Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 15,605 times

Advertisements

currently I live on the east coast but I want to move out to L.A. sometime in the near future, particularly Santa Monica if I can manage it. I don't know anyone, no friends or family out there and all my family is here on the east coast but I hate the winters here so much and have always loved California even though I've only visited for a short amount of time.

Also, would someone like me fit in out there and where exactly: female, white american, early 30’s, single, no kids, christian, quiet, not the party type, working administrative professional

Last edited by charm6177; 05-26-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: font size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,500,017 times
It's always the quiet ones you gotta watch out for

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charm6177 View Post
currently I live on the east coast but I want to move out to L.A. sometime in the near future, particularly Santa Monica if I can manage it. I don't know anyone, no friends or family out there and all my family is here on the east coast but I hate the winters here so much and have always loved California even though I've only visited for a short amount of time.

Also, would someone like me fit in out there and where exactly: female, white american, early 30’s, single, no kids, christian, quiet, not the party type, working administrative professional

Why Santa Monica?
What about a job?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why Santa Monica?
It's beautiful and the ocean is right there. I've just always been fascinated with Santa Monica.

Quote:
What about a job?
Well I would need a job first and i've started sending my resume out there but the problem is employers probably would not bother considering me since i'm not there so advice in that dept would be great too.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
Quote:
It's beautiful and the ocean is right there. I've just always been fascinated with Santa Monica.

Well I would need a job first and i've started sending my resume out there but the problem is employers probably would not bother considering me since i'm not there so advice in that dept would be great too.
Because SM is near the beach and near jobs it is very expensive, as are many other places south of there towards Redondo Beach.

Check this out:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Still, everything depends on where you find a job and might be a lot of competition from locals.

Do you have an special skills that you can market? Know any special tools or special experience?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,106,014 times
you can def do it. i did it myself. no friends, family etc. i strongly suggest you have a job in place though before you move. santa monica will be pricey if you're getting your own place. i have my own but couldn't afford anything too close to the beach. im in burbank, great place still.

you shouldn't have a tough time finding a job. but hopefully you have some skills at least. it all depends if you're looking for a professional career or various jobs. i haven't dabbled into the professional market yet so i'm unsure how difficult/competitive it is in that sense to find a job. other jobs i say it's pretty easy if you look hard enough and have work experience.

if you make your move out here w/out a job, i'd say you need around 5k after you get here from the east coast, 4k if you are lucky to get a job before arriving. good luck!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Do you have an special skills that you can market? Know any special tools or special experience?
Not anything too special although I do know my way around a computer, mostly office programs like word, excel and powerpoint. I am also creative in terms of doing slide shows and some desktop publishing. but other than that, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
you shouldn't have a tough time finding a job. but hopefully you have some skills at least. it all depends if you're looking for a professional career or various jobs. i haven't dabbled into the professional market yet so i'm unsure how difficult/competitive it is in that sense to find a job. other jobs i say it's pretty easy if you look hard enough and have work experience.
I think I have pretty good work experience. The company I work for now is huge and i've been here 2 years. I was at my last job for 4 years. That shows stability right? Before that my average time at a job was about 1 year.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,470,541 times
get a job first and have several months savings to live off of. and be prepared for higher cost of living. I know you're probably focused on how wonderful living near the beach in Santa Monica is but have you thought of all the important parts of moving here yet, like "how will I support myself and pay my bills?"

Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,356,700 times
I have a job lined up, am only taking a week off inbetween jobs, and I got a signing bonus. I'm already getting killed with moving costs, fees, higher rent, deposits. etc. It's ridiculous. Every time you start a new job there is usually a lag between paychecks. I'm going to have about a 3 week lag, plus a short check from my last week of employment. It's a killer on top of the moving costs and I'm not even renting a moving truck. Literally had to give my stuff away.

If that's not enough electric, gas, etc want deposits while they force you to listen to the 5 minute recording about assistance to low income people.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,919,256 times
Quote:

Pretty much any young professional neighborhood in LA. You don't have to be the social nightlife queen.

Make the move! You have the opportunity to do it now.

If you don't like it you can always pack up and go somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles