Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times

Advertisements

For those of you working in decent paying office jobs, did any of you all start off entry level in LA? Maybe you got your college degree somewhere else and then moved to LA after graduation.

I'm approaching my last year as a business major in a Florida university. I guess I need to start networking and see about an internship position. But I don't want to spend too much time here after graduation. I want to get out to LA, that's been my entire motivation all along. And when I was younger I would have just moved there already. But I knew that going to school and trying to survive out there would be difficult. Plus Florida tuition is cheap, I've been paying cash. I'll graduate with no student debt.

I psyche myself out sometimes, reading about the unemployment rate etc, wondering if this accounting degree will land me any work. I've read some real pessimistic posts in the California forums. If I could just get a job filing papers or something to start off with, and a little apartment around Hollywood, Koreatown, or even the SFV, I'd be set. Look I have no kids, no car payment or any other debt, good credit, excellent health (no drinking/drugs/smoking), I'll have a degree. And I'm damn good looking too, at least my mom says. LA is more than just an exciting city to me, it represents achievement. Kind of like how some go to New York, well this is my New York. Plus the weather rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
I started off entry level. Couldn't afford to rent, so I lived with family.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 PM

215 posts, read 490,916 times
I just started off at entry level, moved from Minneapolis to LA after school in January 2011. I started out getting paid pretty badly but in 7 months I have been promoted twice and my pay has increased by 20k annually. You have to be hungry and motivated. Let me also be clear that I have a technical degree and found a technical job in the entertainment industry, in other words depending on your degree and industry you may have more or less opportunities regardless of your drive. Good luck to you.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
The worst thing that can happen is you need to move back to wherever you came from. I've figured out that even if you never leave your hometown you might loose your job and have to move back in with your parents or something so moving to LA (or NYC or wherever) just adds some miles to the trip. Go for it.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post

I'm approaching my last year as a business major in a Florida university. I guess I need to start networking and see about an internship position. But I don't want to spend too much time here after graduation. I want to get out to LA, that's been my entire motivation all along. And when I was younger I would have just moved there already. But I knew that going to school and trying to survive out there would be difficult. Plus Florida tuition is cheap, I've been paying cash. I'll graduate with no student debt.
Desert_Scene: Congrats for hanging in there in a tough economy and getting yourself through school with no debt. I am not an accountant but in talking to a few local accountants it seems like one of the few recession proof gigs around, esp. compared to more cyclical industries.

Yes, I think your goal is very achievable. The tough part will be just getting out here and networking. But once you do I think you'll be able to find a decent place to sart over.

Best of luck.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i started out entry level, making around $40k/year with my business degree, which is probably a mid-range entry level salary. i lived with family for a bit before splitting a 2br apartment with a friend ($700 for my portion). i had a car payment and student loans, but was still able to save a bit each month and go out for drinks when i felt up like it. you should like you'd be much better off as long as you can find a job. no debt would have been amazing for me, but i digress. just make sure you have a chunk of savings to live off for 6 months in case the job hunt doesn't go so well.

...and the weather does rule!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
I'm 5 years out of college, and my job is probably considered more of an associate level, but I make about $45k year and live fairly comfortably. LA really isn't THAT much more than other areas of the country, except for rent and transporation.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM

32 posts, read 106,681 times
With an entry level job you're going to have to look for a roommate. In a 1br/studio, you won't be able to put any money away after rent, gas & food, you'll just break even.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 AM

9 posts, read 13,556 times
I have an entry level job in the accounting/IT industry. Just graduated school last year, living very comfortably IMO though I may be getting more than most? Had money saved up before I came and put a down payment on a car and first months rent. Working to pay it off, plus rent (1br by myself), food, gas, CCs, school loans, booze etc and still saving money on top of all that. I would not have moved if I didn't have a decent job here, that's just something I personally wouldn't have done. If you can budget you can live. To top it all off I wouldn't consider myself "damn good looking either". So yea utilize your school and connections and see where it takes you. It's definitely possible.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivekyom View Post
I have an entry level job in the accounting/IT industry. Just graduated school last year, living very comfortably IMO though I may be getting more than most? Had money saved up before I came and put a down payment on a car and first months rent. Working to pay it off, plus rent (1br by myself), food, gas, CCs, school loans, booze etc and still saving money on top of all that. I would not have moved if I didn't have a decent job here, that's just something I personally wouldn't have done. If you can budget you can live. To top it all off I wouldn't consider myself "damn good looking either". So yea utilize your school and connections and see where it takes you. It's definitely possible.
Do you mind sharing your annual compensation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles