Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:48 AM

116 posts, read 614,161 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't already seen in...In this months Los Angeles Magazine, there is a great essay regarding L.A. Freeways. I actually can relate to much of what the writer states as I too have a somewhat romantic view of LA freeways. Having fairly recently left LA for Portland, Oregon I actually find myself missing the traffic and don't mind it at all on my frequent visits back. I must admit I never had a mind numbing commute to deal with when I did live in L.A..

Hmm...Favorite freeways:

1. The 101 North on a Friday night just as you've left Downtown past the Silverlake exit and get your first glimpse of the Griffith Observatory illuminated in the distance. I miss you Hollywood.

2. The 110 South late at night. From it's beginning in Pasadena, through the twisting curves of the Arroyo and finally as you pass Dodger Stadium to see the Downtown lights in all of the splendor. Then continuing onward past the skyscrapers, staples center...

So, any other favorite freeways out there?

Check out the article in the link below:

Stuck On the Freeway | Table of Contents | LA Magazine (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
I like the 118 freeway because it's close to my house and I can easily bicycle to it and watch the traffic.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
In case you haven't already seen in...In this months Los Angeles Magazine, there is a great essay regarding L.A. Freeways. I actually can relate to much of what the writer states as I too have a somewhat romantic view of LA freeways. Having fairly recently left LA for Portland, Oregon I actually find myself missing the traffic and don't mind it at all on my frequent visits back. I must admit I never had a mind numbing commute to deal with when I did live in L.A..

Hmm...Favorite freeways:

1. The 101 North on a Friday night just as you've left Downtown past the Silverlake exit and get your first glimpse of the Griffith Observatory illuminated in the distance. I miss you Hollywood.

2. The 110 South late at night. From it's beginning in Pasadena, through the twisting curves of the Arroyo and finally as you pass Dodger Stadium to see the Downtown lights in all of the splendor. Then continuing onward past the skyscrapers, staples center...

So, any other favorite freeways out there?

Check out the article in the link below:

Stuck On the Freeway | Table of Contents | LA Magazine (broken link)

Those are my two favorites. My grandfather was an engineer who helped design the Pasadena Freeway (Arroyo Seco Parkway). I also like the 134 westbound at the high spot between Eagle Rock and Glendale, you feel like you're on top of the world looking down at all of L.A.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,440 times
the 2, especially going south early in the morning after it rains. you can see the entire downtown skyline perfectly.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM

19 posts, read 97,374 times
Default So many to choose from

Like you I have moved away and considerably miss the LA/SFV freeways. I had no idea why until I moved to a city that only has 2 freeways and a beltway.

I lived in Sylmar where the 5, 405 and 14 all come together. I would have to say that my favorite freeway is the 405 because I drove it so often. Passing the Getty and going North you could tell where the valley began due to the 10 degree spike in heat during the summer.

Plus the 405 has the Budweiser plant with the wonderful smell of hops (acquired).

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
My favorite L.A. freeway is the 90 (aka "Marina Freeway"). It hardly ever has any traffic, since it only runs for about 5 miles between Culver City and Marina del Rey.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
My favorite space of freeway is the 118 around Topanga Cyn. It's another "top of the world" perspective.

I remember seeing the glow from the Malibu fire back in the early 90s from there; it looked like a distant volcano!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM

37 posts, read 142,910 times
I used to love driving the 110 through downtown late at night, the lights, the overpasses, the speed...it's what driving in the city was meant to be.

I liked the little part of the Century Fwy near the end, when you get by LAX - wide open, few cars, driving high-up in the air amidst all the buildings.

I liked the 10 when you come out of all the metro heat and smog and are reaching the end in Santa Monica and you start realizing, "Yeah! The beach!" even if it's foggy or has the June gloom.

And a couple of the transition overpasses between the 405 and 10...suddenly you get these spectacular vistas of the LA Basin, if only for a few seconds, and on a clear day it's beautiful! ("And see over there? That's the Mormon temple. Hurry! Look! Oh, never mind...")

Have to say I always thought it was neat driving on the old Pasadena fwy...simply because it was the first! Especially the part where it still has the short, burn-rubber-or-die on/off-ramps, and the oh-my-god-we're-going-too-fast-who-designed-this-damn-thing curves.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,250 times
Default 101

I really love driving in the 101 from Universal City to downtown especially when you make that curve where the Cahuenga blvd exit is. Just looking at Hollywood, downtown and all the lights at night is simply priceless. I also really like driving on the 110 North from Watts because of the two level freeway that takes place; that, and it has a beautiful view of the downtown area.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,406 times
I love driving the 134 between Burbank and Pasadena. I especially love it at sunset when the mountains have that orange-golden tint to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles