Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 26,364 times

Advertisements

A While back I had posted that my wife and I had always wanted to move to L.A. I had recived some good advise, so Im back with another question. Im curently a fireman/medic in the southwest for the biggest city in our state , i looked into other FD's in the L.A area some are hireing.
I currently own and operate a small welding business here on my off days from the fd. I do everything from custom car and bike work (metal Fab) general welding and fab, my main money maker is Wrought iron gates, fencing handrail ect. Business here is slow VERY slow due to the economy . A good part of my business relies on construction industry custom homes mainly and I know construction is slow across the country, my question is roughly how many wrought iron shops in and around L.A is there. do they seem to be working (do you notice) ? We travel to L.A often and i see wrought iron all over that area. seems everyone has it either for decoration or security.
Another Question how hard is it to get a small business going in the L.A area? taxes red tape ect, some cities are harder than others. Seems CA in general is stricter than other states with business is this true.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 AM

25 posts, read 78,674 times
Zoning and licensing will be headaches for your kind of business. Also, inspections from county, city, etc. It's very hard to start and run a small business in LA, unless you do it illegally in a sketchy neighborhood where all your neighbors are doing the same thing.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:23 PM

45 posts, read 106,001 times
"my question is roughly how many wrought iron shops in and around L.A is there"

Why don't you call one and find out? Seriously, I know this is going to sound weird, but a great many small business owners don't mind helping out someone who's starting out.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingfireman View Post
A While back I had posted that my wife and I had always wanted to move to L.A. I had recived some good advise, so Im back with another question. Im curently a fireman/medic in the southwest for the biggest city in our state , i looked into other FD's in the L.A area some are hireing.
I currently own and operate a small welding business here on my off days from the fd. I do everything from custom car and bike work (metal Fab) general welding and fab, my main money maker is Wrought iron gates, fencing handrail ect. Business here is slow VERY slow due to the economy . A good part of my business relies on construction industry custom homes mainly and I know construction is slow across the country, my question is roughly how many wrought iron shops in and around L.A is there. do they seem to be working (do you notice) ? We travel to L.A often and i see wrought iron all over that area. seems everyone has it either for decoration or security.
Another Question how hard is it to get a small business going in the L.A area? taxes red tape ect, some cities are harder than others. Seems CA in general is stricter than other states with business is this true.

Thanks in advance for your input.
If you have the money to set up,support yourselves in the early days and can produce work like this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD7t4UjkEmc

Then will survive a probably do quite well as you mentioned there is a big demand, however if you aim to produce basic stuff,forget it because you will be competing with hundreds of illegal operations and almost all bodyshops who will do this kind of work on the side.

If you have very high level skills and can weld magnesium/titanium/stainless to high standard then plenty of work exists in the development and engineering experimental areas.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles