Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,236,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
You know, this is kinda sad to admit but I have never actually been to Big Bear For nearby mountains, I usually hit up Wrightwood since it's a lot nearer, but never boarded or skiied in the area. I guess thats also on my to-do list
Seriously, go! I LOOOOOOOVE Big Bear. My husband & I usually go once or twice a year (we've only skied once there, though, and for the life of me I can't remember how it was.) It's sort of our "get away and recharge" place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,903,203 times
When I was in college some friends and I schlepped up to Big Bear in the wee hours to watch the sunrise. Then had breakfast and hung out for a bit. Mid morning, turned around and headed back to the South Bay had lunch, headed to the beach and later watched the sunset.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,542,774 times
The closest I've been is going up in the morning to Big Bear to ski (early), coming back and having dinner down in Laguna Beach, watching the sunset in a beachfront restaurant.

Didn't go in the water though, so I guess it doesn't "count".

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,027,772 times
I've been to the beach and the snow, not only on the same day, but in the same place: Lake Tahoe. And I'm not talking winter either. Oops, OK, this is the L.A. thread. My bad.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,794,135 times
yes i have in my more youthful days, but not many times. It was very tiresome and unless the surf was really good(which it hardly was) and that morning AND the snow was decent i don't know why people would do it. There were not that many days like that because most of the time the snow was after a storm and i definitely did not go surfing after a storm passed through. I would ski at Waterman

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Metrolink needs to offer service to Big Bear. If they did that, you could probably get from Santa Monica to the ski slopes in less than 90 minutes (after Expo or the Purple Line extension opens).
Good luck building a train track that goes 7,000 feet up a mountain.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times
I surf and snowboard and grew up doing both. But honestly there is no good reason to do this in one day, except to say you did it. I mean really, when you go snowboarding you go for the day to get the most out of the trip. And when you go surfing its usually for a few hours if its any good at all. But surfing one day and snowboarding then next is very common, especially for those who live at/near the beach.

Your closest ski resort is Mt. Baldy (http://www.mtbaldyskilifts.com/mountain.lasso# - broken link)which is more for advanced skiers/boarders, except for a small beginners area. The lift equipment is really old, but the slopes are pretty nice if they have a lot of new fresh snow. Mountain High is the next closest and much more beginner/intermediate friendly, though pretty boring for advanced boarders.

Big Bear's two resorts are the best in SoCal, but also the furthest away for a day trip if you live nearer the coast.

Mammoth Mtn surpasses them all by a mile. I've done a kamikazi trip from LA to Mammoth, boarded all day, then drove home that night which is a much bigger challenge than boarding/surfing in one day in SoCal - something any tourist could attempt to do.

Derek

Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I had a two tank(2 dives) scuba dive in Laguna Beach in the morning. Went snowboarding in the afternoon.
You're lucky you didn't get a DCS hit ... supposed to ski first then dive.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Yes.

Went to Newport Beach in the morning and played Frisbee and splashed inthe surf for a few minutes (kind of cold for that). Left about 10:30 a.m. drove to the mountains (Big Bear) and went skiing in the afternoon evening. It really was not that tiring. Kind of dumb since we only got a few hours of each, but we wanted to say that we had done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles