Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM

101 posts, read 137,559 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are looking to move to downtown but want a nice building. Looking for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath with an in-unit washer and dryer and 2 parking spaces. Budget is under $2,700 a month. It would be nice to get SS appliances, granite, and visitor parking. Any suggestions? I work in Torrance and he works in Downtown, so it's the only fun and interesting area that isn't a terrible commute for one of us.

We were looking at Piero building....
Los Angeles California Apartments - Home - The Piero

Thanks!
JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,636,103 times
The Pierro is in the rougher area.

In general those really nice upscale looking places like Pierro, Orsini, Medici, etc are located on the borders of decent downtown and dont feature the walking ability that the centrally located lofts feature. If new build is really important to you, then its ok. But be aware that you are likely paying a rather high premium to live in those places.

Most of downtown DOES feature SS appliances, granite, etc so that really ought not be a factor. Just avoid Bunker Hill and the Metropolitan as those are older and many units are quite outdated(hence cheap prices). To put things in perspective, my building has that new feature type kitchen, 850 sq ft, $1550/mo in a very desireable area. Two bedrooms in my building start in the $2500/mo range and have the dryer and washer in the loft.

IMO, forget about guest parking. Just really doesn't exist. Even if the building sets aside 20-30 spaces for guest parking, people just abuse it and theres never really ever guest parking anyway. Where I'm at, there is free street parking after 8pm and if I know someone is coming over, I'll move my car into a space around 730pm and pay the $2 or whatever the meter is and move when my guest arrives. If its another time, there are two $6 lots near me, or I try to talk people into using the subway.

FWIW, this is an ad for the Metropolitan apartments where you can live less expensively in the most desireable area of downtown if downscale is ok:

Environment friendly community in Los Angeles! 2 BR 2 BA $2041 ! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2280761761.html - broken link)

And this one seems close to what you are looking for. Keep in mind that if there are not two spaces provided that you can get an additional space for $150/mo or less in the parking lot where you are provided the one space:

☛ Downtown L.A. Luxury 2+2 Skyline, W/D Inside (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2278695423.html - broken link)

I thought this place always looks very nice:

Top Floor Home with Vaulted Ceilings,HUGE CLOSET,MASSIVE LIVING ROOM!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2277563630.html - broken link)

And I found the Blackstone to actually be very nice as well as the Gas Company lofts. There are more that are very nice and should fit in your price range. Your real compromise will be the 2 parking spaces. If you find a nice place that you really like under say $2400, you should just make sure you can purchase a second parking space.

Also be aware that your commute to Torrance is gonna be rough and you may want to consider Culver City as a compromise location...around 20-30 minute reverse commute both ways to downtown and likely 30-40 minute morning drive to Torrance. Believe me, I love Downtown, but I'm not sure I ever want a 45 minute commute every morning, though if your just off the 110 in Torrance, it might not be that bad.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM

101 posts, read 137,559 times
Hi John,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate your insight. I will think we are willing to budge on some things but a W/D is not negotiable so that eliminates a lot of the lofts I've seen. We are just now starting to look so I haven't really dug into it too much. One of the places I've found is the Metro 417, any experience with it or the area?

More Downtown For Less Lease Offer - Metro 417 Apartments - Home

I don't really like Culver City to be blunt. I'm either going to live right next to work (like I do now) or in a place I can walk around with a lot of stuff going on like Downtown. I go to school at USC after work so I've driven the 110 during rush hour often. Just put the music on and relax and it's not too bad.

Thanks,
JC

Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,636,103 times
I walk by the 417 buildings all the time. Looks very nice and I considered them when I moved here. Overlooks Pershing square, close to the redline subway.

It would meet your needs, a little far from the restaurants and bars, but not prohibitively so.

Visit and see if it meets your needs.

Actually I'd recommend taking the red line in and walking around a bit to see if you really like the neighborhood. The ability to walk to grocery store, restaurants, bars, and entertainment is one of the really great things about downtown LA

Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 AM

153 posts, read 637,721 times
Actually, I used to live at Bunker Hill Towers, a luxury high rise (not those outskirts places, this is the real deal). It has everything you're looking for and more. Our unit was a sizable 2 bd 2 bath on the 12th floor, utilites included, parking space (and yes, there was guest parking, it wasn't plentiful, but you could always rent another space if you need it) and we paid $2200. We walked EVERYWHERE downtown. And it was so great not having to drive to so much of the cool stuff. You just find your way through the various connecting office building lobbies and skyways and voila! You're at your destination! I miss it sooooo much. I only left because they weren't pet friendly and I fell in love with a dog which dictated that I move! But you can't got wrong here, imo. And if you ever have out of town guests, they have guest units at a reduced rate. My family stayed in a 2 bd for 2 weeks and loved it so much I didn't think they'd leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles