panorama City, Sun Valley, and Arleta are nearby. Although rentals are cheap, they are not particularly safe areas.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Question How about Santa Clarita?

Thanks to both of you.

Studio City is a bit pricey, so I have been looking more into the other options you both listed.

We are coming from a state where you can rent a really nice 2 bedroom for $1200-$1600 so seeing these California prices for smaller/older rentals takes some getting used to.

When my husband interviewed, his future boss suggested Santa Clarita. I am a bit confused as to why, since it looks like a bit of a drive to Bob Hope. Is the air better there? Rent cheaper? Safer?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Rents cheaper and it's safer. It's also a difficult drive, and isolated from the rest of LA.

But cheaper is relative. It is largely new build which you won't really find in most of SFV.

There are cheaper options than living in a strict SFR, but compromise on location or something like no yard.

Here is most likely what you are looking at if you want a SFR in Burbank:

http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?ty...75061&src=main

FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than $2100 a month for it, if that. Its a great neighborhood, but dated and not that large.

This ones nearby in Glendale and more in line with what I'd pay $2350/mo for:

http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?ty...53385&src=main

Last edited by JohnG72; 01-26-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Rents cheaper and it's safer. It's also a difficult drive, and isolated from the rest of LA.

But cheaper is relative. It is largely new build which you won't really find in most of SFV.

There are cheaper options than living in a strict SFR, but compromise on location or something like no yard.

Here is most likely what you are looking at if you want a SFR in Burbank:

1275ft² - Burbank House for Lease

FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than $2100 a month for it, if that. Its a great neighborhood, but dated and not that large.

This ones nearby in Glendale and more in line with what I'd pay $2350/mo for:

* * * BEAUTIFUL SPANISH STYLE HOME * * *
My goodness, you are helpful. Thanks, I didn't even know padmapper existed. We are still in the negotiating process for salary and moving expenses and may be asked to provide rental examples to justify them paying my husband $XXX instead of $XX. So once again, thanks JohnG!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
To expand your range a bit, Metrolink has a train stop at Burbank Airport.
Ventura County Line Schedule | Metrolink
I am in no way saying there are not good places to live closer to the airport, there really are. Just giving another option.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
To expand your range a bit, Metrolink has a train stop at Burbank Airport.
Ventura County Line Schedule | Metrolink
I am in no way saying there are not good places to live closer to the airport, there really are. Just giving another option.
I appreciate that, thanks. Probably won't be needing the train as my husband's company car is included. I like having the option, though especially for me. I love trains.

Last edited by 5X5; 01-26-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM

After much research, I think I am as confused as ever. Am I right to rule out Van Nuys? It seems like the rental houses are a lot older there and maybe not the place for 30-somethings with no kids who want a safe, boring area.

Glendale looks like an option and I have seen some houses in Eagle Rock...but know nothing about that area.

I have been searching exclusively online but wonder: Is there an online newspaper/publication that lists a ton of rentals in one place?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post
After much research, I think I am as confused as ever. Am I right to rule out Van Nuys? It seems like the rental houses are a lot older there and maybe not the place for 30-somethings with no kids who want a safe, boring area.

Glendale looks like an option and I have seen some houses in Eagle Rock...but know nothing about that area.

I have been searching exclusively online but wonder: Is there an online newspaper/publication that lists a ton of rentals in one place?
Why not take a good look at Burbank. Pretty safe city with its own police dept.

Try realtor.com, when searching pick rental under type of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles