Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times

Advertisements

Burke residence far removed from her constituency - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-burke27jul27,0,6837597.story?coll=la-home-center - broken link)

Burke residence far removed from her constituency

The L.A. County supervisor is living in Brentwood despite laws requiring that she reside in her South L.A. district. She has a condo nearer her constituents, but acknowledges she spends little time there.

By Jack Leonard and Matt Lait, Times Staff Writers
6:37 PM PDT, July 26, 2007

Bwaaah ha ha! I guess even a County Supervisor is looking for a better neighborhood. Even the condo she owns to pretend she lives in South LA is just inside the border (in Mar Vista).

Summary of article - Reporters 'observed' her over three weeks. She spent EVERY WEEKDAY at the Brentwood house. Every morning she drove from her Brentwood house to the Mar Vista condo where her driver would be waiting. The reverse would happen in the evening.

So her condo is just a parking lot for her car. And even for that she doesn't want the condo in South LA. Across the street from the condo is considered Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:48 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,345 times
Quote:
Across the street from the condo is considered Santa Monica.
Not quite.

Nevertheless, this is a funny story.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
This is nothing new Congresswoman Maxine Waters is supposed to live in South LA but its was learned a few years back(again in the LA Times) she lived in somewhere in West LA either Holmby Hills or Century City or the Hollywood Hills . She denied and she was called on it. I don't remember the outcome if she moved or not. To me if you are supposed to lived in the district that you live find the nicest home in the district and rent or buy it and renovate it to turnkey status: use granite , limestone ,travertine tiles;hardwood flooring, high end appliances from Bosch, Viking, Thermador, etc but don't, don't don't ever use pay from elected job( you'll be investigated).

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
for the record, Gated home meaning a driveway gate but not in a gated community.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Federal law doesn't require that congressmen/women live within their districts. While it may be a political faux pas to be a carpetbagger, it's not a disqualification.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:00 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
That maybe true its a sore spot especially to her challengers and critics but that get a home that fits their position in Montgomery County, Md and Northern Virginia Counties and Cities which fits their position.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
To me if you are supposed to lived in the district that you live find the nicest home in the district and rent or buy it and renovate it to turnkey status: use granite , limestone ,travertine tiles;hardwood flooring, high end appliances from Bosch, Viking, Thermador, etc but don't, don't don't ever use pay from elected job( you'll be investigated).
Agreed. But she might also need to buy the home next door and knock it down to add the tennis court she has in Brentwood.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:52 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
You know she had this problem 15 years ago when she ran for that seat on the Board of Supervisors. She supposedly moved to Ladera Heights back then. This is really a low grade crime. She and her husband are actually two of LA's most respectable citizens. Perhaps she'll start sleeping more in Mar Vista for the balance of her term with all the negative publicity. I hear she's not planning to run for reelection. So perhaps the DA will give her a pass and not prosecute. Besides, would you sell your house in Brentwood to live Mar Vista? I don't think so.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You know she had this problem 15 years ago when she ran for that seat on the Board of Supervisors. She supposedly moved to Ladera Heights back then. This is really a low grade crime. She and her husband are actually two of LA's most respectable citizens. Perhaps she'll start sleeping more in Mar Vista for the balance of her term with all the negative publicity. I hear she's not planning to run for reelection. So perhaps the DA will give her a pass and not prosecute. Besides, would you sell your house in Brentwood to live Mar Vista? I don't think so.

Low grade crime perhaps but it's still telling - supervisor CLEARLY doesn't want to live in the area she represents.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:28 AM

390 posts, read 389,538 times
I Really Don't Think It Matters Where You Live I Mean Common Why Would She Want To Live In South-central. I Go To South Central Alot And I See Why She Dosen't Want To Live There Or Anyone With Great Common Sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles