Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,570 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA for a new job. I will be working downtown, LA Live area. My communte hours will be 11am to 8pm or something similar so I probably won't be hitting rush hour traffic. I have looked in areas like Santa Clarita/Valencia or the Inland Empire (Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario) and up and down the 110 freeway. I just need some recommendations where a budget of $1600 a month would be doable for a 3 to 4 bedroom house. I know the further away from LA this is possible but is the communte going to be too far and take too long.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Just keep the following in mind: The key to sanity in Southern California is the shortest commute possible.

That should be welded to the top of the forum.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Just keep the following in mind: The key to sanity in Southern California is the shortest commute possible.
The wise Fontucky speaks the truth.

You're in for a surprise ...... not commuting during rush hour traffic helps only slightly. There is ALWAYS some form of traffic. Just this past weekend I sat in 45 minutes of dead-stop traffic due to a CHP clearing an accident. This was at 11pm on a Sunday night. This is not outside the realm of possibility, and this happened to be on your direct route from Rancho to DTLA.

You will not enjoy life living in the places you mention, with that commute.

Last edited by 1200RT; 12-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: fixed messed up quote formatting.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehrsonc View Post
I am moving to LA for a new job. I will be working downtown, LA Live area. My communte hours will be 11am to 8pm or something similar so I probably won't be hitting rush hour traffic. I have looked in areas like Santa Clarita/Valencia or the Inland Empire (Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario) and up and down the 110 freeway. I just need some recommendations where a budget of $1600 a month would be doable for a 3 to 4 bedroom house. I know the further away from LA this is possible but is the communte going to be too far and take too long.
Thanks for any help.
Get familiar with metrolink. You may be able to live farther (cheaper) away but for some reason $1600 for a three or four bedroom house sounds kind of low, even far away.

HousingMaps
MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,570 times
maybe i should mention also that i have two small kids so i am looking for a good school district. also what is the difference between metrolink and metro? one is a train and one is the subway?
what are some good areas to then? please be specific as possible.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 PM

396 posts, read 906,174 times
Quote:
maybe i should mention also that i have two small kids so i am looking for a good school district. also what is the difference between metrolink and metro? one is a train and one is the subway?
Metrolink is an actual commuter train. Think amtrak like trains.

Metro is the cities light rail/subway/bus network. It's a lot cheaper than Metrolink but doesn't have the range of metrolink.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
The thing is (I didn't check), I wonder if metro or metrolink trains would work for you at those hours? If they do (and even if they don't), Simi Valley, Moorpark may work. Good schools in many neighborhoods, train service, low crime. Burbank might be too expensive (I didn't check). Something has to give but you do have the advantage of the somewhat off hours. I don't really know the areas east of downtown and south of downtown seems either undesirable (crime, bad schools) or expensive (near the coast). Not sure of east of downtown. West of downtown seems expensive too, but I don't know those areas either.

From the link I provided above:

Beautiful Remodeled Home! (http://ventura.craigslist.org/reo/2099739921.html - broken link)

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 43,513 times
With that budget it will be hard to find a single family home with that many bedrooms. Would maybe try looking into townhomes or apartments. This site might be able to help you http://www.sfvalleyapartments.com/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles