Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 PM

167 posts, read 557,702 times

Advertisements

I am house hunting in the SW area of LA. I'd like to find the area of Inglewood that people refer to as "The Avenues". Based on the input I received from a fellow CD forum member I drove thru the streets east of Crenshaw south of Manchester but can't seem to find the area that everyone talks about. In fact, I've been told that during the holidays this particular area is a popular for stunning Christmas lights & decorations.

I hope someone can give me an exact area or as close to exactness as possible. :-)

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
I am house hunting in the SW area of LA. I'd like to find the area of Inglewood that people refer to as "The Avenues". Based on the input I received from a fellow CD forum member I drove thru the streets east of Crenshaw south of Manchester but can't seem to find the area that everyone talks about. In fact, I've been told that during the holidays this particular area is a popular for stunning Christmas lights & decorations.

I hope someone can give me an exact area or as close to exactness as possible. :-)

Many thanks!
"Tha Avenues" (http://inglewood.ning.com/group/ThaAvenues - broken link)

Possibility ... North of Manchester

Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,543 times
The parts immediately south of Ladera Heights are nice (keep north of Centinela).

Last edited by King0fthehill; 12-12-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM

60 posts, read 241,652 times
Morningside Park in Inglewood is one of the best kept secrets in LA County. Lots of professionals. Absolutely beautiful and safe, looks like Palos Verdes, it's on a hill and on a clear day you can see downtown and the Hollywood sign.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks LALove24, that's exactly the area I am looking for. I am still somewhat uncertain about where the area you are referring to is located (the area on the hill). I am looking between Manchester and Hardy but the area you mention is a little farther south, isn't it?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post

Many thanks!
You were there. The area referred to as "The Avenues" is bordered by Century Blvd. on the South, Crenshaw Blvd. on the West, Manchester Ave. on the North, and Van Ness Ave. on the East. Make it a point t check out the Christmas decorations at night if you can. Be sure you have gasoline and that your car can handle slow traffic for extended periods without overheating.

In terms of looking for housing, there are also some nice Inglewood / Los Angeles neighborhoods just North of Manchester Ave., West of Van Ness, East of Crenshaw, extending into the 80s and 70s (85th St., 79th St., etc). Farther North and West (just East of La Cienega, North of Centenila Ave.) there are a few nice pockets of homes. You might event want to considers some parts of Culver City.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM

135 posts, read 476,468 times
SloRoller is exactly right. I lived just a few blocks on down Century Blvd from the Aves for years and every Christmas they would have almost every house on each ave covered in lights. Some of the houses south of Century are decorated too so I would extended the southern boundary to 104th St.

Now, as far as looking for a house LALove24 is right. Infact, there are some nice homes in quite a few pockets. For example, heading north on Crenshaw, the blvd takes a sharp left. That street straight ahead is 8th Ave. All up in there behind that Big Lots....nice homes! From about Gramercy on the east to 8th Ave, south of Manchester, nice, well kept homes and lawns. It narrows the futher south you go, then, it spreads again.

In LA if you get a couple of blocks away from a major street you'll be thoroughly surprised how nice the neighbourhood looks. Even east of Western and north of Imperial there are a few streets with nice homes. Once you start getting close to Normandie however things kinda start going down generally. But again, look beyond the first few blocks for those little pockets.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 PM

Thank you!!!! I had almost given up trying to find the area and now I have it w/ detail. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles