Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 AM

18 posts, read 116,570 times

Advertisements

It's appearing to be a big challenge to land a decent 2bd apartment or condo rental in Hermosa Beach while sitting out of state. Does anybody know of any good apartment/rental sites or someone looking to rent their property or anything similar that could help.

We are looking for preferably a 2bd/2ba apartment, condo, townhome or sfh rental, preferably under $2200/month in the Hermosa Beach / Manhattan Beach area. We are a couple with a young kid with excellent credit, are very clean, well educated and responsible.

Appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Look at it from the property owner/manager's perspective - why would they pick someone who isn't even here, when they have plenty of other similar folks with similar needs and are local w/history? Right now the rental market is going up even though the real estate market is declining - so finding an affordable place in some of the most desireable neighborhoods by remote control isn't realistic. Even more importantly, wouldn't you want to see in person what you would be committing yourself to?

That said, you can check out local property management websites and contact them to see if they can help place you (they would pre-qualify you and you might have a better chance at getting in). Here is one that I check myself occasionally: Residential Rental Listings: Apartments, Houses and Condos for Los Angeles, California (South Bay Area)

As for finding a 2/2 for $2200 and under, you might have to lower your bar and try Redondo Beach (even that will be hard to land). Manhattan and Hermosa are the most prime real estate areas in the whole south bay, and I have rarely seen 2/2 in those cities for less than $2800. Ones that list for less normally have severe flaws, i.e. extremely small, cramped, and outdated quarters, right by noisy places, etc.

For what it's worth, I recently saw a 2B 1.5 bath in Manhattan Beach listed on craigslist for $1450, but the place is located right across the street from Redondo Beach and I saw this same listing about a year ago which tells me that whoever ended up renting it didn't want to renew their lease.

I hope you find what you're looking for - happy apartment hunting!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 67,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaks View Post
It's appearing to be a big challenge to land a decent 2bd apartment or condo rental in Hermosa Beach while sitting out of state. Does anybody know of any good apartment/rental sites or someone looking to rent their property or anything similar that could help.

We are looking for preferably a 2bd/2ba apartment, condo, townhome or sfh rental, preferably under $2200/month in the Hermosa Beach / Manhattan Beach area. We are a couple with a young kid with excellent credit, are very clean, well educated and responsible.

Appreciate any help.
I work in Redondo Beach, it's a great area! $2200.00 a month is possible, just keep looking. Craigslist is great. Also, try rent.com or apartmentguide.com Also when you do find a place you are interested in, make sure you check apartmentratings.com, I learned the hard way, and should have done better research on the apartment complex I currently live in. Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
I'm from Redondo and can vouch for it as well. I actually like it better. There's more room to breathe as the McMansion plague hasn't swept through. Of course, they are all nice areas.

I might suggest...find a short term/temporary rental and stay there while you get to know the area. I absolutely recommend NOT renting a property sight unseen. People can describe, send photos and accolades but if you have no frame of reference, they are meaningless.

Look on Craigslist. Check the sublets too, sometimes people post in that section who are vacating and desparate to get out of their lease.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM

18 posts, read 116,570 times
Default Redondo Beach

Thanks for the replies everyone.

About Redondo Beach, not of offend anyone, I was advised not to consider it for some reason. I was told it wasn't nice anymore. Could it be because of the schools? I have heard from other sources that North Redondo Beach is not desirable but South is better. Pls advise.

Are there any good apartment complexes in Redondo Beach in the areas where there is a good elementary school?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM

141 posts, read 754,167 times
check out rent.com to look for apartments

Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 22,261 times
You may also want to try westsiderentals.com great place to find apartments, condo's or houses for rent around the price your look for.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:09 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,085 times
North and South Redondo are very different. North is congested - full of ugly 2 and 3-on-a-lot narrow homes, small streets and families with teenage children. The teenage children are some of the problem. Petty burglaries, car thefts and such. Artesia Blvd. is the main "drag" of NoRB, and it's the ugliest stretch of road you'll find in the South Bay. Car shops, old bars, laundromats and mile after mile of the ugliest strip malls.

South Redondo stretches along the beach and doesn't have the same zoning - those ugly 2-on-a-lots are generally not allowed there.

Wow, how many times did I use the word "ugly" in this post, LOL. Even with it's ugliness, it's worth looking at NoRB because housing there is the most affordable of the "Beach Cities".

Old 08-15-2007, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 20,650 times
Here are some links for you..lots of good advice above - I have lived in a 2/2 (900 sq ft) condo 1/4 mile from beach in Hermosa Beach for 2+ years at $2,150 - it can be done - but very hard to do from across the country! South Redondo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach - all good - even El Segundo...
westside-southbay-310 apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist Inland Pacific Management, LLC. - Rental Property Management

Old 08-15-2007, 05:36 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaks View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

About Redondo Beach, not of offend anyone, I was advised not to consider it for some reason. I was told it wasn't nice anymore. Could it be because of the schools? I have heard from other sources that North Redondo Beach is not desirable but South is better. Pls advise.

Are there any good apartment complexes in Redondo Beach in the areas where there is a good elementary school?
North Redondo and South Redondo are separate creatures. South Redondo looks pretty much the same way it did when I first lived there 38 years ago. North Redondo has seen more development and isn't quite as nice (never has been), it looks more like Hermosa. S, Redondo still has the same proportions, vistas, gorgeous sunsets...and still has good schools. I don't know who told you that but it's hogwash. I still spend time there and it's as nice as it's ever been. I've also lived in North Redondo and although I didn't like it as much for aesthetic reasons, I never had any problems with any sort of crime nor did my neighbors (this was the 90's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles