Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 AM

11 posts, read 80,414 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family is considering a move to the LA area from across the country (Maryland) for a job transfer. We plan to visit at the end of the month and explore various areas, but in the meantime are looking at rental properties online and via real estate apps. We found a house for rent in Highland Park that is affordable and seems really great from the photos, and are wondering what the area is like. We have a 2-year-old, so we want to live somewhere that is family friendly and most importantly, SAFE. The house is 2 blocks north of York and appears to be about 4 blocks east of Occidental college. It's also walking distance to the gastro pub The York.
Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 AM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
Highland park looks okay to me lots of nice property and it's away from the city. How far would the commute be?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 AM

11 posts, read 80,414 times
Commute would be to downtown LA.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
The area of Highland Park you are looking at is pretty nice and you will be close to Eagle Rock as well, another nice area. I've lived in HP for almost 15 years and I really like it. Some areas are pretty sketchy but where you are looking isn't really near them. The area is predomiantly Hispanic but is very diverse. Not having children I don't know much about the schools but I hear they are good. There is a developing "scene" on York starting at Avenue 51 continuing east for several blocks. Figueroa Street is the other main venue and is more the commercial center of HP. You'll find a lot of variety shopping for groceries in the area providing some very good buys.
There is a theater on Figueroa that offers $4.00 matinees but is a bit like watching a movie in someones living room as there usually is a fair amount of chatter. Once you're settled you may want to head over to The Vista Theater in the Los Feliz/Silverlake area just east of Hollywood. Only takes about 15 minutes driving and IMHO is one of the best (if not the bast) movie going experiences in LA. The address is: 4473 Sunset Drive.
They don't advertise in the LA Times print media but you can look them up on the LA Times website. Matinees are $6.50 and $9.50 for PM shows. Beware there is only street parking and you need to be careful as some of the streets are restricted so read the signs! Anyway, enough theater promoting. BTW - the commute to downtown from HP is about 15 to 20 minutes except during high volume traffice times. There is also the Gold Line light rail that will take you to downtown as well. Welcome to HP and enjoy!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
I agree with what Social Democrat states except that the school issue is sorta blurred with the Eagle Rock schools being passable and the HP schools being mostly horrible(with the exception of some elementary schools).

I'll note though, that Highland Park, even the nicer areas, is no typical suburb....not exactly family friendly in the same way that a place like Burbank is. And not at all a suburb in the manner that someplace like Santa Clarita/Valencia is.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,582 times
I like Highland Park, alot. But I don't think its for everyone. It does not have the pretty manicured lawns, or white picket fences of the westside. There is a very large hispanic population and most of the white people that I have interacted with are more of the eccentric type (tatted up musicians and artists). However, I went out for dinner at the York one night and count not believe all the tottlers I saw. If safety is one of your top concerns you may want to look elsewhere. I think property crime is on the higher side and there is occasional violent crime. Depending on your background and where you have lived I could see alot of people not feeling all that comfortable walking around (even during the day).
The major downside to HP for me is it feels a little out of the way from the rest of the city.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Isn't Highland Park where the Avenues gang is located and they were assaulting all blacks who were trying to move in the neighborhood?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times

Gangland - Highway to Hell ( History Channel ) - YouTube

Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM

68 posts, read 165,893 times
It's a block by block thing in Highland Park. Mostly working class Mexican families. The gangs there have been there for generations and make up part of the culture. Some blocks are great, some are pretty dangerous. I love Highland Park, but it does get crazy there sometimes. It all depends onw aht you are used to.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I live adjacent to HP, go through the neighborhoods often. The homes up the hills are amazing and there are lots of families there. In fact, I was driving up Aldama from El Paso just a couple of nights ago, marveling at the Halloween decorations and early Xmas lights on the 100-year old bungalows. The ethnic mix is more pronounced down York, on Fig, etc. Lotsa ethnicities mix there- HP is much more diverse that you'd think. I've been living in the area for about 15 years- never any trouble, though there are some small pockets of ugly places. The gangs should have little or no effect on you unless you go out of your way to find them (I never have, but it doesn't stop me from going anywhere I please).

OH yeah, and having a couple of trains stations in HP doesn't hurt either. The Gold Line is very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles