Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,347,811 times

Advertisements

avoid the entire valley. it's far away and not that social (Except studio city which is overpriced). and hot. I also think west LA and mar vista are not social or walkable. nice places, but not the most happening spot for young adults.

with your price range you can definitely get a one bedroom apartment in any of the areas I mentioned, at least. If you chose to rent with roommates you can do even better.

Personal recommendation is hollywood or venice. Venice is more chill/skater/alternative vibe, by the beach. Hollywood is more stressful, urban, compact, but also more walkable and more nightlife. Not to say venice isn't walkable or doesn't have nightlife, just not nearly as much. So you decide whether you want a more laid back beach or a busy urban center of it all life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,961,096 times
If you get into a month-to-month deal with roommates first, that might be nice. That way you can see what areas you like for yourself. Would your mom/family members possibly let you stay with them for a month or two if you offer to give them a little rent money?

And yes, a car is a necessity. Walking, taking a bike, or a skateboard (that would personally annoy me if I were a pedestrian - and people do walk in LA) would be fine for going places in a short distance around where you live. But you're not going to want to take a skateboard or walk from the Highland Park neighborhood to Venice. There is public transportation, but you will run into some problems going to certain areas from certain areas and can take a long time.

I do have to agree with disgruntled la native that you would probably like Venice.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM

244 posts, read 631,260 times
3k a month at 21? what you into? lol

meeting people is the least of things you should worry about, be social, know how to approach and talk to people and bingo!

if you are a skater, I hear Venice Beach is where you want to be, I'm sure you'll meet plenty of people there

Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM

8 posts, read 11,221 times
thanks much for the advice guys! yeah i figure i might stay with family the first month, as for what i do? im an insurance broker, so all i need is the company phone(which accesses to any internet via ethernet cable) from what you all have told me makes me think venice beach is going to be the best suited for my interest and of course what im looking for! i do appreciate all the help as i would have not known where to go or what direction to lean towards as far as a living and social situation are concerned. much much appreciated!

-Andrew

Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,114,062 times
You have a broker's license at age 21?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 PM

30,958 posts, read 37,188,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starkid21 View Post
i was thinking the actual city of los angeles, not like santa monica or anything like that in LA county but just LA, as for income i make about 3k a month, being single i figure thats decent income. the reason i choose la city is because my mother lives there as well as my uncle. ideally what it is im looking for is a place to where i can just hop on a bus or just take a quick bike ride or skate etc to get around. somewhere that would be ideal would be central to a grocery store, coffe shops and some good local eateries and bars and if possible not too far off from the beach. i can bring a car if needed but i rather not have the extra expenses if its something that can be avoided. at the same time i dont wanna be walking down the street and run the risk of being mugged as well.
It really shows that you haven't done much reaearch.

The City of Los Angeles is around 465 square miles! That doesn't include the numerous suburban communities that stretch far beyond the city limits.

Also, 36K is a good income for someone your age...but you haven't even mentioned whether you plan to have your own apartment or have roommates. 36K a year is not much if you plan on renting your own apartment, especially one near tha beach. That's expecially true if you want to be in a neighborhood where lots of practical and fun things are within walking distance. Lots of people who make more money than you want to live in neigbhorhoods like the theoretical one you describe, and they can easily outbid you for an apartment.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,418 times
Thanks for that good advice. I really appreciate .

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,263,660 times
Quote:
so im 21 years old, im moving to los angeles next month to start a new life. I have a work from home job making excellent money right now. the problem is this, the only people i know in LA is just family. my eventual goal is to meet some people get some friends and just make the best out of the LA experience. Any advice? im 21, i skateboard, smoke(420) and drink sometimes. i have never been to LA so im kind of going in the dark. what is the best way to accomplish making friends, meeting people, being social...etc
I expect to move to a city where I don't know anybody too. In my case it might be even better because I have no relatives there and it's sink or swim for me. My plan should work for you too.

Get involved in activities, clubs, classes and hobbies, to meet people with similar interests. I'm going to take classes in art and handicrafts, yoga, maybe tai chi. Might join a gym. I'll also locate some hiking clubs (like Sierra Club) and go on their hikes and other activities. Sierra Club in Los Angeles is very active and I've been on many of their singles hikes and there's plenty activities to choose from all over the city, both evenings and weekends. I think there's even a 20s & 30s singles section for you. The hike participants generally meet after the hike for beer and pizza or something like that so you can socialize and meet. I'm going to try online dating too.

I think the biggest problem is meeting your first few friends. After that you can meet friends through your new friends and expand your social circle. Well that's my plan and I think it has a good chance of working for almost anybody.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM

559 posts, read 1,385,828 times
In case access to quality skateparks is important to you, check out SoCal Skateparks. It has descriptions and ratings of area skateparks, including a top 20. I see plenty of young people using skateboards for transportation.

The combination of Metro Rail, Metro Bus and municipal buses can get you virtually everywhere. Check L.A. Metro Home. Sure, most people drive but many people use public transpo exclusively. It's up to you whether this arrangement works for you or not. Living near one of the Metro Rail lines might be convenient. If you pick semi-carefully, you can find a place where you can be within walking or biking distance to most of your needs.

I agree with the above suggestion that you may not have an accurate idea of how expansive the City of Los Angeles truly is. It's outer limits are much farther away from its downtown than many adjacent incorporated cities. Some cities lie entirely within Los Angeles, like a vacuole in an amoeba. Honestly, unless you see a sign, you won't notice that you've moved from one district/neighborhood to another within the City of Los Angeles or to another city entirely.

Your budget sound very reasonable, especially if you live with roommates, and you don't go nuts with expenses.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Get involved in activities, clubs, classes and hobbies, to meet people with similar interests. I'm going to take classes in art and handicrafts, yoga, maybe tai chi. Might join a gym. I'll also locate some hiking clubs (like Sierra Club) and go on their hikes and other activities. Sierra Club in Los Angeles is very active and I've been on many of their singles hikes and there's plenty activities to choose from all over the city, both evenings and weekends. I think there's even a 20s & 30s singles section for you. The hike participants generally meet after the hike for beer and pizza or something like that so you can socialize and meet. I'm going to try online dating too.
Boldface type is mine.

What kind of behavior is this for a "Curmudgeon & Misanthrope?" You're ruining my image of you as Red Green. Oh well, I can still picture Fontucky as Red Green.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 01-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Added and fixed link

Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,546,136 times
Quote:
how is LA in comparison to NYC, in the sense that when your walking down the streets theres just people EVERYWHERE? i dont usually have trouble making friends, but from what ive heard everyone in LA is very cliquey etc...i figure im probally gonna go to the skatepark and coffe shops alot. ive got some money saved in the meanwhile which will take care of the living situation.
Los Angeles is urban SPRAWL. Long Long Long streets/boulevards blocks are long long long. People don't walk here everything is in the car. You'll definitely need one to get around town. Unless, you move to an area where everything is in walking distance.

NYC is very densely populated, LA is dense but only when you look at the freeway traffic will it really hit you.

Make sure you have at least 3 months rent saved up at all times. That will help you get over the rough income times easier.

I would also recommend Venice for you - lots of cafe's around Abbot Kinney and on the strand to check out. Venice strand has tons of people and I'm sure you'll find kindred spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles