Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 17,770 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna be traveling from L.A. (Hollywood area, to be a little more specific) to San Diego next Wednesday. Planning on leaving around 8:00 am and taking the I-5 all the way down. How will traffic be around that time of day? Google Maps estimates a ~2 hour drive w/o traffic, would it be much longer than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
that will be a rough drive until you get to the OC border. i would avoid the 5 through LA county if it were me. the 5 can also get jammed down towards irvine, but at that time all the major freeways will have traffic.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM

How about the 710 south, to the 405 south, merging on the 5 past Irvine. Would that be any better or worse? I really have no clue how these freeways are, I spend most of my time in the Valley lol

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,787,231 times
I used to commute from Carson taking the 405 to Lake Forest just after the "Y" where the 405 merges into the 5. That alone is at least 1 hour to 2.5 hour commute leaving Carson around 7am.

I'm not sure how heavy the I-5 is but it seems the heavy congestion is the "Y."

I would suggest leaving as early as 5am and be in San Diego in around 2 hours.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 AM

237 posts, read 669,292 times
If you don't need a car down in SD, you ought to consider taking Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains down to SD and back. Much more relaxing. The trains even run right along the beach in southern OC and northern SD counties. It is a beautiful view that you can't take in while driving as the rails are literally inches away from the beaches. They run throughout the day and evening. Go to Amtraks web site and look up Pacific Surfliner. This time of year tickets are discounted, but there are blackout date when full fare will apply because of the heavy holiday traffic.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
If you don't need a car down in SD, you ought to consider taking Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains down to SD and back. Much more relaxing. The trains even run right along the beach in southern OC and northern SD counties. It is a beautiful view that you can't take in while driving as the rails are literally inches away from the beaches. They run throughout the day and evening. Go to Amtraks web site and look up Pacific Surfliner. This time of year tickets are discounted, but there are blackout date when full fare will apply because of the heavy holiday traffic.
This is a good idea. If the train is not an option, I suggest SR134/SR-210 east to I-15 south which will take you directly to San Diego.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:11 AM

298 posts, read 390,070 times
Both 5 and 405 south will have horrible traffic in the morning. 405 from 22 to 55 in Orange County (where I live) is the worst stretch in the morning, so avoid that.

If you take 210 east to I-15 south, it's 30 miles longer but you will probably get there sooner.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,637,640 times
At 8am it's going to take you an hour and a half to two hours just to get as far as irvine

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks for your input so far, everyone. As much as I'd love to take the train and not drive, I do need the car; planning on stopping by Pechanga on the way back up to LA. Plus it looks like it's $75 each way (two passengers), so it'd be out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
This is a good idea. If the train is not an option, I suggest SR134/SR-210 east to I-15 south which will take you directly to San Diego.
Considering this route as the most feasible option so far. Looks to be about a 3 hour drive according to Google.

Any other suggestions/tips would be much appreciated . Gonna be taking this trip this Wednesday

Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce32 View Post
Thanks for your input so far, everyone. As much as I'd love to take the train and not drive, I do need the car; planning on stopping by Pechanga on the way back up to LA. Plus it looks like it's $75 each way (two passengers), so it'd be out of my budget.

Considering this route as the most feasible option so far. Looks to be about a 3 hour drive according to Google.

Any other suggestions/tips would be much appreciated . Gonna be taking this trip this Wednesday
It also depends on where you're going in SD. That said, it will take you so long just to get into the northern SD area, morning traffic may well be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles