Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:15 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times

Advertisements

Aren't the bulk of LA Persians Jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 04:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Aren't the bulk of LA Persians Jewish?
Westside/SFV persians, yes.

But the Jewish populaiton in Iran is well under 100,000 while the total population there is what, over 70 million. most of them came to beverly hills.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Some people don't think of it, but Boston is #2. Brazilian immigrants have been relocating to Boston for more than 25 years.
No surprise considering there has been a large Portuguese population in New England since the 19th century and Brazilians often move to places with long established Portuguese populations. Not just in the US but also in Canada and France.

Given the tendency for Lusophones to move to places where other Lusophones have a long established presence, one would expect more Brazilians in both Northern and Southern California. Perhaps it's because Brazil in recent years has made progress towards solving its problems and is doing much better, thus there's less reason for middle class Brazilians to emigrate (and from having once lived in Palms where Brazilians are one part of the multiethnic, multinational diverse fabric, ISTM most Brazilians in L.A. are from middle class backgrounds)

Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have lived in California for 43 out of 45 years and can't figure out what you guys are talking about when you say regular American girls. What the heck is that? Today I will spend time with my wifes family and I will be surrounded by 20 or 30 regular American girls and as many regular American guys. They grew up here, they watch regular American TV, have regular American dreams and thoughts. Oh and many of them speak both Spanish and English. They make fun of the people that just crossed the border calling them Chedders. Funny thing is that their grandparents were the Chedders in their day. These girls are as American as any American I have ever seen with their Coach Purses and their fashionable clothes. So I am wondering what do you mean by Regular American?
Compared to persian, latina, black, asian, eastern european, etc "regular american" is just, blonde or brunette. Middle class or upper middle class parents. Someone you would find in any city in america.

There's so many girls with accents here, "Regular american" is someone with no accent. Only speaks english at home. That would be my definition.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I grew up here on the coast and regular to me and most of us that are from here is living around regular Americans that may speak more than one language and have regular immigrant parents or grandparents. I was under the impresion that all of us are the parents of immigrants or ancestors that immigrated at one time or another. My grandmother spoke Polish and her family imigrated from Poland and ended up in Chicago. Would that make my mom a non regular American?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Compared to persian, latina, black, asian, eastern european, etc "regular american" is just, blonde or brunette. Middle class or upper middle class parents. Someone you would find in any city in america.

There's so many girls with accents here, "Regular american" is someone with no accent. Only speaks english at home. That would be my definition.
What about someone like me or my sister: blonde-haired, blue-eyed Americans with Boston accents?

My accent was pretty popular back in school... I'll say that much.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
And I'm a red-headed, blue-eyed Armenian! What does that make me?

(and MY Boston accent only comes out slightly when I've been drinking, heh)

Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times

Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
And I'm a red-headed, blue-eyed Armenian! What does that make me?

(and MY Boston accent only comes out slightly when I've been drinking, heh)
Yeah, same here, these days. I mean, at one point I realized that I was the only person in class who had an accent from the Northeast, and worried that I sounded like Peter Griffin to them... so I've successfully toned it down.

On the topic of red-headed/blue-eyed Armenians, did you ever get to Eastern Lamejun bakery near the Cambridge/Belmont line? I lived somewhat close to there for a couple years and would get the spinach & feta turnovers there... deeeeelicious... and there was a scorching hot Armenian girl who worked there who had really striking green eyes and reddish-brown hair. ZOMFG, she was hot. Not to flog a dead horse but yeah, think Kim Kardashian, just 5'1 and with a bigger chest. She asked for my number once but I was taken at the time x 10,000,000.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Sort of off the subject but does anyone know why so many Persians and Armenians settled in Los Angeles metro? It would seem that the East Coast would have been the first destination not California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles